When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

Remind me again why we shouldn't guillotine the rich? "B-but it's immoral!", some dork is no doubt going to say. But more immoral than hoarding wealth and willingly allowing millions to suffer? I doubt it.

Taxing them more might go down better with the general public than lobbing off their heads. Just a thought...

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

Remind me again why we shouldn't guillotine the rich? "B-but it's immoral!", some dork is no doubt going to say. But more immoral than hoarding wealth and willingly allowing millions to suffer? I doubt it.

Or instead of focussing on the few individuals we focus on the system which allows such a vast collection of wealth?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Taxing them more might go down better with the general public than lobbing off their heads. Just a thought...

Yeah but then so many people feel attacked when you talk about raising taxes, even if it wont actually effect them negatively. 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Or instead of focussing on the few individuals we focus on the system which allows such a vast collection of wealth?

Could do both. But these individuals have too much influence on the system, and will not willingly allow it to change if it's not for their benefit.

43 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Lol so that then means 6 months later it was clear it was on the table for the UK?
It's been said many times in this thread that the UK response and the Aus/NZ response are poles apart on all aspects of the pandemic.
They can not be compared what so ever!

And now I know your taking the piss, maybe they could sell their 2nd homes... LOL yeah ok mate.

It was clear it was a possibility. Travel restrictions in some form or another have constantly been in place in one form or another in parts of the world over the past twelve months, the rules constantly and regularly changing. If people want to take the risk and go to another country in the middle of a worldwide pandemic, then obviously not being able to get back is going to be a risk you take. If you've no way to get back, maybe don't take that risk?

And yes, you're telling me people can't afford to get premium flights back or can't afford to self isolate for two weeks when they do. Then you're telling me these people have second homes. You're the one telling me about these people with no money in their bank account but two homes. I'll be honest: I think these people you are talking about are entirely fictional. But I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. And if such people exist, one way they could afford the self-isolation would be to sell their second home. Indeed, selling their second home would probably be a financially prudent thing for them to do, given how they're otherwise penniless.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Not commenting on the contents of this particular poll but am I the only one that is sceptical about YouGov's surveys in general?

Most of the time I must admit I think they're full of shit.

They are always very carefully worded and exceptionally consistent at showing support for whatever the Government has just done or is about to do.

9 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I think tomorrow's vaccination numbers will be interesting. Just read some speculation that at least some of the number are reported on a 2 day lag. This would explain the high numbers published yday and the low numbers published on Tuesday.

So another lowish day tomorrow in theory then but surely we can expect 500k minimum on Wednesday with all of the new sites opening up today?

Anyone care to guess where the numbers will be on Sunday's results (Friday's vaccinations) this week? 

Could we be at near 600k?

Just now, JoeyT said:

So another lowish day tomorrow in theory then but surely we can expect 500k minimum on Wednesday with all of the new sites opening up today?

Anyone care to guess where the numbers will be on Sunday's results (Friday's vaccinations) this week? 

3 zillion at least.

Just now, JoeyT said:

Time will tell, it was just what the guy on Twitter who posts the numbers was speculating.

I think we could be near 600k by end of the week, yes. Would expect 3 mil plus this week.

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Time will tell, it was just what the guy on Twitter who posts the numbers was speculating.

I think we could be near 600k by end of the week, yes. Would expect 3 mil plus this week.

At some point surely supply is going to limit us though?

I'm not that well versed on it but it seems the EU are mad at AZ in relation to supply so considering there doesn't seem to be any mention of us having a similar issue does that mean we already have enough of that vaccine to know that the current blip they are experiencing won't affect our ability to vaccinate at our current rate?

Or am I being thick?

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I'm not that well versed on it but it seems the EU are mad at AZ in relation to supply so considering there doesn't seem to be any mention of us having a similar issue does that mean we already have enough of that vaccine to know that the current blip they are experiencing won't affect our ability to vaccinate at our current rate?

Or am I being thick?

My understanding is part of the reason we are protected from those issues is that moving forwards we are going to be manufacturing most of our Oxford/AZ supply domestically.

I can't stand this Government, but it appears so far that we have played an absolute blinder vaccines wise.

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Or am I being thick?

While it's more complicated than this - the bulk of the UK AZ supply is coming from UK 3rd party manufacturing that's contracted via the UK government. The bulk of the EU AZ supply is coming from within the EU.

The terms of the UK deal, I believe, gives us first call on the doses manufactured here up to a certain point.

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Or am I being thick?

There are a lot of unknowns tbh.

We approved the oxford one way earlier though and ours is manufactured in the U.K. - they are keeping quiet on how much we have and how much we are getting delivered/ produced so it’s hard to really tell.

There is obv a supply limit somewhere but the fact we have hit basically half a mil in one day already and it’s still January suggests to me that there is plenty more room to grow. Just my opinion though.

7 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

At absolute peak capacity - is over a million doses in a day completely unrealistic and unthinkable?

Hmmm who knows to be honest. Maybe a bit of a stretch. Although we are at 500k already so who really knows. 

Maybe in a few months when there are more vaccines in play, the oldies and care homes have been done twice and supply issues are ironed out. 

I personally think that is OTT but somewhere in the 700 plus region I would guess is doable. When we have to start doing second doses in large numbers we are going to need to ramp up. Don't forget that all those 500k people who go a vaccine on Friday will all need another in 12 weeks time. So if you want to keep doing first doses at a good rate it will need to be upped.

2 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

At absolute peak capacity - is over a million doses in a day completely unrealistic and unthinkable?

The main obstacle is timing really. It's only unrealistic in that the supply would need to increase massively - and by the time the supply does get up to that level, which probably means all 5 vaccines approved and delivering, then the programme will likely be starting to wind down as the bulk of people will have already been done.

They could probably do it sooner if there was a concerted effort to aim for a million on a specific day - but that would mean doing far less during the rest of the week so it only makes sense in PR terms not in any real logistical sense.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

To be honest, that's really excellent news since the E484K mutation in the SA variant was what was causing the main concern (and that's the main cause of concern in the Brazilian variant too...basically it looked like the Brazilian variant might be a composite of faster spreading with the alteration seen in the UK variant added to potential immune escape from the SA variant...but it looks like the Moderna vaccine still works and that's a good indication that the others should perform similarly). 

• Upvote 8