When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Big durbs said:

This morning, on my way to the gym I passed a car boot , nothing strange there I here you say , BUT , the car park looked like a Glasto car park field ie rammed, and the sale looked like Oxford street on Christmas Eve . 

Now I don’t want to ruin anyone’s fun , but from what I saw next to no face masks being worn and this is not going to help stop the spread. And more importantly get us to the point we can enjoy glasto next year ! 

Rant over ..

Presumably it was outside ... so far less risky 

32 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Now kids are back in school their bubbles are 100+ people, one positive test and they’re all locked down for two weeks. But Richard Madely has said it’s all over now and along with Ian Browns advice I think we will be fine 🙂

Bubbles of up to 240 at my school... 

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

My birthday plans usually fall on the weekend before Christmas. Getting anything organised is a nightmare. 

Hate combined presents too. 

Yep that must be Shit .... singleness and dark nights piss me off too at times when it seems like everyone else is having fun (grumpy crazyfool ) 

So, coming back to the Russian vaccine...results of the Phase 1/2 were published in the Lancet on Friday...It was 2 separate phase 1 studies, so non-randomised, mainly looking to see how different doses and formulations performed. The vaccine itself is a two shot vaccine with two different human adenovirus vectors, the aim with the two different vectors is that if an immune response is mounted against the first one, then it won't destroy the booster, but the CoV part in both is the same. They checked both antibody production and t-cell expansion as well as interferon production (anti-viral response) in response to the vaccine. Also looked at side effects. Initial data looks promising, decent humoral (antibody) and cellular (t-cell) immune responses were generated after administration, and occurred in 100% of participants. Side effects were all mild, no serious side effects and nothing requiring hospitalisation. Immune response was followed out to 42 days and was stable. So, in terms of how a Phase 1/2 might perform, all good. 

By far the most important aspect of the trials was that they used two different formulations, a frozen one and a freeze-dried one that is reconstituted in water. The big finding was that the freeze-dried one performed almost as well as the frozen one, meaning the logistics for shipping and storage change utterly (some of the other vaccines in production require shipping at -21C and storage under those conditions as well, which adds cost and a serious storage headache)...now going into a 40,000 person phase 2/3 trial...so wait and see!

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

So, coming back to the Russian vaccine...results of the Phase 1/2 were published in the Lancet on Friday...It was 2 separate phase 1 studies, so non-randomised, mainly looking to see how different doses and formulations performed. The vaccine itself is a two shot vaccine with two different human adenovirus vectors, the aim with the two different vectors is that if an immune response is mounted against the first one, then it won't destroy the booster, but the CoV part in both is the same. They checked both antibody production and t-cell expansion as well as interferon production (anti-viral response) in response to the vaccine. Also looked at side effects. Initial data looks promising, decent humoral (antibody) and cellular (t-cell) immune responses were generated after administration, and occurred in 100% of participants. Side effects were all mild, no serious side effects and nothing requiring hospitalisation. Immune response was followed out to 42 days and was stable. So, in terms of how a Phase 1/2 might perform, all good. 

By far the most important aspect of the trials was that they used two different formulations, a frozen one and a freeze-dried one that is reconstituted in water. The big finding was that the freeze-dried one performed almost as well as the frozen one, meaning the logistics for shipping and storage change utterly (some of the other vaccines in production require shipping at -21C and storage under those conditions as well, which adds cost and a serious storage headache)...now going into a 40,000 person phase 2/3 trial...so wait and see!

Question about these vaccines - we're all being told (we being laypeople) that vaccines are very difficult and most of them fail. Has there actually been any bad news out of these vaccine trials? All the high profile ones seems to be sailing through their trials with reasonable efficacy and minimal side effects.

What gives? Were coronaviruses "easy" to make vaccines for all along, it's just that we hadn't tried? Has our general biotech knowledge just advanced since there was last a significant push to develop vaccines?

At the risk of jinxing it, where's all the bad news?

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep that must be Shit .... singleness and dark nights piss me off too at times when it seems like everyone else is having fun (grumpy crazyfool ) 

That was one of the reasons I joined a gym, even if i dont speak to anyone at least i have a bit of human contact in the evenings. Also the gym now seems to be back to its normal quieter levels for when I go so the novelty must have worn off.

1 minute ago, gazzared said:

That was one of the reasons I joined a gym, even if i dont speak to anyone at least i have a bit of human contact in the evenings. Also the gym now seems to be back to its normal quieter levels for when I go so the novelty must have worn off.

I swim off peak .... well at least I will when I get myself in gear to go book the slots ... that does help but I don’t really have much contact as I just swim 🏊‍♀️ and come home again 

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Question about these vaccines - we're all being told (we being laypeople) that vaccines are very difficult and most of them fail. Has there actually been any bad news out of these vaccine trials? All the high profile ones seems to be sailing through their trials with reasonable efficacy and minimal side effects.

What gives? Were coronaviruses "easy" to make vaccines for all along, it's just that we hadn't tried? Has our general biotech knowledge just advanced since there was last a significant push to develop vaccines?

At the risk of jinxing it, where's all the bad news?

A combination of things really, yes, our vaccine development platforms have improved, so we are good at making things that will stimulate our immune systems. However, much like drug development, most of the failures come at phase 3...all of the vaccines developed so far generate an immune response and don’t have any obvious side effects. Phase 3 is where you see if it actually stops you getting infected/developing the disease and where you start to pick up rarer side effects...so still plenty of time for them all to fail! (I don’t think they all will)...