guypjfreak

5 hours ago, northernringo said:

Yea, sadly we are consigned to July and August due to school holidays! Happy enough to take the risk with weather as we have been told you will see biblical showers some days but they tend to last for an hour and then disappear as if nothing happened.

The plan was to spend 3 nights in Bangkok ourselves, then fly to Phuket before doing a group island hopping tour around Phuket/Phi Phi islands. That tour was 6 nights and then we had another 5 nights in a quieter resort of Phuket ourselves relaxing before heading home! I'd imagine we will go for the same thing next year.

You are correct, the showers used to last an hour or two & you can even set your watch as to when it will absolutely chuck it down. Handy to know if you intend to rent a scooter.

That’s a nice itinerary, Phuket is lovely. I’ve not been to Phi Phi but I have a friend that has a bar there & it’s very seedy in, think older men with teenage girlfriends & go-go bars, areas but I’m sure these are easily avoided.

Plenty to do in Bangkok.

I normally go to Asia for Xmas holidays for 2 quick weeks but flights almost double. You can get away with Indonesia & Philippines in Spring holidays however, it’s just before the rainy season. Last year Met Office predicted thunderstorms for the whole two weeks we were there, my other half was fuming... it rained briefly twice.

Edited by Bisque

4 hours ago, Quark said:

History with Danny Dyer can only be wonderful :lol:

Honestly they should get love island cast and youtubers presenting it if it entertains and educates the kids. I really feel for parents who don’t have the most adequate systems in place for home learning.

27 minutes ago, Bisque said:

You are correct, the showers used to last an hour or two & you can even set your watch as to when it will absolutely chuck it down. Handy to know if you intend to rent a scooter.

That’s a nice itinerary, Phuket is lovely. I’ve not been to Phi Phi but I have a friend that has a bar there & it’s very seedy in, think older men with teenage girlfriends & go-go bars, areas but I’m sure these are easily avoided.

Plenty to do in Bangkok.

I normally go to Asia for Xmas holidays for 2 quick weeks but flights almost double. You can get away with Indonesia & Philippines in Spring holidays however, it’s just before the rainy season. Last year Met Office predicted thunderstorms for the whole two weeks we were there, my other half was fuming... it rained briefly twice.

Thanks for the info!

This would be my first time in SE Asia (been to Central Asia before) and my girlfriend's first time east of Europe so we won't mind waiting another year for such a big trip (well, for us anyway!).

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Honestly they should get love island cast and youtubers presenting it if it entertains and educates the kids. I really feel for parents who don’t have the most adequate systems in place for home learning.

Have you ever watched Drunk History?

There are some kids at my school that don’t have internet in their family home. We had to print off all the resources for them, just not the same.

12 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Thanks for the info!

This would be my first time in SE Asia (been to Central Asia before) and my girlfriend's first time east of Europe so we won't mind waiting another year for such a big trip (well, for us anyway!).

I took my ex on her first long haul holiday previous Christmas. We did Bangkok, Chaing Mai for elephants & Siam Reap for Angkor Wat temples. I’d been before but it was a totally different experience going with a girlfriend. We didn’t do the islands as we booked Bali for Spring. Again I’d been there before but different experience. I let her plan the trips once I had decided where she would enjoy. As a single guy both a good ‘party’ drinking places for the evening with lots to do during the day. Both are also great for couples, cheap food, cooking courses, beaches, temples, excursions etc.

Vietnam is worth a look in the future, lovely country, did the Top Gear trip with another previous ex. Malaysia is quiet but if you like eco-tourism amazing, Perhentian Islands are gorgeous. Singapore is nice, but a bit like a high tech London in Asia. Recently been to Laos, it’s gorgeous but filled mostly with divorced women & drunk back packers on their way to Vang Vieng to go tubing. Cambodia is my favourite, it has everything from bustling cities to beautiful remote islands further South.

Your trip will be worth the wait. I used to live in North Malaysia when I was younger so have a soft spot for the area however I was too young to appreciate it at that age.

No plans to visit central Asia but a friend can’t recommend Kerala enough but he is a stoner hippy type and my friend went on honeymoon to Nepal recently & their pictures look incredible.

Edited by Bisque
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Mate, I can only salute anyone trying to home school their kids at the moment. My boss and his wife are both still working remotely full time, with one toddler and one (I think) 4 year old to sort out.  He just sounds knackered. I think anyone who can come through this with their sanity intact and their kids still able to function deserves a medal.

42 minutes ago, Bisque said:

Have you ever watched Drunk History?

I have, I'd call it a bit hit and miss but when it's good it's pretty funny.

On 4/20/2020 at 8:01 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I saw this and thought I'd post it here. It's really not that funny, and definitely does go on way too long. However, it does seem to amplify the mixed messages that have been given out.

Clarification of the lockdown rules:

1. You MUST NOT leave the house for any reason, but if you have a reason, you can leave the house.

2. Masks are useless at protecting you against the virus, but you may have to wear one because it can save lives, but they may not work, but they may be mandatory, but maybe not.

3. Shops are closed, except those shops that are open.

4. You must not go to work but you can get another job and go to work.

5. You should not go to the Doctor's or to the hospital unless you have to go there, unless you are too poorly to go there.

6. This virus can kill people, but don’t be scared of it. It can only kill those people who are vulnerable or those people who are not vulnerable. It’s possible to contain and control it, sometimes, except that sometimes it actually leads to a global disaster.

7. Gloves won't help, but they can still help so wear them sometimes, or not.

8. STAY HOME, but it's important to go out.

9. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarkets, but there are many things missing. Sometimes you won’t need loo rolls but you should buy some just in case you need some.

10. The virus has no effect on children except those children it affects.

11. Animals are not affected, but there was a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested, plus a few tigers here and there…

12. Stay 2 metres away from tigers (see point 11).

13. You will have many symptoms if you get the virus, but you can also get symptoms without getting the virus, get the virus without having any symptoms or be contagious without having symptoms, or be non contagious with symptoms...it's a sort of lucky/unlucky dip.

14. To help protect yourself you should eat well and exercise, but eat whatever you have on hand as it's better not to go to the shops, unless you need toilet roll or a fence panel.

15. It's important to get fresh air but don't go to parks but go for a walk. But don’t sit down, except if you are old, but not for too long or if you are pregnant or if you’re not old or pregnant but need to sit down. If you do sit down don’t eat your picnic, unless you've had a long walk, which you are/aren't allowed to do if you're old or pregnant.

16. Don’t visit old people but you have to take care of the old people and bring them food and medication.

17. If you are sick, you can go out when you are better but anyone else in your household can’t go out when you are better unless they need to go out.

18. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house. These deliveries are safe. But groceries you bring back to your house have to be decontaminated outside for 3 hours including frozen pizza.

19. You can't see your older mother or grandmother, but they can take a taxi and meet an older taxi driver.

20. You are safe if you maintain the safe social distance when out but you can’t go out with friends or strangers at the safe social distance.

21. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours ... or four hours...or six hours... I mean days, not hours. But it needs a damp environment. Or a cold environment that is warm and dry... in the air, as long as the air is not plastic.

22. Schools are closed so you need to home educate your children, unless you can send them to school because you’re not at home. If you are at home you can home educate your children using various portals and virtual class rooms, unless you have poor internet, or more than one child and only one computer, or you are working from home. Baking cakes can be considered maths, science or art. If you are home educating you can include household chores within their education. If you are home educating you can start drinking at 10am.

23. If you are not home educating children you can also start drinking at 10am.

24. The number of corona related deaths will be announced daily but we don't know how many people are infected as they are only testing those who are almost dead to find out if that's what they will die of. The people who die of corona who aren’t counted, won’t or will be counted but maybe not.

25. We should stay in locked down until the virus stops infecting people but it will only stop infecting people if we all get infected so it’s important we get infected and some don’t get infected.

26. You can join your neighbours for a street party and turn your music up for an outside disco and your neighbours won’t call the police. People in another street are allowed to call the police about your music whilst also having a party which you are allowed to call the police about.

27. No business will go down due to Coronavirus except those businesses that will go down due to Coronavirus.

Hope that makes things clearer for you?

Lolol 

4 hours ago, Quark said:

I have, I'd call it a bit hit and miss but when it's good it's pretty funny.

I’ve only watched it tipsy myself & I agree. The Ellis James & John Robins segment is quallo.

It kind of made me think Vicky Pattinson was hot for a day or two.

8 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The ducklings have hatched in the burn (small river!) next to our house. Sure sign of Spring. Now I will be on Heron watch. They prey on the little uns! 

FF9892A0-31DC-4C38-9F26-681F41B1739D.thumb.jpeg.19f7260b76386d071f97676238a4d6b9.jpeg

Soo cute!

We have wonderful bluebell woods 5 miles away.  Rather than risk the ire of the locals by driving there, I thought I'd take a picture of our own little patch, which has grown from a few plants I rescued many years ago from a destroyed hedge.

1885546916_gardenbluebells2020.thumb.jpg.519d770b86d64fb1d26973ca1636f63e.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Not exactly the solution Chris Packham or Bill Oddie would sanction but it would be effective. Think I will try shouting Boo first. 

Our neighbours tried using a plastic heron to deter one which regularly came to feast on the goldfish in their pond.  The real heron used it as a perch to get a better view of the fish!

That's good of them, nice thought. I quite like fudge, especially chocolate fudge.

Talking of food, I've just this minute managed to get an asda delivery slot. Been trying all the supermarkets for weeks so I'm happy with that. Done my fair share of £££££s with the local farm shops for now, which I will do again asap.

Back to sleep now! 😴

10 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

Our neighbours tried using a plastic heron to deter one which regularly came to feast on the goldfish in their pond.  The real heron used it as a perch to get a better view of the fish!

We have (had) a big problem at work with gulls and jackdaws harassing customers eating outside so we got a plastic hawk. Within an hour we had a photo of  a seagull sat on its head. Now it's only purpose is to cause arguments  amongst groups of customers  as to whether it's real. Again, seagulls sit on it's head, my customers think it's real (but very very still). You can draw  your own conclusions about my customers from that