Future of festivals...

LEts see how this goes

And Hancock also told MPs that lateral flow tests - Covid tests that can deliver results within minutes - started to be rolled out yesterday to schools and universities. Explaining what they could do, he said:

If we can deliver a mass testing solution so that pupils in a bubble don’t have to isolate for a fortnight when one in a bubble tests positive, we will not only control the spread of the virus, we will protect education better, and help schools and teachers and parents to live their lives much closer to normal.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definitely- I am young and healthy so covid doesnt really matter much to me. I would probably do my own test a couple of days before, then if it was positive maybe wear a mask all weekend and sleep in

Would it be feasible just to simply say, if you are over about 50 and/or have underlying health issues, just stay the fuck at home and dont go to festivals until we have a vaccine in place? Its not th

Quite. Given that the deposits will be ~18 months old by the time any decision comes, and a precedent of sorts was set the first time, there'd be a far stronger case to roll peoples deposits over

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

LEts see how this goes

And Hancock also told MPs that lateral flow tests - Covid tests that can deliver results within minutes - started to be rolled out yesterday to schools and universities. Explaining what they could do, he said:

If we can deliver a mass testing solution so that pupils in a bubble don’t have to isolate for a fortnight when one in a bubble tests positive, we will not only control the spread of the virus, we will protect education better, and help schools and teachers and parents to live their lives much closer to normal.

This is the reshaped operation moonshot. They've given up on the general mass population trial.

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Don't they in part do these every year though? Yes there are security checks for prohibited items to meet licence requirements.

You've answered your own question. Fans are told the rules and there are security checks to demonstrate compliance. How do you check a fan is isolating bar tagging them in their home and/or sending security round. 

6 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Can't be a home test - since some people would fake it. At the gate would be chaos - someone tests positive, then everyone around them has to wear a special "keep away from me" hat. Which, would be good at the bars...

I wear one of those hats most years.

3 hours ago, zahidf said:

LEts see how this goes

If this works we could be in a good position with gigs and day festivals at least-  if this test can be done now, in October/November, and it works then imagine how many could be produced by mid-2021. Yes Glastonbury is in doubt because of the extra considerations, but from a bigger picture point of view this could give us live music and events back, and more importantly give that industry their jobs back. 

Some bad medical news

A ban on public events is the single best way to reduce the spread of coronavirus, researchers have found, although a combination of measures is even better.

The study, published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases, involved analysing data relating to non-pharmaceutical interventions in 131 countries, together with changes in their R figure – the average number of people each infected person goes on to infect.

While experts have cautioned that it is unwise to focus on just one metric when it comes to looking at an epidemic, R is an important figure as it gives a sense of whether an epidemic is growing or shrinking.

The new study examined the impact of applying and then relaxing various different interventions, from closing schools to working from home, on the R figure up to 28 days after the rule change was made.

The results reveal that banning public events reduced the R figure by 24% by day 28, with the team suggesting that could be down to it preventing super-spreading events.

Prof Harish Nair, co-author of the study from the University of Edinburgh, said:

Although no single measure is sufficient, [a] ban on public events is perhaps the single intervention that has maximum impact on spread of SARS CoV-2.

However, measures such as telling people to stay at home or only gather in groups of less than 10 had little impact by day 28 – something the team suggests might be down, at least in part, to people not sticking to the rules, or such measures being imposed later.

When looking at which measures led to an uptick in R, the team found reopening schools and relaxing bans on gatherings of more than ten people had the biggest effect, increasing R by 24% and 25% respectively by day 28.

20 hours ago, zahidf said:

Some bad medical news

A ban on public events is the single best way to reduce the spread of coronavirus, researchers have found, although a combination of measures is even better.

The study, published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases, involved analysing data relating to non-pharmaceutical interventions in 131 countries, together with changes in their R figure – the average number of people each infected person goes on to infect.

While experts have cautioned that it is unwise to focus on just one metric when it comes to looking at an epidemic, R is an important figure as it gives a sense of whether an epidemic is growing or shrinking.

The new study examined the impact of applying and then relaxing various different interventions, from closing schools to working from home, on the R figure up to 28 days after the rule change was made.

The results reveal that banning public events reduced the R figure by 24% by day 28, with the team suggesting that could be down to it preventing super-spreading events.

Prof Harish Nair, co-author of the study from the University of Edinburgh, said:

Although no single measure is sufficient, [a] ban on public events is perhaps the single intervention that has maximum impact on spread of SARS CoV-2.

However, measures such as telling people to stay at home or only gather in groups of less than 10 had little impact by day 28 – something the team suggests might be down, at least in part, to people not sticking to the rules, or such measures being imposed later.

When looking at which measures led to an uptick in R, the team found reopening schools and relaxing bans on gatherings of more than ten people had the biggest effect, increasing R by 24% and 25% respectively by day 28.

Bum. :(

And just imagine, at the start of all this they said do lots of anti-covid stuff but there's no need to ban mass events. ;) 

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Bum. :(

And just imagine, at the start of all this they said do lots of anti-covid stuff but there's no need to ban mass events. ;) 

They said whatever sounded good at the time. Unfortunately there is the slimmest of chances it goes ahead. Mass gathering events for early year are already being postponed until later year. While other festivals in Europe aren't even announcing bands atm who usually do on a weekly basis.

Yeah that's not good news.

As a quick aside, that last paragraph is interesting given the government's (and opposition tbh) commitment to re-opening/keeping schools open whatever happens. Surely, if it's the case that it's one of the main two reasons for preventing to uptick in R, that needs a rethink?

Edited by SwedgeAntilles
for clarification
37 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

As a quick aside, that last paragraph is interesting given the government's (and opposition tbh) commitment to re-opening/keeping schools open whatever happens. Surely, if it's the case that it's one of the main two reasons for preventing to uptick in R, that needs a rethink?

I don't think anyone is going to argue that festivals are as socially-useful as schools. :P 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think anyone is going to argue that festivals are as socially-useful as schools. :P 

Get a few beers in me and I'll give it a damn good go 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I learnt more at Glastonbury than I did at any school.

Does 'mass events' refer to indoors or outdoors, though? Festivals are a totally different thing to horse racing or a boxing match or an arena gig, for instance, where there's lots of indoor mingling. Transmission outside, and particularly in certain conditions, is very low.

Edited by jannybruck
28 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Does 'mass events' refer to indoors or outdoors, though? Festivals are a totally different thing to horse racing or a boxing match or an arena gig, for instance, where there's lots of indoor mingling. Transmission outside, and particularly in certain conditions, is very low.

Weren’t the Cheltenham festival and the Liverpool/Atletico match on the week beginning 9th March seen as superspreading events despite being outdoors? 

20 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Weren’t the Cheltenham festival and the Liverpool/Atletico match on the week beginning 9th March seen as superspreading events despite being outdoors? 

I don't think anyone really succeeded in pinning that on them, although there was lots of speculation that they might have been.

Whatever, it looks like festivals might have the longest-lasting of outdoor restrictions. 

16 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I do wonder if Glastonbury does go ahead, whether there will be a substantial anti covid/vaccine element in the more esoteric areas of the festival.

Don't you know that the stone circle contains the cure for Covid? That's the real reason no one is allowed on the farm right now.

40 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I do wonder if Glastonbury does go ahead, whether there will be a substantial anti covid/vaccine element in the more esoteric areas of the festival.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about that myself the other day. Decided there absolutely would be. 

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I learnt more at Glastonbury than I did at any school.

In the words of the great Springsteen

i learned more from a three minute record than I ever learned at school 

(from the lyrics of no surrender, played as part of his Glastonbury set)

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Guess we'll find out from the protesters today how well the virus spreads outdoors

9 minutes ago, TorontoScot said:

Article on Geoff Ellis (head of TRNSMT and T in the Park) running a test event in another country for 1000 people and how they would test before/after. The hope is if it’s successful the scottish government will allow the measures here. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/trnsmt-boss-hopes-new-covid-22897700

Thanks.

Good to see someone giving the idea a proper trial.

4 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

There was some initial talk that they were, but both have large indoor components (toilets, bars, box offices) and football also has the pre-and-post match boozing in packed pubs. So I don't think they're comparable to outdoor festivals really.

The fact that none of the multiple protests throughout the summer saw spikes shows good indication that it's not something that spreads easily outdoors.

3 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

There was some initial talk that they were, but both have large indoor components (toilets, bars, box offices) and football also has the pre-and-post match boozing in packed pubs. So I don't think they're comparable to outdoor festivals really.

The fact that none of the multiple protests throughout the summer saw spikes shows good indication that it's not something that spreads easily outdoors.

On the bottom bit there’s a bit of influence of level of prevelance of the virus being lower during the summer months ... let’s hope we get back to those levels and potentially a lot lower with a vaccine come June