When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

19 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

At last some support for the Newly Self Employed, but 600,000 is not the correct amount according to recent ONS data.

Least some of the #ExcludedUK will now get some much needed support.

https://www.gapsinsupportappg.org/news/newly-self-employed-support-a-drop-in-the-ocean

It is a bit of a lottery, the rules.  I knew someone who had moved jobs in late Feb 2020, and missed out on furlough. Previous employer told him to go away, peers got the months on 80% stress-free pay whilst he had to scamble about for anything he could get.  Fast food deliveries to those on furough, I know it hurt him personally.  Just timing. 

Businesses want certainty. Knowing there is help available until September provides it.

Restrictions ease from next week, and it will only be 16 weeks before we are hopefully done with them completely and every adult offered a vaccine.

Can we just do this once and correctly for a change.

• Upvote 8

5 minutes ago, august1 said:

Businesses want certainty. Knowing there is help available until September provides it.

Restrictions ease from next week, and it will only be 16 weeks before we are hopefully done with them completely and every adult offered a vaccine.

Can we just do this once and correctly for a change.

Indeed.  It is an unusual situation where public health and business are aligined I think!  I would personally enjoy dates moving forward for things, but I get how business & public health currently go hand-in-hand stickikng to the planned dates.  Boris certainly had good advice on this one!  On a winner being the one to say "slow down" on the final finish!  (Note - not a Boris fan, but can see how this will play well for him)

I think they should have aligned the furlough end date with the lockdown easing date. So furlough will go on until all lockdown measures have eased plus another month say. That would give business owners some certainty that they know their businesses are safe until things get back to relative normality. If lockdown ends in May/June then I can't think there will be many businesses who wouldnt want to resume trading to cover the summer holiday months,  businesses and employees need to get back to work as soon as they can, not least for their own mental health. Especially in the hospitality sector, I can't see which businesses currently benefitting most from furlough will be kick started again from October, as the holiday season finishes. We need viable businesses employees' back to work as soon as it is safe to do so, I am not sure if such an extended safety net helps a great deal

10 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I think they should have aligned the furlough end date with the lockdown easing date. So furlough will go on until all lockdown measures have eased plus another month say. That would give business owners some certainty that they know their businesses are safe until things get back to relative normality. If lockdown ends in May/June then I can't think there will be many businesses who wouldnt want to resume trading to cover the summer holiday months,  businesses and employees need to get back to work as soon as they can, not least for their own mental health. Especially in the hospitality sector, I can't see which businesses currently benefitting most from furlough will be kick started again from October, as the holiday season finishes. We need viable businesses employees' back to work as soon as it is safe to do so, I am not sure if such an extended safety net helps a great deal

Money for their pals

35 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

It is a bit of a lottery, the rules.  I knew someone who had moved jobs in late Feb 2020, and missed out on furlough. Previous employer told him to go away, peers got the months on 80% stress-free pay whilst he had to scamble about for anything he could get.  Fast food deliveries to those on furough, I know it hurt him personally.  Just timing. 

Yeah it sucks for millions who missed out on any help at all whilst others got so much.

There should be parity for all the #excluded 3million+. 

Feels like while the help for the newly self employed is very welcome news (myself included), it's a PR stunt to appease a small group and make it look like he is the good guy again. 

8 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

We employ a lot of seasonal staff. A lot of them are returning seasonals (go travelling in the winter or work in a ski resort, that sort of thing) so have actually worked for us for years, but started back with us in February so missed out on furlough. Was very hard on them. The company at least let them live rent free in staff accommodation so that was one less worry

9 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

We employ a lot of seasonal staff. A lot of them are returning seasonals (go travelling in the winter or work in a ski resort, that sort of thing) so have actually worked for us for years, but started back with us in February so missed out on furlough. 

Yes the new starters who through no fault of their own changed jobs or started new jobs are another group who got #excluded.

Furlough extension to September should help prevent job losses in some sectors, am thinking aviation and cultural who perhaps won't be able to open till late summer if Bojos roadmap goes to plan.

That vaccine has floored my partner. She had it early saturday afternoon, was mostly ok rest of day, bit of a sore arm. On Sunday she started feeling crappy, had a temperature, went to bed. On Monday she was doing ok, but then got really tired and was out of it most of the day. Yesterday she was in bed all day with a migraine. Got up at one point and tried to eat something, threw up and went back to bed. Have to see what today brings!

6 minutes ago, kalifire said:

My parents have both had the vaccine and have been absolutely fine with no side effects. Both 69, both AZ. 

Both mine were fine too, although my partner's mum felt a bit rough, as did my friend's parents. Does seem to vary a lot.

Hope your partner feels better soon @steviewevie Sounds grim.

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Both mine were fine too, although my partner's mum felt a bit rough, as did my friend's parents. Does seem to vary a lot.

Hope your partner feels better soon @steviewevie Sounds grim.

I read somewhere about younger people suffering more from side effects. My mum was totally fine too, she had pfizer and is 90.

Just now, steviewevie said:

I read somewhere about younger people suffering more from side effects. My mum was totally fine too, she had pfizer and is 90.

Ah interesting. If true could be a lot more people suffering as we go down the age groups, so I guess we'll see.

Just anecdotal but more people seeming to have issues after AZ than Pfizer so far. The ones I mentioned before were all AZ but my partner's dad had Pfizer and he was fine.

No surprises here, shambolic system been contracted out to this company who have no control over the product they are charging for.

If that was me, it would be simply be a case of getting my money back for a product that's paid for, but not delivered.

Some UK arrivals 'still waiting' for quarantine Covid tests 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56260595

10 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah interesting. If true could be a lot more people suffering as we go down the age groups, so I guess we'll see.

Just anecdotal but more people seeming to have issues after AZ than Pfizer so far. The ones I mentioned before were all AZ but my partner's dad had Pfizer and he was fine.

Me and mum had AZ and were fine after around a day of feeling rough.

Had mine last Weds afternoon (I am 47) Around 1am (I was still up) I had some crazy shaking episode for about 30 mins. Felt a bit off all day Thursday and back to running 10 miles on Friday.

The shaking episode could be quite scary to some people though. I was just talking myself through it but had decided that if it went on much longer I would wake the missus up and tell her. Luckily it subsided.

I reported that side effect on the web site.

EDIT I had the AZ vaccine

Edited by faymondo
update