When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

There's a few people on here who said we wouldn't even do 1 million a week! I hope they're eating a large slice of humble pie right now.

or alternatively celebrating the fact they were wrong on that particular thing .... its not outrageous to predict govt failures  .... 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

or alternatively celebrating the fact they were wrong on that particular thing .... its not outrageous to predict govt failures  .... 

I'm the first to call out this inept, incompetent, useless bunch of twats we have in power. But fucking up this vaccine roll out was never going to happen, because we do it with the flu jabs every year.

Just now, Punksnotdead said:

I'm the first to call out this inept, incompetent, useless bunch of twats we have in power. But fucking up this vaccine roll out was never going to happen, because we do it with the flu jabs every year.

I dont disagree .... I was always optimistic on that front .... but equally fair if people were nervous about it 

I don’t post often but I want to thank many of you for the news and updates you give. It’s thoughtful and most of it comes from a great place. 

ive been feeling quite low this week; classic January feeling yet normally I can do things to pick myself up which I can’t this year. 

Sounds sad probably to many, but really hoping I can see some cricket from May onwards, as live sport along with live music is a great passion, but not sure how likely that is. Also due to get married in September (booked it about a week before lockdown 1) so would love that to go ahead as usual. 

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to many of you, stay safe and hopefully we can all be doing things we love soon

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, JB15 said:

I don’t post often but I want to thank many of you for the news and updates you give. It’s thoughtful and most of it comes from a great place. 

ive been feeling quite low this week; classic January feeling yet normally I can do things to pick myself up which I can’t this year. 

Sounds sad probably to many, but really hoping I can see some cricket from May onwards, as live sport along with live music is a great passion, but not sure how likely that is. Also due to get married in September (booked it about a week before lockdown 1) so would love that to go ahead as usual. 

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to many of you, stay safe and hopefully we can all be doing things we love soon

you to ... enjoy the wedding ... and hopefully you will get some cricket in May .... id be more positive of that than last year ... maybe slightly more problematic early .... but I reckon you will get something 🙂 ..... and its not sad ... we all miss things and hope to get some form of reality however small 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Yeah I was one but to be fair the government have cocked up every decision thus far. 

I'm definitely not banging the drum for this shower of shit government - they deserve no credit whatsoever. But we've been vaccinating over a million every week in winter for years, there was never a possibility we wouldn't manage at least as many for this.

18 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

This feels like the key to me - it looks like the vaccine rollout is run by people who have experience of a vaccine rollout. This contrasts with Test and Trace and the PPE procurement etc. where spending money on private companies often owned and/or run by Conservative donors seemed at least equally important to the effectiveness of the solutions being sourced.

37 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Yeah I was one but to be fair the government have cocked up every decision thus far. 

59 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

There's a few people on here who said we wouldn't even do 1 million a week! I hope they're eating a large slice of humble pie right now.

I got it wrong (though I never cited those numbers. I said I thought they'd do up to 71% of the target and looks like they'll do just over 100% of the target). 

Don't know if you are going to make me eat your pie but not only am I wrong, I'm delighted I'm wrong

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I got it wrong (though I never cited those numbers. I said I thought they'd do up to 71% of the target and looks like they'll do just over 100% of the target). 

Don't know if you are going to make me eat your pie but not only am I wrong, I'm delighted I'm wrong

Fair play.  I'm glad your wrong as well!

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

Not sure anyone said they were going to fuck it up. It was all about published capacity and availability. Even that still isn't clear and/or there has been a bucketload of misinformation published. 

The NHS has built up and exceeded their initial capacity estimates after looking to have underestimated the scale and have built that capacity. We don't even know what the maximum is they could achieve throughout the network. But their well publicised target was 1 million per week and the government eventually wished for 2 million. They can now clearly do a lot more than that. 

It looks like we currently have the requisite supply. This is despite published estimates from the suppliers giving figures way down on what we actually currently have at this time (even AZ were saying that by end of January they simply hoped to deliver 2m doses per week). Were they sandbagging?

The delivery rates are varying and will vary in the future which will affect rollout as is currently publicised.

The prism was always whether sufficient of the population would be fully vaccinated in time for a festival season and especially the vulnerable groups totalling c. 25 million people. The test is the sustained rollout to the 70-80% needed to stop the spread. That was looking to be late summer/early autumn, but if this rate can be continued, we might get there a bit quicker, although the first dose rate will slow, as the second dose requirements come into play and take up capacity.

41 minutes ago, Jime1977 said:

This feels like the key to me - it looks like the vaccine rollout is run by people who have experience of a vaccine rollout. This contrasts with Test and Trace and the PPE procurement etc. where spending money on private companies often owned and/or run by Conservative donors seemed at least equally important to the effectiveness of the solutions being sourced.

Whilst we're at giving credit when we didn't expect to, Kate Bingham of the vaccine taskforce, appointed in just a murky way as her counterpoint in test+trace AND without any relevant healthcare experience (her background is in venture capital management), appears to have done a decent job in procuring vaccines, with the only misstep in not ordering Moderna until the results were published. And even that made sense - there was a bet placed in each technology area and we already had mRNA covered.

Given how far through we are now for a country our size, it's hard to conclude she's not done a good job in placing orders.

Now, the sharing of information with investors and her PR bill are not to be overlooked, https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/10/kate-bingham-well-connected-but-under-fire-uk-vaccines-chief but on the life saving task of actually procuring vaccines, she seems to have pulled it off.

• Like 1