When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

13 minutes ago, xxialac said:

True on transit routes but Portugal shouldn't be on the high risk list to begin with.

If they really were worried about the Brazil and South Africa variants. They could simply quarantine all people whose passport showed they had been in those countries in the last month. 

Nope it shouldn't I agree. Think they just plucked everywhere that speaks Portuguese and added them to the list.

Yup a simple passport check is the easiest way to deal with it, it's almost as if the UK and Portuguese governments have a bit of tit for tat going on ever since the early travel restrictions came in.

Edited by Paul ™
Typo

5 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Nope it shouldn't I agree. Think they just plucked everywhere that speaks Portuguese and added them to the list.

Yup a simple passport check is the easiest way to deal with it, it's almost as if the UK and Portuguese governments have a bit of tit for tat going in ever since the early travel restrictions came in.

Yeah, seems a really oversimplistic way of looking at it. Do Brits only travel to English speaking countries?

It's a shame, this squabbling. Portugal and England have the oldest alliance between two countries anywhere in the world and now Shapps seems up for undermining that.

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

@FestivalJamie I'm not sure if you think arguments in favour of the longer gap are being made in bad faith? Like climate deniers or lockdown sceptics? I can assure you that this actually an area with genuine scientific debate, with good cases on both sides for once.

There are very many people who genuinely believe that delivering more first doses sooner is the best way to save lives. They're not trolls and they're not ill informed. 

I don't think this is the kind of post to downvote.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

You're absolutely spot on and that's the reason why, despite zero festival activity over the past year or on the horizon, I'll be making sure to maintain my GOLD member status. There's a great community on here and it's been a comfort in many ways

Absolutely agree with this and I renewed mine for the same reason. This place has been a lifeline for me.

It's snowing thick and fast down in that London! Our first this winter. Settling too. 

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

@FestivalJamie I'm not sure if you think arguments in favour of the longer gap are being made in bad faith? Like climate deniers or lockdown sceptics? I can assure you that this actually an area with genuine scientific debate, with good cases on both sides for once.

There are very many people who genuinely believe that delivering more first doses sooner is the best way to save lives. They're not trolls and they're not ill informed. 

I don't think this is the kind of post to downvote.

Yeah I'm not sure why I'm getting down voted for sharing an interesting article about how the two dose policy isn't a political decisions. Feels like some people don't want an honest debate if the science disagrees with their predisposed belief..  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Absolutely agree with this and I renewed mine for the same reason. This place has been a lifeline for me.

It's snowing thick and fast down in that London! Our first this winter. Settling too. 

Lucky buggers! We just get rain south of the Downs. 

This heavy snow reminds me of all the pointless and dangerous journeys I’ve had to make into work over the years, when I and millions of others could’ve easily just worked firm home. It was like you had to do it to prove how much you valued your job.

With all these companies that have apparently effortlessly pivoted to wfh (apparently they were all set and up and ready to do it all along, they just never did for some reason 🤔) in future years hopefully common sense will prevail and people will be told not to spend hours trying to get into work.

1 minute ago, aj6658 said:

Zero COVID just popped up on my twitter timeline and its just showing New Zealand. Incredible achievement. 

Shows you what strong leadership and following the science does. 

The short term economic damage surpassed by the long term economic benefit

Yeah, NZ have done a good job, but easier for them in many aspects, and also not sure how sustainable in long term.

Saw this in news today too...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/24/new-zealand-records-first-covid-community-case-intwo-months

12 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yeah I'm not sure why I'm getting down voted for sharing an interesting article about how the two dose policy isn't a political decisions. Feels like some people don't want an honest debate if the science disagrees with their predisposed belief..  

I gave you another upvote, so you have one to cancel out the negative and another one just so you can have a positive.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, NZ have done a good job, but easier for them in many aspects, and also not sure how sustainable in long term.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/24/new-zealand-records-first-covid-community-case-intwo-months

Once they vaccinate everyone they’ll let it in and then it will be like flu. Obviously they saved the initial deaths that everywhere else has had, which is of course commendable but it’s going to be endemic worldwide so they can’t avoid it forever.

Not knocking their response in the slightest either, but there is a bit of a myth about how they reacted. They didn’t close their borders until two weeks after their first case, but the belief is they acted instantly. It goes to show how little of the virus they actually had in the first place compared to Europe as an example. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It's an emotionally charged issue. I can see how it looks like the Government are just being twats and cutting corners, so everyone who supports them isn't taking the pandemic seriously. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yea agreedh they do have it easier but it doesn't help that probably 9/10 decisions have been wrong.

We tried to limit short term damage but it ended up causing more prolonged suffering 

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I gave you another upvote, so you have one to cancel out the negative and another one just so you can have a positive.

Thanks! I dont normally care if id said something controversial  but the post was perfectly reasonable i thought.

Edited by zahidf

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

It's an emotionally charged issue. I can see how it looks like the Government are just being twats and cutting corners, so everyone who supports them isn't taking the pandemic seriously. 

Yeah I guess! My post was saying how it wasn't a government decision but the indepenendent JVCI. So ironically its very not supporting the govt per se.