Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

2 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Let's take RATM to Glastonbury then

Coachella have a licence in the polo grounds for desert trip which sometimes happens in October so it’s probably not ‘that’ bad of a move for them. Also Rage’s tour goes up to October so they’ve probably still got Rage onboard.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Insiders saying Coachella is moving to October.

https://inforoo.com/thread/36861/coachella-2020?page=297

Right... don’t panic... but... I’m a bit concerned now.

Isn’t it next month? We are over two months after it finishes and well  past the time when the virus is predicted to peak. 

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Isn’t it next month? We are over two months after it finishes and well  past the time when the virus is predicted to peak. 

10 Apr – 19 Apr 2020

I understand that it’s still a bit before Glastonbury but if many events during, after and in the wake of this cancel or postpone it might take us up to June quicker than we’d like.

A postponement just wouldn’t work for Glastonbury, would it?

The one thing Glastonbury has in its favour over any other event, is that regardless of who cancels (act wise) and when it ends up being (if hypothetically it could be postponed) it would almost certainly still sell out one way or another.

For any other festival it could potentially send it under 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Exactly, events in the next couple of months will me cancelled, it won't have a sway on June and July yet. Because if it does no events ever again will happen as this won't be eradicated 

36 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Speaking on March 2 he was correct. There was no justification then. Problem is we're on an upward trajectory and 4 days later the number of cases had quadrupled, we had 2 deaths and had 2 Heathrow baggage handlers infected. The latter could suggest transfer from an infected surface. As it stands today it is highly unlikely curtailing crowds at sports events  festivals etc can be justified but this could quickly change.

How do events operative if we need a 2 metre radius of space between each other? For every person with corona watching the headliner on the Pyramid Stage that's potentially 20+ others infected.

Why do this? Every time I’ve seen someone come here with a possible bit of good news or hope you quickly pour cold water over it. Can’t you let people have the hope for a bit, what does dampening expectations really do?

Edited by Ozanne
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Did anyone else watch late news last night, especially BBC, and notice a slightly more rational approach to the reporting?  More mention of recovery numbers highlighting over half of global cases now recovered, the likelihood of a mild infection to the vast majority and new infection rates continuing to fall in China.

They weren't saying we're out of the woods by any means but there was a different tone to recent days....OfCom told them to rein it in maybe?

Maybe the newsreaders got worried that there wouldn't be any loo roll left when they nipped to the shop after work...

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Speaking on March 2 he was correct. There was no justification then. 

The thing is though, the Chief Medical Officer, who also suggested a few days ago that cancelling mass events wasn't necessary, would have known full well that we were on an upward trajectory. He's an expert in epidemiological modelling and he probably has a crap load of other modeller minions working for him. Their job is literally to plot the trajectory into all the possible scenarios. If he says that large gatherings won't make it any better or worse, he's probably right!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Just now, Sasperella said:

The thing is though, the Chief Medical Officer, who also suggested a few days ago that cancelling mass events wasn't necessary, would have known full well that we were on an upward trajectory. He's an expert in epidemiological modelling and he probably has a crap load of other modeller minions working for him. Their job is literally to plot the trajectory into all the possible scenarios. If he says that large gatherings won't make it any better or worse, he's probably right!

He’s probably also got a ticket for Glastonbury 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sasperella said:

Cos he is playing to the Governments tune, which is to keep us calm and hope for the best, prioritising the economy. The balance is excess deaths vs economic collapse.

4 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Cos he is playing to the Governments tune, which is to keep us calm and hope for the best, prioritising the economy. The balance is excess deaths vs economic collapse.

No. He’s a Chief Medical officer so won’t play along with the government’s plans, he’s giving his expert medical advice or how he feels the situation should be handled. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

This is some next level tin-foil hat shit, good work.

I mean, I hate the tories as much as the next woman, but the Chief Medical Office is a civil servant health expert NOT a Tory stooge. 

And for what it's worth, I actually do think everyone probably should calm the fuck down!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Are we considering the possibility as Coachella to not cancelling but postponing to August/September let's say? 

I think Glastonbury would unfortunately just have to cancel. Coachella can easily move to October as it will still have warm weather.

August / September move would probably not work.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think Glastonbury would unfortunately just have to cancel. Coachella can easily move to October as it will still have warm weather.

August / September move would probably not work.

August could work weather wise, September is a bit of a lottery. I had some great Bestivals and some horrific ones.

I think it just wouldn’t work from a logistical point of view, so many bands and contractors to consider, plus there must be considerations as to when in August, there are loads of other events in that month, what if they did it the same weekend as Reading? Surely that wouldn’t be fair.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

52 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

I never said you were guaranteed a ticket if you were prepared and motivated, there’s another gazillion people trying as well and you may be unfortunate and miss out but as long as you are prepared to the best you can be you have as good a chance as anyone. 

Fair enough, but what you actually said was "That’s a proper defeatist mentality, if you’re prepared and motivated nothing can stand in your way on ticket day. "

Clearly luck and all those other people can stand in your way! 

10 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

August could work weather wise, September is a bit of a lottery. I had some great Bestivals and some horrific ones.

I think it just wouldn’t work from a logistical point of view, so many bands and contractors to consider, plus there must be considerations as to when in August, there are loads of other events in that month, what if they did it the same weekend as Reading? Surely that wouldn’t be fair.

The thing is the artists it has booked are not in Europe late summer, most are booked up in America. Moving to August would see a significant change in the lineup.

I think Glasto unfortunately would just be cancelled. Not postponed.