What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

The thing I don't get with Wandavision (well, there's loads I don't get but we're not supposed to yet) is why  the classic American sitcoms. I mean I get why in terms of they represent a nice safe place where every problem gets sorted out in half an hour etc, I mean why would Wanda choose that. Growing up in Sekovia, then joining Hydra as a teen (I think that's right?) it's not like they would've been part of her childhood so she wouldn't have the same connection to them. Maybe points to someone else controlling it all, not her. 

Unless that's what she was doing with Vision in Edinburgh, catching up on them all on Netflix?

5 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Maybe points to someone else controlling it all, not her. 

I’m a sucker for looking up all the rumours on this kind of stuff, and it seems this might be the case, and there have been a ton of things hinting at it that only real nerds would notice. I’ll say no more!

Just now, FloorFiller said:

I’m a sucker for looking up all the rumours on this kind of stuff, and it seems this might be the case, and there have been a ton of things hinting at it that only real nerds would notice. I’ll say no more!

There have been really subtle hints from the first episode, but I think it will all become clear soon.

I really want to know who the missing person is that Jimmy Woo was originally investigating! I think that is going to be much bigger than seems to have been highlighted.

11 hours ago, priest17 said:

Wandavision is great but this releasing it one a week every Friday morning is doing my head in. It probably makes sense from a business perspective that I don't understand but it doesn't seem like the kinda show that needs to be held back to one a week. Also people keep watching it Friday morning and getting key words trending on twitter and Google sending me notifications about it. 

Variety wrote a good article on why Wandavision is the perfect show to air weekly, and why more streaming services seem to be going back to the traditional route. 

https://variety.com/2021/tv/columns/wandavision-disney-plus-weekly-1234901729/

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Benefit of WFH is being being able to catch it on Friday lunchtime before the spoilers get out.

I'm WFH as well but like to watch it in the evening with a beer and some decent grub (which I guess is what makes it my fault). the guys name was trending along with Wandavision at 9am when I started work so its a bit annoying.

4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I'm WFH as well but like to watch it in the evening with a beer and some decent grub (which I guess is what makes it my fault). the guys name was trending along with Wandavision at 9am when I started work so its a bit annoying.

Same for me. I watch it late on a Friday when the kids are asleep. If I venture on Twitter or, to a degree, Instagram spoilers abound.

58 minutes ago, MikeClarke94 said:

Variety wrote a good article on why Wandavision is the perfect show to air weekly, and why more streaming services seem to be going back to the traditional route. 

https://variety.com/2021/tv/columns/wandavision-disney-plus-weekly-1234901729/

Its fair enough, and I agree with some shows it definitely works as I loved the Mandalorian week in week out. I don't think all shows work need it though, and I might be alone on that. This and The Boys should have just dropped all at once for me, maybe that's just coz I'm used to consuming superhero stuff en mass (although it definitely worked in Legion's favour being week by week). I suppose in WV's case its not helped by lockdown, the weeks are so fucking long right now. Either way I should probably get used to it as Marvel a few shows on the horizon I want to watch.

Finished Back last night and v much enjoyed it. Weird as not sure what the actual premise does for the show; but the dialogue and characters carry it all along nicely. Ended well too, hope they make more.

Onto the US Office third season and is proving a great alternative to watching the news/going online too much. Still not as good as the UK one though - and there seems to a flaw in that it acts is if none of the characters ever find out about each other's behaviour by watching/hearing about the show they are all apparently starring in.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I love shows and movies where the big twist is hidden in plain sight and you only realise it has been on repeat viewings.

Fight Club is the perfect example of this. Once you know the twist it’s obvious the all way through.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

DOFP was decent. The rest of the X-Men films have been average to god awful (with the exception of Logan, which was excellent). The Deadpool films are good too but they don’t really count.

Looks like Marvel are going down the whole Multiverse route for Phase 4 and beyond. Which is a pretty convenient way to bring the X-Men and F4 into the fold.

Get Jessica Alba in the MCU 🙌🙌🙌

I took the "recasting" as more of a wink and nod to Fox's X-Men rather than it's a crossover and they are now in the MCU. I can't imagine Marvel introducing their biggest selling comic franchise like this when they could advertise a X-Men movie for a big box office draw.

26 minutes ago, jump said:

I took the "recasting" as more of a wink and nod to Fox's X-Men rather than it's a crossover and they are now in the MCU. I can't imagine Marvel introducing their biggest selling comic franchise like this when they could advertise a X-Men movie for a big box office draw.

Yeah I took it as a bit of a meta joke.

30 minutes ago, priest17 said:

If he's in there as just an easter egg that'll be well annoying, I'd rather they use literally any other human on the planet. They've done enough to tease out the multiverse connections it'd be grim if they went back on that now.

Well the entire MCU is built on easter eggs though. It took them 7 years for Thanos to pay off, 4 for The Avengers, The Black Widow film is 11 years after her introduction etc. X-Men will come but they are doing it in their own time, the other way is like DC with rushed films that make no sense and second guessing themsleves.

1 hour ago, jump said:

Well the entire MCU is built on easter eggs though. It took them 7 years for Thanos to pay off, 4 for The Avengers, The Black Widow film is 11 years after her introduction etc. X-Men will come but they are doing it in their own time, the other way is like DC with rushed films that make no sense and second guessing themsleves.

it depends what kind of easter egg you're talking about (what a weird sentence ahah), is it a trickle from the future that he'll be involved in or is it "look its the same actor as a different franchise and the coincidence will have no bearing on anything lol". I'm not expecting the whole x-men cast to rock up in the next few episodes but I'll be disappointed if this isn't quicksilver from a different universe.

I'm also a big fan of the slow burn of Marvel properties and I'm not gagging for x-men anytime soon, a series that finished so beautifully with Logan.

image.png.135df8ea8205ac584a2ffbe3ae995ca4.png

19 minutes ago, priest17 said:

it depends what kind of easter egg you're talking about (what a weird sentence ahah), is it a trickle from the future that he'll be involved in or is it "look its the same actor as a different franchise and the coincidence will have no bearing on anything lol". I'm not expecting the whole x-men cast to rock up in the next few episodes but I'll be disappointed if this isn't quicksilver from a different universe.

I'm also a big fan of the slow burn of Marvel properties and I'm not gagging for x-men anytime soon, a series that finished so beautifully with Logan.

image.png.135df8ea8205ac584a2ffbe3ae995ca4.png

I wouldn't say that, JK Simmons popping up in the new Spider-Man was great.

Just on that topic the pre-Disney and now scrapped plans for Deadpool 3 was for a Hugh Jackman Wolverine and Deapool buddie road trip movie. I fucking want that more than a properly done Marvel X-Men film.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Wouldn’t say JK Simmons popping up in Spider-Man was multiverse related either. He’s just the quintessential JJJ actor, so why wouldn’t you get him in?

Yeah, that's what I meant in regards to the "same actor from a different franchise" comment, it's pretty cleat it's not multiverse related. It was just perfect casting so why undo it, the same with Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool but he'll probably play with the meta-ness of it. 

Tbh there's not many actors I'd like to see return from Fox's X-Men in the MCU if it's more than a cameo. As great as Hugh Jackman was he's not quite the guy from the comics and the bulk of the actors were casted way off or were too small of a role to get someone decent in.