When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

I'm the first to call out this inept, incompetent, useless bunch of twats we have in power. But fucking up this vaccine roll out was never going to happen, because we do it with the flu jabs every year.

I was sceptical, but so far have been proved wrong. I think the main worry was always going to be supply, but fortunately so far that doesn't seem to be an issue. Thank god for the Oxford/AZ vaccine.

Incidentally, I had a flu jab recently and the nurse had to ask whether I gave consent to be administered an unlicenced flu vaccine. It turns out they have run out of normal flu vaccine, whatever that is, and the MHRA have done an emergency authorisation to use a US flu jab which is not UK licenced. I still had it though. Anyone else had the same?

I think there needs to really be a global push on the supply of vaccines so that vulnerable people round the world are getting it, everywhere. Can't be right that teenagers in Israel are getting the vaccine whereas vulnerable citizens of poorer countries like Afghanistan or Yemen are unlikely to get it at all this year,

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Not sure anyone said they were going to fuck it up. It was all about published capacity and availability. Even that still isn't clear and/or there has been a bucketload of misinformation published. 

The NHS has built up and exceeded their initial capacity estimates after looking to have underestimated the scale and have built that capacity. We don't even know what the maximum is they could achieve throughout the network. But their well publicised target was 1 million per week and the government eventually wished for 2 million. They can now clearly do a lot more than that. 

It looks like we currently have the requisite supply. This is despite published estimates from the suppliers giving figures way down on what we actually currently have at this time (even AZ were saying that by end of January they simply hoped to deliver 2m doses per week). Were they sandbagging?

The delivery rates are varying and will vary in the future which will affect rollout as is currently publicised.

The prism was always whether sufficient of the population would be fully vaccinated in time for a festival season and especially the vulnerable groups totalling c. 25 million people. The test is the sustained rollout to the 70-80% needed to stop the spread. That was looking to be late summer/early autumn, but if this rate can be continued, we might get there a bit quicker, although the first dose rate will slow, as the second dose requirements come into play and take up capacity.

You absolutely implied that for about 50 posts. You said repeatedly there was no way hey would meet the mid-Feb target. You could just admit you were wrong instead of now saying no it was the nhs estimated that were wrong lol.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think there needs to really be a global push on the supply of vaccines so that vulnerable people round the world are getting it, everywhere. Can't be right that teenagers in Israel are getting the vaccine whereas vulnerable citizens of poorer countries like Afghanistan or Yemen are unlikely to get it at all this year,

Or Stanley Johnson who has had his 2 doses ahead of some others who are arguably more vulnerable?

Edited by Ozanne
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

You absolutely implied that for about 50 posts. You said repeatedly there was no way hey would meet the mid-Feb target. You could just admit you were wrong instead of now saying no it was the nhs estimated that were wrong lol.

I try not to engage with chippy cocks, but you are wrong.

2 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I try not to engage with chippy cocks, but you are wrong.

I've no idea what a chippy cock is lol.

We all saw your repeated posts about how these targets wouldn't be met I can't even be arsed going back to find them cause we all saw it. Now you're refusing to admit you were wrong!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

An important point made here. While it's great to see the UK doing so well with vaccine rollout more work needs to be done to improve global rollout. There are significant challenges to this, not only supply and logistics. The UK is well placed to take a lead here.

4 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Rather rude and unnecessary.

Besides, he is right.

Course I am. The guy was relentless with his doom-mongering and now he's too proud to admit he was well off the mark. No no, heaven forbid Copperface was wrong- it was the fault of the NHS for publishing goals that were too low!

• Upvote 1

I still may be wrong, and really hope I am but we'll see. But the Feb target of 14 million odd is one small step in the right direction and irrelevant in the greater scheme. Let's hope we get there. If we do, then that is great.

But I don't think anyone said that the rollout would have been fucked up.  The NHS and ministers specifically gave 1 million per week as a target, and AZ clearly understated the supply in the first few weeks.

The point was whether the total programme, even before they started messing around with dosing intervals etc would be enough for festivals to go ahead. The doom mongering has unfortunately been proved right.

5 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I still may be wrong, and really hope I am but we'll see. But the Feb target of 14 million odd is one small step in the right direction and irrelevant in the greater scheme. Let's hope we get there. If we do, then that is great.

But I don't think anyone said that the rollout would have been fucked up.  The NHS and ministers specifically gave 1 million per week as a target, and AZ clearly understated the supply in the first few weeks.

The point was whether the total programme, even before they started messing around with dosing intervals etc would be enough for festivals to go ahead. The doom mongering has unfortunately been proved right.

Yeah I don't think anyone really said they'd fuck up the rollout, people were just sceptical because of the history of the government which is totally understandable.

39 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Wrong. Israel paid a pretty penny to be able to vaccinate everyone quickly. It’s a zero sum game and third world countries will be pushed to the back of the queue. 

8 minutes ago, Copperface said:

No it wasn't, that is a separate thread. The discussions were centred round whether the mid-feb target would be met and how many jags we could do per week. It seems the answer to the last question is at least 3 million (probably way more)

4 hours ago, Homer said:

Oh, are/were people still allowed to holiday as long as it was to the middle east then?

I think a lot of them used the excuse of going out to work, maybe did an hour or two, then that was it. A lot of the celebrities wo have been much in evidence over Christmas in Dubai were certainly doing this - taking a photo of themselves in Dubai, putting it on their SM, as as they were 'influencers' claiming it as work. The UAE also had a massive programme of inviting a lot of people on 'working' visits, as long as they publicised it.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Wrong. Israel paid a pretty penny to be able to vaccinate everyone quickly. It’s a zero sum game and third world countries will be pushed to the back of the queue. 

I'm not so sure it is a zero sum game. The more 'advanced' nations have learned and continue to learn (sometimes expensive) lessons on how to best implement vaccine rollout. It's now perhaps time to share this knowledge with poorer nations and put in support where possible.

As we hopefully begin to move out of this nightmare in the UK I do hope the urgency and commitment continues and is refocused to a more global perspective.