guypjfreak

38 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Lovely pics. I tried to catch a photo of the northern lights last night. Didn’t do it justice though, too much light pollution. 

84192A27-D433-4D5A-A288-ECBCB567CF99.thumb.jpeg.a3abd32779816562794514bf0362c782.jpeg

That rocket looks a little incongruous in that setting.

Seriously though, what is that building? Is it a round tower originally built to protect monks from Viking marauders, by any chance? 

21 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That rocket looks a little incongruous in that setting.

Seriously though, what is that building? Is it a round tower originally built to protect monks from Viking marauders, by any chance? 

It’s a memorial to a battle in 1263 when the Scots defeated a Viking invasion fleet. Truth is the vikings were shagged out after a long row and were up against a well rested army . The memorial. Known locally as the pencil, was only built around 100 years ago. 

13 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

It’s a memorial to a battle in 1263 when the Scots defeated a Viking invasion fleet. Truth is the vikings were shagged out after a long row and were up against a well rested army . The memorial. Known locally as the pencil, was only built around 100 years ago. 

Oh well, I got the Vikings bit right. Thanks for explaining that. All interesting stuff.

It's just that there were (and still may be) similar type towers that the monks in Ireland used as defence against marauding Vikings;

At the start of the Viking period the Irish monasteries consisted of earthen enclosures containing a church, various outbuildings and the monks' residences. The Vikings found that it was very easy to ransack these largely defenseless settlements. In time, the monks learned how to frustrate the Vikings, by building tall stone towers known as Round Towers. The door was placed one floor up, accessible by a ladder. Inside the tower, each floor was accessed by further ladders. If Vikings were sighted, the Monks would grab as much food and valuables as they could, climb into the tower and pull up the ladder. The Vikings would then raid the empty monastery while the monks watched from the safety of the tower. Even if the Vikings did get into the tower - and they did not try hard to do so - the Monks simply retreated further up the tower by pulling up more ladders. Such a strategy did not save the monastery itself, but did save the Monks and some of their belongings from being captured. Round towers were constructed across Ireland, a large number of which are still intact today. The picture above shows the round tower at Devenish, county Fermanagh [the steps are a modern addition] (photo by Edwin Smith). [5]

Devenish Round Tower [7kB]

Guy, I absolutely love this artwork, just got home from a busy day at work, and I am blown away. It’s perfect. Thank you so so sooo much. Also, your kind words, I’m not going to lie, they made me emotional. I will be the first in the queue with my wristbands to get the first round in. I can’t stop looking at it, it’s perfect. I am over the moon. Thank you, thank you to you and your family.

Ahhh man I'm made up... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Guy, I absolutely love this artwork, just got home from a busy day at work, and I am blown away. It’s perfect. Thank you so so sooo much. Also, your kind words, I’m not going to lie, they made me emotional. I will be the first in the queue with my wristbands to get the first round in. I can’t stop looking at it, it’s perfect. I am over the moon. Thank you, thank you to you and your family.

Ahhh man I'm made up... 

Ahh is this from the person you sold the canvas too!! My prints are currently at the sorting office as was at work when they tried to deliver them!!! Now have to wait to Thursday to see them!!! 😃

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

Ahh is this from the person you sold the canvas too!! My prints are currently at the sorting office as was at work when they tried to deliver them!!! Now have to wait to Thursday to see them!!! 😃

Yea it is mad ah... And NOOOO I was really hoping that you would have got them.. Xx

51 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Because of covid te hospital doesn't allow visitors at the moment as a special treat my wife is being asked allowed to visit me today. 

ahh great news!! Enjoy your visit!!! 😃

Join us at the virtual meet!!! We sort of promise not to get you into trouble! 

Edited by funkychick2007

42 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Because of covid te hospital doesn't allow visitors at the moment as a special treat my wife is being asked allowed to visit me today. 

Fab news!! 🙂 fingers crossed she fetches you a nice treat too! Enjoy your visit, am sure you're both looking forward to it 😊

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

She brought me grapes and fresh clothes.was fantastic to see her for the first time in 5 weeks.

Good stuff Neil, must be an absolute shitter for you both. 

Any idea how much longer you're going to be in for?

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

She brought me grapes and fresh clothes.was fantastic to see her for the first time in 5 weeks.

I bet it was, I'm so pleased you got to spend some time together today 🙂 fingers crossed not too much longer til you can get home! Sending love to you and your family 🙂

45 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

After posting a whinging couple of posts on the shit thread, and even more lurking 😉

I'm here to say; I've been jabbed woop woop & my clinically vulnerable partner (after much fannying about) is being jabbed on Mon, even bigger woop woop😁

<logs out, goes back to being a dirty lurker😅>

Congratulations on your jab! And your partners jab being soon! Wahoooo! 🙂 

• Like 1