When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

34 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It’s an interesting thought though isn’t it.

As you state your healthy and age is on your side however although less at risk than for example an 80 year old from Iraq you are still at risk.

You’d be prepared to potentially lose your life or risk life long health issues to save someone at the end of their life?

I’m not saying your right or wrong but it’s an interesting thought process.

Yes I would. An elderly person is still a human and if there is a chance their life can be saved then I would wait a bit longer for my vaccination. If it gives them a bit more time with their Grandkids then it’s most definitely worth it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

This actually makes a lot of sense as the early trial data showed the 1 shot working better in the younger group too.  We were discussing this in work the other day and the feeling was that given the pressure to vaccinate younger key workers, teachers etc, that this would be the perfect solution to getting them done early. 

What do you think about the J&J staying one shot in the long term? I'm getting the impression that I'd be far less likely to catch it and be a vector for others to get sick if I still had a booster - even if I was still unlikely to get ill. And I'd likely retain immunity for much longer.

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Furthermore, in the long term, could even a three dose regime for the other vaccines be considered to really stamp out transmission?

I reckon they might give us young uns the J&J and keep back excess Oxfords and Pfizer’s for that exact reason. Better to have some leftover in case the immunity runs out and vulnerable people start catching the virus again. Whereas with the J&J, if younger people were to start catching it again down the line it’d be less of an immediate health emergency. 

1 hour ago, incident said:

I'm pretty sure that in terms of vaccine purchasing / approval / distribution, we've not done anything that we couldn't have done while still an EU member.

We could have but the great unknown is would we have done? All the other EU countries stayed together and waited to get conditional approval rather than emergency use. Personally I think that was the wrong decision as if this isn't an emergency what is? Literally every day of delay costs lives so better to roll it out as fast as possible.

As for vaccine in other countries the faster we get the whole u.k population protected the sooner we can roll out our excess vaccines to other countries. What's even the point of a country if it doesn't protect its own citizens first.

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

You misunderstood.  I'm saying feb 15th will be when they will give us a road map out of lockdown

Tad early I think, maybe end Feb ( based on nothing more than a semi-educated guess). It's good to be thinking big such things with some confidence tho.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What do you think about the J&J staying one shot in the long term? I'm getting the impression that I'd be far less likely to catch it and be a vector for others to get sick if I still had a booster - even if I was still unlikely to get ill. And I'd likely retain immunity for much longer.

I’ve a feeling we’ll need top ups and tweaks of these shots over the years anyway! There’s loads more development still to come on the vaccine front, intranasal for kids would be a good one to get sorted over the next while. I know most of the time kids are fine when infected, but it would just be a bit more reassuring. I get my Hep B booster from time to time, so depending on how long the protection from these new vaccines lasts, we’ll probably end up doing the same. When we get the data on the 2 dose phase 3 for the J&J shot, if it shows substantially better protection, then it would be possible to get people back in for another one (even if it’s 6 months later). 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I reckon they might give us young uns the J&J and keep back excess Oxfords and Pfizer’s for that exact reason. Better to have some leftover in case the immunity runs out and vulnerable people start catching the virus again. Whereas with the J&J, if younger people were to start catching it again down the line it’d be less of an immediate health emergency. 

Shelf life on the Pfizer shot is about 6 months unfortunately, so not a lot of use in hanging on to it. OX/AZ should be ok for about a year/18 months. 

11 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

We could have but the great unknown is would we have done? All the other EU countries stayed together and waited to get conditional approval rather than emergency use. Personally I think that was the wrong decision as if this isn't an emergency what is? Literally every day of delay costs lives so better to roll it out as fast as possible.

As for vaccine in other countries the faster we get the whole u.k population protected the sooner we can roll out our excess vaccines to other countries. What's even the point of a country if it doesn't protect its own citizens first.

I seem to remember we had the option of signing up to the EUs vaccine procurement scheme(s)? We decided not to which I think was criticised at the time, but the logic for not doing so was sound.

Edit: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-politics-53361906

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

15 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

The only problem with that is that Pfizer/AZ et al. Would have needed to make 27 different approval submissions to 27 different health regulators in each individual EU country. Each one slightly different, so I suspect that would have taken even longer. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

It’s been a busy thread today. Where did the entire UK population vaccinated by May/June story come from?

the current rates of vaccination suggest that 4 million per week is not totally out the question ... 3 million per week more likely but at the former rate early june is possible .... vaccine availability dependant ... but it looks like we dont have any issues getting the jabs in arms .... 

• Like 1

Just now, dotdash79 said:

A few of my friends that are around my age have had their first jabs (40ish) in the last couple of days, they would be in the extremely clinically vulnerable category, and these were in different areas. They don't work in key worker positions either.

That's very good to see some younger people that are also vulnerable getting the vaccine too. Must be a relief for you and your friends.