When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Brownie30 said:

Seems almost perverse with numbers still looking pretty concerning BUT tomorrow evening I will have my first real taste of a return to pre-Covid life as one of 1000 fans let in to a pilot event at the mighty Wycombe Wanderers vs Stoke City in the Championship. All tickets spaced out by 3 / 4 seats apart, one way systems, temp checks and masks enforced all around the ground, even outdoors. Bound to be very weird, but with football and gigs / festivals the two main staples of my social life I'm incredibly excited to get a first real taste of one of them for the first real time since March! 

Nice, enjoy!

Have you been told no singing, etc?

I saw a few people on Twitter saying fans wouldn't be allowed to sing, cheer loudly, etc which would be pretty strange. I went to a Northern Ireland game a couple of weeks ago and we had to wear masks but were allowed to sing.

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

Nice, enjoy!

Have you been told no singing, etc?

I saw a few people on Twitter saying fans wouldn't be allowed to sing, cheer loudly, etc which would be pretty strange. I went to a Northern Ireland game a couple of weeks ago and we had to wear masks but were allowed to sing.

Code of Conduct for the game states "Take Care when singing, chanting or celebrating" so keeping themselves slightly on the fence with that one! 

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Ban booze sales? in England? Yeah good luck with that. That would start riots

If you look at my preceding post then you’d see that’s not what I meant. I’m talking about stopping alcohol sales after 11pm in line with when pubs close, which given that the majority of shops aren’t open then wouldn’t cause big issues I don’t think. People would still have 17 hours in the day to buy as much booze as they wanted.

Edited by tigger123

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

. But instead the government will still be issuing advice, backed by the scientists - much of which will be: keep your contacts low, don't touch people you don't need to, try not to gather in groups of more than 6... along with advice for pubs, restaurants etc. on distancing - but crucially it will be advice, rather than law)

How does the government reconcile that advice but then permits 235,000 people to camp nose to tail in a field for six days?

All what you have mentioned will probably be fine, but it's pretty easy and fairly risk free for the government to restrict large events through the summer, while at the same time allowing the vast majority of normal activities to go ahead.

32 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Masks can get right in the sea.

Having said that, it's the only thing I can think of that seems like it could explain the relatively sharp drop off of cases in lockdown MK2.  We have a much less stringent lockdown this time, but with widespread mask wearing - could that be the key?

Anyone else have any thoughts?  

I guess lockdown has basically removed all non-masked social behaviour and its gone down accordingly. Using Manchester and Liverpool as examples as they had tier 3 beforehand, it does seem to indicate hospitality was spreading it more than some of us maybe thought. 

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That's the tricky bit and the crux of this for me - part of it will depend on evidence of it actually preventing severe disease and transmission.

But without that, if it's belt and bracers - ie. I've had it, but pubs are sticking to table service, wiping down tables all the time, gigs are seated and no squeezing past people to get to your seat, people from different groups are still spaced out a bit (maybe 1m, not 2m) then yeah. But if it's back to a free-for-all, mosh pits, random hugs from strangers COVID is over let's party... then no I wouldn't feel more comfortable.

It's like, I wasn't comfortable going out during summer, it felt too risky, even with the restrictions. A vaccine that makes it 90% less risky would be great - if I had had that vaccine in June then I'd have gone out in the summer. But I feel like next year, loads of that 90% less risk will get counteracted by 50% or so more risk because there's no distancing any more. So is it actually that much safer out?

(And like I say, if I'm right and lots of people feel like me, I think a lot of businesses may find they're actually more popular if they keep some restrictions in place)

If it helps, we lived with my parents in summer and were being very careful, but beer gardens seemed really safe. That said they live in a pretty rural area and the beer gardens are massive. We just went in the day time - was really nice actually - practically had it to ourselves and left as it started to fill up. It'd be even better with the later rules of masks and table service.

That's about as far as we went with it all apart from a couple of meals out on really hot days in the beer garden near our new place (also big - more of a field with tables in than your concreted terraces!). I'd definitely say timing and picking your locations would give you safe options

36 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I guess lockdown has basically removed all non-masked social behaviour and its gone down accordingly. Using Manchester and Liverpool as examples as they had tier 3 beforehand, it does seem to indicate hospitality was spreading it more than some of us maybe thought. 

I started a thread called "Don't go to the pub" and got a load of shit for it.  But I did actually go to the pub in the end, so... I was right, but a hypocrite?? :D

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I started a thread called "Don't go to the pub" and got a load of shit for it.  But I did actually go to the pub in the end, so... I was right, but a hypocrite?? :D

Hahaha I didn't even make that link! I was the same - completely against them reopening but ended up in beer gardens when the sun came out.

I was banging on about schools spreading it and how they should be closed - can you imagine if we'd closed them for a couple of extra weeks at half term too? Purely from a virus perspective, forgetting the consequences of that, we'd be at such low levels now 

4 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Shielding the vulnerable while society chases herd immunity via natural infection and vaccinating the vulnerable are two different things (one is achievable, the other isn't). I'm no weirdo (matter of opinion!) and completely disagree with the Great Barrington Declaration....but if morbidity and mortality fall off a cliff once the more vulnerable members of society are vaccinated, then we start to move back towards normal (and a reasonable timeline for that is Spring/Easter). Will still require wider uptake of the vaccines later in the year to reinforce that protection (and with any luck, there will be even more choice available), but we won't be locking down/imposing severe restrictions if the hospitals are empty of COVID patients and mortality drops in line with the personal protection levels supposedly provided by the various vaccines. How prevalent long COVID is really represents the major unknown and the possible spanner in the works...best data I've seen so far suggests about 2% of symptomatic infections, we just don't have an entirely accurate picture of how many infections are asymptomatic. It's estimated that at least 90% are undetected, but that includes mild infections...how prevalent is long COVID in "mild" cases? we still don't fully know (but there does seem to be a correlation with initial symptoms...those that had scratchy throats and not much else aren't reporting breathlessness months later in their droves...and the case definition of long COVID itself is still a bit up in the air. It remains a worry, but thankfully, something the vaccines can deal with too). Anyway, we don't need vaccine-driven herd immunity (60-70% of the population) to open things back up again given the huge disparity in risk across different age ranges. 

Put it far better than I could. There is no way on earth we’re waiting for 70% uptake (which we may never, ever achieve) to reopen.

40 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

Put it far better than I could. There is no way on earth we’re waiting for 70% uptake (which we may never, ever achieve) to reopen.

Don't think anyone is saying that, are they?