Extreme Mud or Extreme Heat.

Crazyfool01

Extreme Mud or Extreme Heat. ? definitive poll :)   

290 members have voted

1. 1. Which is worst ? Extreme Mud ? or Extreme heat ?....... ok these things are all relative :)

• Extreme Mud
    • Extreme Heat

It’s actually a tough call - I’m thinking of 2016 v 2019.

2016: Too wet. All clothing damp the entire time. Couldn’t sit down unless a bench was available. Walking was hard. Missed quite a few acts just because walking in the mud takes twice as long/is a ballache. Toilets are even more disgusting than usual. Can get pissed to ease the pain.

2019: Too hot. All clothing sweaty the entire time. Could sit down. Walking was hard due to heat. Missed quite a few acts due to need for shade. Toilets fine. Can’t get pissed until after dark due to constant need for water. So dehydrated that hangovers 10x worse than usual. Hayfever completely ridiculous. 

Just give me 18°C and dry. Don’t even care if it’s sunny really as long as it’s a comfortable temperature and not wet. 

Edited by JoBalls

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

we can do without a 50/50 split ... its supposed to be definitive >>> not 48 / 52 either !! :) 

Decided heat is worst just to make it an exciting 50 50 Split 

of course it’s disgusting gloopy wellie swallowing energy sapping swampy mud.  Now if folk read that they might just put their tickets back into the resale for others to hoover them up! ?

I'd rather the extreme heat of '19 or '10 over extreme mud anytime. 

The heat may be energy sapping and you've got to be a bit more  careful with how much you drink during the day but you can lie/sit down anywhere, you can wear what you want on your feet, you can walk around without a problem, the sunsets are glorious, the nights are more comfortable and being able to have a mid afternoon recovery nap on the pyramid is a wonderful thing.

For everyone using 2016 as the reference point - it was bad, but that's not the extreme.. 2007 was worse, and while I wasn't there there's people who'll swear blind that one of 97/98 (can't remember which) or one in the mid 80s were worse still.

Meanwhile 2019 was, factually, as hot as it's ever got so can be considered the extreme for now.

Mud you can mitigate, plus once you’ve done a couple of muddy years you know what to expect and can deal with it fine. It’s hard work sure, but most importantly it doesn’t stop you watching any of the acts  

Heat there is nothing to do but wait it out. We spent 4 hours of the Saturday afternoon this year in a sweaty heap in the Circus tent, it was grim. Couldn’t stay in the sun a second longer. Missed all sorts. 

Spent more time in 2019 doing absolutely fuck all, not drinking or doing any drugs, not even speaking at some points than any other year I’ve been. I was just praying that the sun would calm down a bit. Was absolute hell on Saturday. Felt like fucking off home. I can’t believe anyone enjoyed that heat. How?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

ok all decided ... time to close the poll ... mud is worst :) 100% agree 

Excellent, close the poll when the result is what you like!  I wish you could be in charge of the forthcoming general election! 

I remember in 2016, late at night walking up to the railway track at the back of the other stage. Wellie stuck in the mud and I went face first down into the swamp. Did my fellow festival goers help? No, they all pissed themselves laughing and started chanting EFellova EFellova!  So I hate the mud! 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Excellent, close the poll when the result is what you like!  I wish you could be in charge of the forthcoming general election! 

I remember in 2016, late at night walking up to the railway track at the back of the other stage. Wellie stuck in the mud and I went face first down into the swamp. Did my fellow festival goers help? No, they all pissed themselves laughing and started chanting EFellova EFellova!  So I hate the mud! 

effellova efesters   ? presumably slightly off the railway track ? that slope up from other onto railway track ive seen many come a cropper but not seen mud on the tracks ... plenty of leaves on the line though :) 

6 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Spent more time in 2019 doing absolutely fuck all, not drinking or doing any drugs, not even speaking at some points than any other year I’ve been. I was just praying that the sun would calm down a bit. Was absolute hell on Saturday. Felt like fucking off home. I can’t believe anyone enjoyed that heat. How?

Didn’t ‘enjoy’ it. But the mud was worse. At least in 2019 we could lie down on the grass in the shade and then get around easily at night. 2016 was hell by comparison imo 

Edited by whitehorses
Sp

48 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

effellova efesters   ? presumably slightly off the railway track ? that slope up from other onto railway track ive seen many come a cropper but not seen mud on the tracks ... plenty of leaves on the line though :) 

It won’t have been e festers!  Yes , the slope up to the railway line from the other . It was treacherous, dark and crowded. It’s a only crumb of comfort to know that others suffered the same fate. Restoring my dignity I dropped the c bomb, in my best glasgow accent, describing those who found it funny! All then had a good laugh about it and my wellie was recovered. 

The cool of the evening during a hot spell is tremendous and brings relief and reenergises everyone

Mud just lasts all day and night

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

6 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

The heat between midday and 4 on the Saturday was piss take hot but it eased off (and you could lie down if you needed).

In extreme mud years, you don't get that respite. Its exhausting to get around at all times and takes twice as long and trying to find somewhere to sit in the mud is as likely as finding a shaded area in the heat.

Each extreme is just as challenging in it's own way but on balance, the heat is more manageable for me than extreme mud