When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I've been helping out at a secondary school with lateral flow testing yesterday & today. We have had two positives. There's 925 pupils in the school, certainly not all taking up the tests but it's around 85% I believe.

Are they being backed up with a PCR to make sure they’re not false positives? 

The sheer numbers that are being tested this week there is bound to be a few. 

Edited by BobWillis2

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

When you consider the sheer number of tests now being taken every day in Schools etc - if we DONT see an uptick in cases then that would represent a hugely improved picture than we have ever seen.

If we do see a rise it needs to be taken in context of all the extra testing.

So really its just an explosion that can derail us I feel....

But, these kids are all going into school after being locked down, so in theory case numbers should be low?..it's if starts spreading in schools is what to watch out for, but hopefully with all this testing going on they should be able to prevent that...maybe....

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

When you consider the sheer number of tests now being taken every day in Schools etc - if we DONT see an uptick in cases then that would represent a hugely improved picture than we have ever seen.

sorry...I kind of misread your post so not sure my one above makes much sense...

32 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I agree.....any media headlines regarding cases rising are worthless without considering the ratio to tests carried out.  If we don't see any increase then all the better.

41 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Are they being backed up with a PCR to make sure they’re not false positives? 

The sheer numbers that are being tested this week there is bound to be a few. 

The government guidance for schools states for positives to self-isolate immediately and arrange a PCR test for confirmation.

I heard the false positives are less than 1 in a 1000 so yes it's a problem but the testing isn't as inaccurate as it's being perceived I think.

4 hours ago, zahidf said:

This is whats always baffled me with the people flapping over variants. They are just a variants, not a new virus. The vaccines, and natural infection gives good T Cell response, plus antibodies by all accounts.... Thus even if the variants with different spikes get through people should still fight the virus off just as they always have/will. 

We will be dealing with the virus for ever now, but it should become no more deadly than the flu. That's the theory anyway. 

40 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

The government guidance for schools states for positives to self-isolate immediately and arrange a PCR test for confirmation.

I heard the false positives are less than 1 in a 1000 so yes it's a problem but the testing isn't as inaccurate as it's being perceived I think.

That guidance seems to vary from area to area. Some areas are being told to only book a PCR if the test was taken at home but if done at the school it’s deemed unnecessary. 
They’re not as inaccurate as they were made to be following the Liverpool pilot, but they’re far from the best LFD tests available. Once the government get through these innova tests hopefully they’ll bring the better ones online. 

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

here you go...let the rage begin

It’s quite reassuring to know that she thinks the government have broadly got the right approach here considering how she’s felt about their approach before this. It gives me more confidence that we are on the right track and will help when we are allowed to do certain things again. 

Our Principal has emailed out some updated details regarding the LFT/PCR results for schools: 

‘Lateral flow in school that is positive trumps a PCR and the positive lateral cannot be overruled by a negative PCR. Everyone has to self-isolate.

Positive lateral at home needs a PCR test. A negative PCR overrules a positive lateral taken at home.’ 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

You really didn't, it has to be wondered why there seems to be an effort to undermine the zero-risk benefits of taking Vit. D

Here's a paper from the BMJ in 2017

https://www.bmj.com/content/356/bmj.i6583

Vitamin D supplementation to prevent acute respiratory tract infections: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data

Conclusions Vitamin D supplementation was safe and it protected against acute respiratory tract infection overall. Patients who were very vitamin D deficient and those not receiving bolus doses experienced the most benefit.

The sceptics will argue that this doesn't apply to Covid as it wasn't around then, hence "no evidence". The fact is Covid is primarily an acute respiratory tract infection and all the patients who have serious disease with Covid have low D levels.

11 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Our Principal has emailed out some updated details regarding the LFT/PCR results for schools: 

‘Lateral flow in school that is positive trumps a PCR and the positive lateral cannot be overruled by a negative PCR. Everyone has to self-isolate.

Positive lateral at home needs a PCR test. A negative PCR overrules a positive lateral taken at home.’ 

It's almost as if they want to find positive cases.

8 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Well that goes against what NHS stuff have been following throughout the pandemic when they have been taking weekly lateral flow tests. If a positive showed on these, they were sent home until they returned a negative PCR. This happened to a couple of my wife’s colleagues, and they were allowed to return to the wards within days once their negative PCR tests were confirmed. 
The lateral flows can also show a faint positive line if they are left for longer than the 30 mins indicated on the instructions. 

3 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

You really didn't, it has to be wondered why there seems to be an effort to undermine the zero-risk benefits of taking Vit. D

Here's a paper from the BMJ in 2017

https://www.bmj.com/content/356/bmj.i6583

Vitamin D supplementation to prevent acute respiratory tract infections: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data

Conclusions Vitamin D supplementation was safe and it protected against acute respiratory tract infection overall. Patients who were very vitamin D deficient and those not receiving bolus doses experienced the most benefit.

The sceptics will argue that this doesn't apply to Covid as it wasn't around then, hence "no evidence". The fact is Covid is primarily an acute respiratory tract infection and all the patients who have serious disease with Covid have low D levels.

https://pharmaceutical-journal.com/article/feature/a-cloud-of-doubt-over-the-sunshine-vitamin