Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

Just now, kaytee... said:

I need to stay off here cos it's depressing as hell but I can't understand the mass panic when the numbers of people diagnosed across the globe are still so low compared to population size. I really can't grasp why people need to be updated hourly on a virus that it so far less deadly than the common flu. 

Media hype and advertising clicks. 

14 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Glastonbury is late June where this is early April, hopefully that extra time is important.

I was feeling optimistic that this would be over by summer until I read a piece last night by Prof. Hugh Pennington in which he stated the peak of the swine flu epidemic in the UK was July. 😐

2 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

This thread ruined almost all the optimism I had: 
https://twitter.com/lizspecht/status/1236095180459003909?s=21

Your first mistake was clicking on twitter for news. 

It also refers to the US specifically. They’re going to be hit hard over there because they’re not testing for the virus nor can most people afford to take time off work or pay for the treatment either. They are screwed over there. 

Over here in the civilised world we’ll be fine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It also refers to the US specifically. They’re going to be hit hard over there because they’re not testing for the virus nor can most people afford to take time off work or pay for the treatment either. They are screwed over there. 

Yeah, you’re right, I should stick to *EFESTIVALS* for my epidemiology savvy.

(hope you’re right, reading that sounds like we’re all fucked by July. Hey ho)

Edited by whitehorses

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

But a large proportion of the acts performing will be American, 2 of the 3 headliners for a start, so we do have to keep an eye on what’s happening over there 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

not sure about that. It'll overwhelm health services, hugely. It's going to (probably) hit, and when it does it's going to hit hard - but there's not actually anything anyone can do about that, or to avoid that.

And while when it hits hard can be delayed, there becomes a point where there's not really any point in delaying it further.

The biggest problem out there for festivals is going to be people screaming "do something" when there's not really anything that can be done. The govt is going to feel the need to look like it's doing something even tho what they do isn't going to change anything.

1 minute ago, tigger123 said:

But a large proportion of the acts performing will be American, 2 of the 3 headliners for a start, so we do have to keep an eye on what’s happening over there 

We’ll get some new headliners when the US is locked down. I’m not that bothered about either of those two. I wasn’t planning on going to see them anyway.

3 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

my epidemiology savvy.

To be fair I trust the epidemiology knowledge of festival goers as much as someone who says "I'm an engineer this is what I do all day, back of the envelope calculations." I trust that person not at all on epidemiology and I'm a bit iffy on their prowess as an engineer.

Edited by mcshed

2 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

one of the US acts for c2c pulled out yesterday, citing the need to keep band and crew safe. 

Which is fair enough of course, until you realise they're not actually any safer staying home. :P 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

one of the US acts for c2c pulled out yesterday, citing the need to keep band and crew safe. 

Which is fair enough of course, until you realise they're not actually any safer staying home. :P 

There has been an American who came home from China who has actually said he felt less in danger from the virus while he was in China. 

4 minutes ago, mcshed said:

To be fair I trust the epidemiology knowledge of festival goers as much as someone who says "I'm an engineer this is what I do all day, back of the envelope calculations." I trust that person not at all on epidemiology and I'm a bit iffy on their prowess as an engineer.

That all depends how plausible the arguments are though. And gotta love some back-of-a-fag-packet numbers. 

I found her arguments and Marlboro numbers plausible. And she is a science director at something or other I wasn’t really paying attention BECAUSE WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE 

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

There has been an American who came home from China who has actually said he felt less in danger from the virus while he was in China. 

Very understandable after hearing Trumps latests speech at the CDC

Donald Trump used a freewheeling press conference on Friday, intended to provide updates on the coronavirus, as an opportunity to attack Democrats, praise his own intelligence, lash out at CNN and spread false and misleading information about the status of the outbreak, as a slew of new cases were confirmed aboard a cruise ship off the California coast.

Speaking at the Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) main campus in Atlanta, Georgia, while wearing his red “Keep America Great” re-election campaign hat, the president went on a rant criticizing Washington state’s governor, Jay Inslee, as a “snake” and saying he disagreed with his vice-president’s complimentary remarks toward the Democrat. Inslee, who ran for president last year, is overseeing the response to the most serious outbreak in the US.

In a moment that some commentators have called one of the most “disturbing” and “frightening” remarks of Trump’s response to the public health crisis, the president also said he would prefer that cruise ship passengers exposed to the virus be left aboard so that they don’t add to the number of total infections in the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/06/us-coronavirus-death-toll-washington-state

14 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The only problem is we have a lot of artists from America expected, I am sorry I've been sucked into the panic a bit this morning haha

I still think it is very much on until it is off 

34 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Glastonbury is late June where this is early April, hopefully that extra time is important.

Oh I agree. I still believe Glastonbury will go ahead, at the moment. But what interested me most about the article is how the business behind the scenes of a festival cancellation works. 

5 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

That all depends how plausible the arguments are though. And gotta love some back-of-a-fag-packet numbers. 

I found her arguments and Marlboro numbers plausible. And she is a science director at something or other I wasn’t really paying attention BECAUSE WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE 

As long as you're being reasonable then carry on.

9 hours ago, TownesMR said:

The odds are so low I'll ever get the chance to go again. Just realizing that fucking sucks so bad. Praying that it goes ahead. If it doesn't, I hope to god that I have a 2021 automatically, because I don't realistically see it happening in my life otherwise.

Mate, don't despair. Whatever goes down this year, I'm sure we'll see you right in the end if we can. Keep the faith. 

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

This is pretty much what I'll keep saying, come June it probably wont matter where you go as if its going to be everywhere then you either stop everything or nothing. 

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The biggest problem out there for festivals is going to be people screaming "do something" when there's not really anything that can be done. The govt is going to feel the need to look like it's doing something even tho what they do isn't going to change anything.

This is what I’m thinking, the Tory government only care about then public perception and their desperation to stay in power thus will only take action to give off the perception they are doing something. As I’ve said they would look to cancel music events etc but events like Wimbledon where their rich friends can drink Champagne and spend a day at Centre Court will still go on because it’s one rule for us and another for them.

Also the event that has been cancelled in the US last night is in this month! Glastonbury is 3.5 months away, it’ll be fine all the noise coming out from medical chiefs is large, outside gatherings are low risk.

11 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

This is pretty much what I'll keep saying, come June it probably wont matter where you go as if its going to be everywhere then you either stop everything or nothing. 

yup.

All the same it seems inevitable that some overseas acts will stay home - if nothing else, people would prefer to have an illness when they are at home - but I don't really expect that to be a big deal. I reckon it'll mostly be handled by the booking agents who'll phone Glastonbury and say "band-x won't fly over, but I can offer you band-y to replace them".

18 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

As I’ve said they would look to cancel music events etc but events like Wimbledon where their rich friends can drink Champagne and spend a day at Centre Court will still go on because it’s one rule for us and another for them.

I said it often, if they cancel Glastonbury and other festivals but allow perceived establishment events such as the boat race, Wimbledon, ascot and open golf where their is mass gatherings then it’s time comrades to start the revolution.

• Upvote 2

One thing we all know is America over reacts. I’ve gone from not worrying at all, to worrying about it potentially being cancelled and it’s getting draining. Mainly cause it’s the focal point of my year like many others. Now i think American acts will be on jeopardy. I mean we can’t do anything but wait, so plan the best you can and if the worst happens it happens. 

I do wonder who will headline if Kendrick and Taylor have to pull out or if the worst case happens and Macca pulls out due to health (please no Coldplay jokes)