When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

55 minutes ago, st dan said:

Yep, I’d say that’s almost a certainty now.

It’s just the moving goalposts that are difficult to cope with (although understandable given the ever changing nature of the virus) - originally we all assumed lockdown would be until the end of February, now it’s going being pushed back even further, and the worry is that a chunk of 2021 will be eaten up before any form of normality returns. 

This - I was so hopeful at the beginning of the year that we were finally seeing the way out but the narrative has definitely changed in the last week where it seems there is no end to lockdown and we are being constantly being reminded of the awful state we are in at the moment. I would think that most of us are fully on board with the current lockdown and are aware how desperate things are at the moment but the messaging is seeming relentless now. If it’s a form of ‘propaganda’ to ‘hold the line’ I would think most are complying but it’s not going to change the minds of those that weren’t bothered before. I feel I’m now being ‘guilt tripped’ into compliance where it isn’t needed. It won’t change my behaviour but it might start to have the opposite effect on others that were doing all they could to restrict contact but thinking why should I bother when even with vaccines it’s getting no better and not seeing any sort of road map out.

There does need to be a strategy - I don’t think it needs confirmed/actual dates as such but it would be so good to have a plan in place as to what is deemed ‘acceptable’ for

. infection rates

. hospitalisations

. deaths

. vaccinations

to start easing the restrictions. I’ve mentioned previously this ‘tipping point’ is going to be the hardest discussion/decision yet. What is ‘acceptable’ to the majority? Obviously there isn’t going to be a true consensus when some seem to want a zero Covid policy, which is unfortunately never going to happen, but I do think there are a lot of people out there desperate now for a reason to keep pushing on and need to know it’s not relentless and there are actual targets for easing restrictions 

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

This - I was so hopeful at the beginning of the year that we were finally seeing the way out but the narrative has definitely changed in the last week where it seems there is no end to lockdown and we are being constantly being reminded of the awful state we are in at the moment. I would think that most of us are fully on board with the current lockdown and are aware how desperate things are at the moment but the messaging is seeming relentless now. If it’s a form of ‘propaganda’ to ‘hold the line’ I would think most are complying but it’s not going to change the minds of those that weren’t bothered before. I feel I’m now being ‘guilt tripped’ into compliance where it isn’t needed. It won’t change my behaviour but it might start to have the opposite effect on others that were doing all they could to restrict contact but thinking why should I bother when even with vaccines it’s getting no better and not seeing any sort of road map out.

There does need to be a strategy - I don’t think it needs confirmed/actual dates as such but it would be so good to have a plan in place as to what is deemed ‘acceptable’ for

. infection rates

. hospitalisations

. deaths

. vaccinations

to start easing the restrictions. I’ve mentioned previously this ‘tipping point’ is going to be the hardest discussion/decision yet. What is ‘acceptable’ to the majority? Obviously there isn’t going to be a true consensus when some seem to want a zero Covid policy, which is unfortunately never going to happen, but I do think there are a lot of people out there desperate now for a reason to keep pushing on and need to know it’s not relentless and there are actual targets for easing restrictions 

Yeah I agree

I suspect feb 15th will be a good time for it. We should know where we are in terms of effects of vaccines effects on the situation.

17 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yeah I agree

I suspect feb 15th will be a good time for it. We should know where we are in terms of effects of vaccines effects on the situation.

I’m sorry but I don’t think they are going to loosen lockdown on 15th Feb. 

I do think the government owe it to 68 million people who live here to provide a basic roadmap out of this. Whatever they deem appropriate - whether this is 10 days of falling cases below 10,000 or under 250 deaths a par. Something, or anything along those lines. It’s not actually too important what he goalposts are - just that there are some. 
Comments like Hancock’s today are very unhelpful and can make people’s already fragile states even worse - right now there is no real end in sight. He should have just said it’s being constantly monitored and announcement will be made in due course. 

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

We will be very close to 500k vaccinations looking at the figures.

For a Saturday that is great, we can be confident of smashing through that in the coming days with the new mass vaccination centres coming online this week!

Yeah I think 600k could be do-able in next couple weeks

for an 18 year old with no medical history .... this is the timescale for 4m per week 

Based on your profile, there are between 22,471,954 and 32,984,142 people in front of you in the queue for a COVID vaccine across the UK. 
📅 Given a vaccination rate of 4,000,000 a week and an uptake of 70.6%, you should expect to receive your first dose of vaccine between 09/03/2021 and 29/03/2021.

You should then get your second dose by between 01/06/2021 and 21/06/2021.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Wow, we really could be doing 4m+ a week.

If we are at almost 500 p/w end of Jan with snow etc plus on a Saturday then there is way more to come. For example, Sturgeon says this week there will be a ramping up in Scotland now care homes are done so anther 15,20k p/d can come from here. Then in England you have 30 odd mass sites opening tomorrow so I think 600 is doable with supply.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

for an 18 year old with no medical history .... this is the timescale for 4m per week 

Based on your profile, there are between 22,471,954 and 32,984,142 people in front of you in the queue for a COVID vaccine across the UK. 
📅 Given a vaccination rate of 4,000,000 a week and an uptake of 70.6%, you should expect to receive your first dose of vaccine between 09/03/2021 and 29/03/2021.

You should then get your second dose by between 01/06/2021 and 21/06/2021.

So everyone would have been vaccinated by Glastonbury weekend? Well that's just depressing.

56 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Do you guys reckon nationwide tier 4 (I.e. schools open) from early March, tier 3 in April with shops and gyms opening, then probably a much more relaxed view in May with hospitality open and small household gatherings allowed, so tier 1 basically.

Is that going to be possible?

Think opening Schools would be a bad move. Schools are a vector for the virus so opening is just gonna spread the virus. The second issue is if we relax restrictions people are going to enjoy themselves are there's this feeling of we're at the end of the tunnel and we're safe. I rather stay in lockdown a tad longer if that's the case.

The goal needs to be that when lockdown ends, that's it, no more lockdowns.

If the above is correct, we are Vaccinated 3m-4m a week, meaning we have vaccinated 27m by the end of March (9 weeks x 3m a week). Obvs rough numbers and very much just using the weekend numbers as a baseline. If this is the roundabout figure, we basically covered all the at risk people.

The issue is

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

So everyone would have been vaccinated by Glastonbury weekend? Well that's just depressing.

depressing and good at the same time .... I prefer to see the positive ... glastonbury is off now ... but it means fingers crossed we might have some kind of summer ....