When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, tigger123 said:

No matter how many people go back to pubs etc, what we do know is that we can’t have the economy contracting by 35% every quarter, as it has done this quarter. This will lead to vast unemployment and far more deaths in the long run. People need jobs to pay tax in order to fund the NHS and if we’re going to have to maintain extra capacity for covid on top of what the NHS was already facing, that’s going to cost vast sums of money. Even if pubs etc reopen not at full capacity (which I agree will definitely happen as some will inevitably stay away), you can’t just kick the can down the road forever. The sooner the pubs open, the sooner they will eventually be back at full capacity, as people learn to live alongside coronavirus, until we get a vaccine/effective treatment

I'm not sure that opening the pubs sooner will help us learn how to live alongside COVID more quickly. It's not like having the pubs open provides vital epidemiological information. I was with until you said that bit. For sure, we can tackle this virus in a much less crude way, but if we want to get the pubs to full capacity, that work is happening in the lab, not the pub - opening them sooner is not going to allow us to get them to full capacity sooner. Although, I suppose that if we leave it too late, there won't be any solvent businesses around to open them at all.

To be clear, I'm firmly in team balance - open them too soon and we have another wave, killing people and crippling the economy. Open them too late and we cripple the economy, which kills people and undermines our ability to fight the virus.

45 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yeah, probably why there is talk of letting the premiere league happen behind closed doors, so that people are distracted/happier

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not, but I’d be happy for football to come back (when it’s safe) even if it’s behind closed doors. 

The WHO really across and incredibly useless.

40 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

at least as a Liverpool fan I will be ... not sure about everyone else though ...

Even as a Liverpool fan I am not sure it will make me feel much happier.  Its going to be a real anticlimax - I am not sure I can even muster up much enthusiasm if they finish the season.  30 year wait and breaking records all round, and it just feels kinda insignificant now don't you think?

5 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Even as a Liverpool fan I am not sure it will make me feel much happier.  Its going to be a real anticlimax - I am not sure I can even muster up much enthusiasm if they finish the season.  30 year wait and breaking records all round, and it just feels kinda insignificant now don't you think?

Nope, not in the slightest.  As long as the club get that trophy I don’t care how it’s done.  It’s thoroughly deserved and a long time coming.

May I add though football should only return once it’s safe to do so, however long that takes.

6 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Yep .., I see that ... but it’s a way of getting back to some normality ... with emphasis on the some ... it doesn’t take away the incredible performances this year though

As a Manchester United fan it'd be remiss of me not to see some very dark humour in Liverpool's 50 year wait continuing.

Though I long ago made my peace with them winning the league this season, and for my LFC season ticket holding stepdad who, due to illness, doesn't have too many years remaining to watch his team play.  It would mean the world to him.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.  I don't care either way, but the money in the game has finally met its match here, if you'll pardon the pun.  I get that for many it's a step on the road back to normality, but like circus92 says above, it's all a bit insignificant right now.  I suspect when it does eventually return it'll be quite different to how it has been previously.

11 minutes ago, sisco said:

Nope, not in the slightest.  As long as the club get that trophy I don’t care how it’s done.  It’s thoroughly deserved and a long time coming.

May I add though football should only return once it’s safe to do so, however long that takes.

Just genuinely curious what do you think the benchmark for safe to do so actually is with regards to football? There is a good chance corona becomes endemic and never goes away, so from a fans point of view the risk of catching it at a game could exist forever. From a players point of view it would be the same. If games end up being played behind closed doors, if just one club member gets it, is that it? Call it off again and stop indefinitely? If players and fans alike aren’t prepared to face some risk of getting corona then when will football be able to return?

1 minute ago, picicata said:

Behind doors football games are so sad and depressing, like watching a beloved old dog struggling to get out of its bed.

Completely agree - it may be a step towards normality, but it’s very far from normal

27 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Just genuinely curious what do you think the benchmark for safe to do so actually is with regards to football? There is a good chance corona becomes endemic and never goes away, so from a fans point of view the risk of catching it at a game could exist forever. From a players point of view it would be the same. If games end up being played behind closed doors, if just one club member gets it, is that it? Call it off again and stop indefinitely? If players and fans alike aren’t prepared to face some risk of getting corona then when will football be able to return?

It’ll be the same as flu and whatever else you could possibly catch.  Most will build up an immunity to it (and I’m hoping there’ll also be a vaccine). 

you could turn it around and say there’s no point starting general day to day life again just in case. It’ll happen when it’s safe to happen. 

34 minutes ago, sisco said:

It’ll be the same as flu and whatever else you could possibly catch.  Most will build up an immunity to it (and I’m hoping there’ll also be a vaccine). 

you could turn it around and say there’s no point starting general day to day life again just in case. It’ll happen when it’s safe to happen. 

That’s my point though, I agree it will be like flu and won’t really be going anywhere necessarily. But what point is safe in that scenario? I’m not asking you directly as such, but just generally curious as to what point organisations like the premier league will define safe to be. If they want to operate in a situation where there is no risk that their players or fans can get the virus then football will never happen again. 

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That’s my point though, I agree it will be like flu and won’t really be going anywhere necessarily. But what point is safe in that scenario? I’m not asking you directly as such, but just generally curious as to what point organisations like the premier league will define safe to be. If they want to operate in a situation where there is no risk that their players or fans can get the virus then football will never happen again. 

Exactly and that will never ever happen.  I think football will stay behind closed doors until there is a vaccine.  It will start again because there’s too much money involved for it not to be (not right but no doubt it’ll happen).  

Will there be players that refuse to play? Maybe initially.   Will there be players that prefer to be unemployed? I doubt it.  

Football won't start up before September even behind closed doors in my opinion.

The logistics behind it just won't work...are they going to quarantine entire squads for weeks on end. Keep players from their families? What if a player catches it? What if he spreads it to another 6 players who're then all out of comission?

6 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Football won't start up before September even behind closed doors in my opinion.

The logistics behind it just won't work...are they going to quarantine entire squads for weeks on end. Keep players from their families? What if a player catches it? What if he spreads it to another 6 players who're then all out of comission?

China started sporting events.  Poland start again next week.  NBA players are starting to gear up to play, Germany are looking at starting Football in May.  

I’d be absolutely amazed with all the money involved if the prem isn’t completed by the end of July.