Taking Helicopter To Glastonbury

Dukeicon

37 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

I think last time they confiscated his gear but let him stay

I saw somebody paraglide in 2010 while I was working on the perimeter towers. 

One of the girls working came on the radio and meekly said "someone is parachuting in", cue some confused responses from control and advice to keep an eye on him. I watched the guy float down to the stone circle and switched to the other security channel to hear the security teams scramble to him. Land rovers screamed down and the team got out and got him just by the stone circle. 

There was lots of jubilant chatter that they got him then mr Eavis got on the radio, asking if the man parachuted in and told the security to let him enjoy the festival

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Don’t tell me you wouldn’t if you lottery numbers came in....??

I wouldn't get in a helicopter if you gave me 50k. Or a hot air balloon. I've jumped off the biggest canyon swing in NZ and done countless bungee jumps... but something about helicopters really doesn't sit with me. Or those stupid balloons with a wicker basket hanging off it and that giant flame blasting up into it, relying on the wind. No ta.

8 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

I wouldn't get in a helicopter if you gave me 50k. Or a hot air balloon. I've jumped off the biggest canyon swing in NZ and done countless bungee jumps... but something about helicopters really doesn't sit with me. Or those stupid balloons with a wicker basket hanging off it and that giant flame blasting up into it, relying on the wind. No ta.

Interestingly I have done both the helicopter and the hot air ballon (neither into Glastonbury) but could not imagine tying an elastic band to by foot and launching myself off a bridge....

funny what the brain sees as risk...

4 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Interestingly I have done both the helicopter and the hot air ballon (neither into Glastonbury) but could not imagine tying an elastic band to by foot and launching myself off a bridge....

I’m with you there, I could never do a bungee jump, I just couldn’t do it with the ground so close and that initial stage of hurtling towards it, no thanks. Have been in a helicopter but wouldn’t actively seek out doing it again. Haven’t done a sky dive but wouldn’t have any problem doing one, the ground being so far away would make it a lot more bearable than a bungee.

Edit: this would be me 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m with you there, I could never do a bungee jump, I just couldn’t do it with the ground so close and that initial stage of hurtling towards it, no thanks. Have been in a helicopter but wouldn’t actively seek out doing it again. Haven’t done a sky dive but wouldn’t have any problem doing one, the ground being so far away would make it a lot more bearable than a bungee.

despite having a fear of heights I did all 3 ..... the bungy attached to a nice danish girl .. so that outweighed any fear ..... Skydive like you say you dont really appreciate the height until its all a bit late .... but once that chute opens its such a buzz ... Id recommend it :) and mine being in NZ over franz joseph glacier also helped ... helicopter also good as a one off 

I once knew a bloke who invited me and a few friends to join him in his helicopter from Birmingham, which was to land right in the  garden of a mutual friend's house, for a party she was having (in Wales). I'm not sure why now, but I decided not to go. So, the bloke had his own helicopter, as well as this;

Image result for boat babylon + andy ruhan

and this;

Image result for Lady K II

And to think that he didn't have a pot to piss in when he first started out in adult life.

On 3/4/2020 at 12:44 PM, crazyfool1 said:

I once got a helicopter flight in New York .... although the flight was more memorable for the fact I tore my shorts climbing into the helicopter ... it was unseasonably hot in October and id only taken one pair of shorts ... and I couldnt get a replacement pair anywhere at that  time of year and I had to spend an hour or so walking about new york , trying to avoid arrest from NYPD  for exposure .... Sod those prices my love of the festival is so big I think that might prevent me going for another few years paying it off :) ..... and yes I might be a C@@t :) 

You couldn’t find a pair of shorts anywhere in New York City?! Even in winter I’d fancy my chances, I think your hat making ability outweighs your short sourcing ability

Just now, jow95 said:

You couldn’t find a pair of shorts anywhere in New York City?! Even in winter I’d fancy my chances, I think your hat making ability outweighs your short sourcing ability

maybe but I wasn't about to go too far trying to source them ......:) 

19 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Totally agree, sky dive, bungees, coasters and drops but helicopters are a no from me! 

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

They still have to land at the pad above the site towards purple dont they, thus you still have to carry all your shit in as usual?

These are for day visits so you fly down for the day then fly home later on once you have had enough. No camping stuff required. 

On 3/4/2020 at 6:58 AM, eFestivals said:

because I'm not a c**t...?

Climate change. Self-important. Just selfish.

More efficient than flying in a jet from Ireland or t’up North... not a little Cessna though.

I kind of get the self important bit a tad as the sort of person that would heli in probably be a bit of a c**t.

Then again, some of my favourite passengers when I was flying were competition winners or once in a life time oldies who’d really saved for premium experience. I doubt these are the people that would ever consider Glasto remotely.

14 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Agree, helicopters are the least safest aviation mode of transport bar float planes. I would much rather skydive than be bounced around on the end of massively re-enforced elastic band.

I’d love to fly a Cessna over Glasto whilst it’s on, CAA wouldn’t allow it & I’d miss being at the fest.

On 3/4/2020 at 8:02 PM, dotdash79 said:

it would feel a bit like jurassic park arriving by helicopter, especially with the fence.

Hell yes, get whatever brass band they get on the pyramid playing the music and that would be epic.