Future of festivals...

Sawdusty surfer

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Bonnaroo moving to Sept of 2021. Mid June normally and has 90,000 capacity. Get ready.

Glad festivals are rolling there tickets over cos as long as they do there's hope.. 

The band of horses are doing a virtual gig... Strange but isn't everything at the moment 

14 hours ago, kingbadger said:

When do you reckon Glastonbury would have pegged their deadline for whether to proceed head on with 2021 for? How late can they leave it before they're totally committed to plowing on? Not sure how much work they can do in getting everything ready without committing massively financially. End of January 2021? 

I'd say the last call for going ahead or not will be around the same point as it announced the cancelation this year - which will be around mid-March.

Everyone is desperate for it to go ahead, so they'll give it every opportunity they can.

It might get cancelled earlier, but I reckon that will either need a statement from govt or such a dire situation in (say) January that it's obvious it can't happen.

10 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Glad festivals are rolling there tickets over cos as long as they do there's hope.. 

The band of horses are doing a virtual gig... Strange but isn't everything at the moment 

Live Nation wants to keep every dollar they can. But they just made it harder for people in school to make it even though its an extended weekend.

have to have some confidence to announce while being a month after Glasto.

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Manchester Punk Festival - normally at the end of April - has decided not to go ahead next year.

A little worrying considering the amount of bands/artists that have scheduled/rescheduled gigs for April onwards.

Edited by vintagelaureate

21 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

A little worrying considering the amount of bands/artists that have scheduled/rescheduled gigs for April onwards.

I personally think April will be fine.

I'm guessing that MPF is run by a small promoter who doesn't do much else, so can't afford to take the risk. Also, being an April event, MPF quite possibly had paid out a lot more (proportionally) in event expenses this year before it had to cancel.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:47 AM, eFestivals said:

yup, but at the moment we're having harsh-ish lockdowns based on how things went in the first wave, and being extra-cautious.

Fingers crossed, at the mo it's looking like things are panning out a little differently in the second wave with fewer needing hospitalisation (and better recoveries for those who do).

Soooo..... I'm thinking that by xmas we'll have a better idea of how things will look going forwards, and be able to make decent predictions on hospital demands from covid in the spring months.

The one difference this time round is winter flu and it's effect with covid, but the hospital demand from just flu should be reasonably predictable.

Indeed. This second spike in infections is definitely not like the initial one in March. If you take into consideration the amount of testing compared to March then the 2nd wave is more of a 2nd mini wave after schools/unis going back.

I personally think they have knee jerked and hit hospitality with arbitrary restrictions when they know quite well the stats point to transmissions not being in bars and restaurants but at home, but they cant/wont close schools again.  I guess the next couple of weeks will tell us more though.

16 minutes ago, Havors said:

the stats point to transmissions not being in bars and restaurants but at home

Hmmm. This line is a bit misleading, I reckon.

It's fairly obvious that once one person in a house has it, the others in the house are likely to get it.

What it doesn't address is where the first person in a house got it from - which is likely to be from a bar or restaurant (or a shop or work or public transport).

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It's fairly obvious that once one person in a house has it, the others in the house are likely to get it.

What it doesn't address is where the first person in a house got it from - which is likely to be from a bar or restaurant (or a shop or work or public transport).

Yeah, the problem is (as far as I know) there isn't much data that differentiates between home infections from members of the household and home infections from visitors outside the household.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Well not quite... because with the tracking and tracing that is being done through the bars etc the stats point to the people who where with someone infected in the bars are not also infected.. which points to the transmission at home from other means... the data is there apparently..

Well thats what the hospitality sector would have us believe haha! There is some logic in it though... the virus is passed in certain ways which is easier and more likely at home with sharing all kinds of utensils and kissing hugging etc. You tend not to do that in a bar so its not as easy to transmit. I have a pint with my mates and dont touch them at the best of times :D 

I work in a secondary school and am lucky enough to be in an area with a very low incidence rate (4 cases per 100,000). 

If it gets into the school, it would rip through it very quickly. The Covid prevention/mitigation measures we have in place are tokenistic at best. 

For any measures to be effective, the way the school works would have to dramatically change - we'd need twice as many classrooms, staff and double the amount of equipment.  

No school has been able to do that, so it's no surprise the rise has come from the start of September. It was always going to. We effectively are already in a situation where we are just being told to live with it.

I can't see festivals nearly a year from now being called off when we are already just being forced to front it out - other than the fact this government has no ideological tie to arts/culture and as a result may make live music the sacrificial lamb that makes it appear they are acting in our interests, rather than the interests of their own pockets and big business. Some might say this is what's already happening.  

other than the fact this government has no ideological tie to arts/culture and as a result may make live music the sacrificial lamb that makes it appear they are acting in our interests, rather than the interests of their own pockets and big business. Some might say this is what's already happening. 

Certainly no ties to festival enterprises agreed. Such enterprises have comparatively few friends in the current administration..

6 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

other than the fact this government has no ideological tie to arts/culture and as a result may make live music the sacrificial lamb that makes it appear they are acting in our interests, rather than the interests of their own pockets and big business. Some might say this is what's already happening. 

Certainly no ties to festival enterprises agreed. Such enterprises have comparatively few friends in the current administration..

One slight caveat I'd put on that is - a few Tory landowner types get a decent income from renting out their fields every year.

The most notable one off the top of my head is that Cornbury Park (home to Wilderness) is owned by a Tory peer and various MPs on both sides including that twat Cameron have been known to attend. Standon Calling is owned by a Tory peer as well I think and I'm sure there'll be others if we looked for them.

11 hours ago, incident said:

The most notable one off the top of my head is that Cornbury Park (home to Wilderness) is owned by a Tory peer and various MPs on both sides including that twat Cameron have been known to attend. Standon Calling is owned by a Tory peer as well I think and I'm sure there'll be others if we looked for them.

It was Cornbury Festival that Cameron used to attend, when that was at Cornbury before Wilderness nicked the site.

Standon Calling - the festival - is owned by the son of the landowner (who might be a peer, i'm not sure).

Not sure if it was mentioned in another COVID-19 thread but the Hellfest organiser is pretty pessimistic about next year and the future of festivals in general in this interview (it's in French). But he does share a hope for rapid testing.

A significant takeaway from it is that he estimates his own decision on Hellfest going ahead to be made in January, because of the time of going into production being around six months for his festival. He outlines that this is similar for the major touring artists, and I would suspect that it's a similar timeframe for all major festivals. Seems fairly obvious when you think about it but I guess a lot of us were expecting March/April for a decision and by that time it could be only the later events pondering the state of play.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, tigger123 said:

I didn't find it positive I'm afraid. I think it's positive for smaller/ medium festivals but for something like Glastonbury I was very unsure.