When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, incident said:

I'm pretty sure that in terms of vaccine purchasing / approval / distribution, we've not done anything that we couldn't have done while still an EU member.

We would have had to follow the lead of the EMA?

None of the other major countries have done differently have they?

8 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I’m genuinely curious if this means you’d be willing to sacrifice a jab for yourself in order for it to go elsewhere?

Yes I would, if there was the means in place to ensure it would happen.

I’m fortunate to be in decent health and would happily wait as long as necessary if it meant people more at risk got a vaccine. I’m also lucky enough to live in a country with an excellent healthcare system whereas some sadly don’t have that luxury. 

Edited by Ozanne
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I’m genuinely curious if this means you’d be willing to sacrifice a jab for yourself in order for it to go elsewhere?

yeah, but when you make it personal of course most people are going to choose themselves, it's self interest.

Anyway, we are going to have too many vaccines soon the way things are going...maybe along with vaccinating all our adult population we can make more vaccines available for covax to distribute or something.

Just now, steviewevie said:

yeah, but when you make it personal of course most people are going to choose themselves, it's self interest.

Anyway, we are going to have too many vaccines soon the way things are going...maybe along with vaccinating all our adult population we can make more vaccines available for covax to distribute or something.

It’s a moot (😉) point anyway as the facility for this isn’t in place but I like to think that if it was a large portion of people would chose to delay their vaccine if it could go to some more in need. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

Fwiw that is the plan. 

The sooner we get everyone vaccinated, the sooner we can get out of lockdown. I dont think going against that to help out other countries is politically feasible.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Fwiw that is the plan. 

The sooner we get everyone vaccinated, the sooner we can get out of lockdown. I dont think going against that to help out other countries is politically feasible.

No, sure...but how many vaccines have we got ordered, more than enough right? Can't the vaccines we don't need be redirected somewhere else. I know there is Covax, but are they actually getting any of the vaccines yet?

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It’s a moot (😉) point anyway as the facility for this isn’t in place but I like to think that if it was a large portion of people would chose to delay their vaccine if it could go to some more in need. 

I dont think people would want to extend lockdowns/restrictions by not vaccinating people as quickly as possible.

Its the most responsible thing anyone can do is to get vaccinated ASAP. Refusing a vaccine to help others may make people feel better, but it won't help the situation here?

I dont think people would want to extend lockdowns/restrictions by not vaccinating people as quickly as possible.

Its the most responsible thing anyone can do is to get vaccinated ASAP. Refusing a vaccine to help others may make people feel better, but it won't help the situation here?

It’s not about making people feel better, it would be about ensuring the most vulnerable people round the world got quicker access to a vaccine. A fluke event like place of birth really shouldn’t limit people’s access to something like this. 

That's interesting.  But Hungary aside, haven't the countries followed the EMA lead for solidarity purposes? Would we have had the same political pressure?

There might have been pleasure, but even if there was I suspect we'd do our own thing anyway - as we have on many other occasions in the past such as with the single currency.

Just now, Ozanne said:

It’s not about making people feel better, it would be about ensuring the most vulnerable people round the world got quicker access to a vaccine. A fluke event like place of birth really shouldn’t limit people’s access to something like this. 

It’s an interesting thought though isn’t it.

As you state your healthy and age is on your side however although less at risk than for example an 80 year old from Iraq you are still at risk.

You’d be prepared to potentially lose your life or risk life long health issues to save someone at the end of their life?

I’m not saying your right or wrong but it’s an interesting thought process.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

That's interesting.  But Hungary aside, haven't the countries followed the EMA lead for solidarity purposes? Would we have had the same political pressure?

I read somewhere that sticking with EMA and not doing the emergency regulation thing like UK did means EMA is legally responsible if anything goes wrong, not the government. Plus, UK has a robust regulatory body in MHRA from when we were in the EU, not sure if other EU countries have that.

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

As you state your healthy and age is on your side however although less at risk than for example an 80 year old from Iraq you are still at risk.

You’d be prepared to potentially lose your life or risk life long health issues to save someone at the end of their life?

does not compute.

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Well its not just about you in that scenario. You are risking catching it and you being in hospital means someone else dies. Or spreading it around and still killing other people. Its not your life your risking by trying to be noble...

Edited by zahidf

Well its not just about you in that scenario. You are risking catching it and you being in hospital means someone else dies. Or spreading it around and still killing other people. Its not your life your risking by trying to be noble...

but isn't the choice about Ozanne being vaccinated or a vulnerable person in a poor country being vaccinated, after all vulnerable people in this country had been vaccinated.

28 minutes ago, zahidf said:

We would have had to follow the lead of the EMA?

None of the other major countries have done differently have they?

Technically ye were still in the transition period when the Pfizer shot got EUA from the MHRA. Every other EU country could have (and still can) use that route if they want (but all have agreed that the EMA approval route gives them more flexibility later on). It’s entirely possible the UK would have chosen this route anyway regardless of Brexit. 

edit: while I was typing that, I see @incidenthas pretty much said the same thing!

Edited by Toilet Duck

53 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Fingers crossed!

This actually makes a lot of sense as the early trial data showed the 1 shot working better in the younger group too.  We were discussing this in work the other day and the feeling was that given the pressure to vaccinate younger key workers, teachers etc, that this would be the perfect solution to getting them done early.