When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, DeanoL said:

NZ and Australia had their borders closed at that point still. 

Also not sure on the idea of people with second homes in Europe that can't afford a premium flight home or to isolate in a hotel for two weeks. Maybe they could sell their second home to pay for it?

Lol so that then means 6 months later it was clear it was on the table for the UK?
It's been said many times in this thread that the UK response and the Aus/NZ response are poles apart on all aspects of the pandemic.
They can not be compared what so ever!

And now I know your taking the piss, maybe they could sell their 2nd homes... LOL yeah ok mate.

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

I was a bit surprised at that as well. Our local GPs seemingly are concentrating on care homes and those shielding in their houses. Hopefully once this is done it will ramp up in the community. 

They keep saying care homes are basically done and we will be ramping up. The problem is the ramping up is not coming. Freeman says capacity for 400k p/w by the end of Feb so needs to be a big increase to get near there.

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

I was a bit surprised at that as well. Our local GPs seemingly are concentrating on care homes and those shielding in their houses. Hopefully once this is done it will ramp up in the community. 

My parents local GP has them both going into the surgery today for theirs, despite both being over 80+ and both vunerable with underlying conditions.

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

That's the thing though- it's an easy thing to say when there is 0 chance of it ever actually being an issue. That's why it was highlighted as virtue-signalling.

Yeah... there are literally ways to donate to poorer places to help them if that's what you want. Saying 'I WOULD HONORABLY DONATE MY VACCINE TO A POORER OLDER PERSON' when there is zero way to happen is grandstanding a little. 

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

They keep saying care homes are basically done and we will be ramping up. The problem is the ramping up is not coming. Freeman says capacity for 400k p/w by the end of Feb so needs to be a big increase to get near there.

Agreed, despite all the big talk from the Scottish government there are concerns at how it’s being rolled out up here.  Mrs c is a care in the community worker dealing with very vulnerable and the elderly .  She and her colleagues are still waiting to be told when they might get a jab. 

9 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Debenhams is to close as a business on the high street.

It was founded in 1778, before the likes of Charles Dickens was born.

These are truly transformational times... 

Debenhams has been fucked for a long time before Covid. This was its third administration. But yeah it hasn't helped.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Debenhams has been fucked for a long time before Covid. This was its third administration. But yeah it hasn't helped.

True but I guess it's been able to weather 243 years of storms and it's taken the combo of the internet and Covid to finally bumped it off.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yeah... there are literally ways to donate to poorer places to help them if that's what you want. Saying 'I WOULD HONORABLY DONATE MY VACCINE TO A POORER OLDER PERSON' when there is zero way to happen is grandstanding a little. 

To be fair, he asked that as a direct question. To which @Ozanne said yes. Wasn't just saying it for the hell of it.

• Like 1

On another note I just did my little video interview thingy for volunteering at a vaccination centre. Not as a jabber but a helper. Still a few steps to go through and training etc but am quite looking forward to it now. I only have to do a minimum of two shifts a month, which should be quite easy to fit around work.

Apologies if this is also virtue signalling, but I know a few people on this thread are volunteering or have been thinking about it so think it's useful to share experiences!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

On another note I just did my little video interview thingy for volunteering at a vaccination centre. Not as a jabber but a helper. Still a few steps to go through and training etc but am quite looking forward to it now. I only have to do a minimum of two shifts a month, which should be quite easy to fit around work.

Apologies if this is also virtue signalling, but I know a few people on this thread are volunteering or have been thinking about it so think it's useful to share experiences!

Ha working as a volunteer isn't virtue signalling. you're doing something practical to help:-)

Any last minute vaccines which need to be used asap, let us know! 🙂

Just now, zahidf said:

Ha working as a volunteer isn't virtue signalling. you're doing something practical to help:-)

Any last minute vaccines which need to be used asap, let us know! 🙂

I know working as one isn't, but thought maybe talking about it here might fall foul of the virtue signalling police! 

Yeah am intrigued to find out what happens to the leftovers. But I reckon I'm still probably about a month from starting realistically. Will update.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Im still awaiting a response ... Id hope that is because they are overwhelmed though ... didnt realise there was some kind of interview 🙂 although im sure that will vary by region / centre .... 

I know working as one isn't, but thought maybe talking about it here might fall foul of the virtue signalling police! 

Yeah am intrigued to find out what happens to the leftovers. But I reckon I'm still probably about a month from starting realistically. Will update.

I've retired from the virtue signalling police. Pay was shit and it wasn't very fulfilling work.

Well done with volunteering, hat's off to you. Absolutely post about it, don't let one snidey comment from me a few pages back put you off. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Im still awaiting a response ... Id hope that is because they are overwhelmed though ... didnt realise there was some kind of interview 🙂 although im sure that will vary by region / centre .... 

I think it depends who you are doing it with. Mine was via St John Ambulance. There was a long online questionnaire and I'm having a DBS check as well. Some other organisations seem to require less.

10 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yay 🙂 Excellent stuff, well done, hope you get going soon, as well as being a nice thing to do, I've really enjoyed the fact that you actually get to leave the house and speak to people!