The Other and "Kind of Pyramid Level" Headliners

Hugh Jass

On 11/14/2019 at 9:53 AM, Hugh Jass said:

I've seen this mentioned a few times based on Emily's comments but the actual definition seems a little hazy at best. I think we need a definitive list of acts that would fit this description to refer to.

For my money the description applies to the following:

Nick Cave, Foals, The 1975, Biffy Clyro, Aerosmith, Dua Lipa, NGHFB, QOTSA, Stereophonics, The Strokes,

Not an exhaustive list, any others who fit the description? Looking at that it's not impossible that they could go all non-guitar on the Pyramid with three up against them on the Other.

I would hazard a guess, Foals, Biffy and Stereophonics will all be playing 2020. Either sub pyramid or headlining the Other

• Like 1

I mean The 1975, Foals and Royal Blood all fit this description for me and they are all about next summer. Surely one of them will be on the pyramid or something?

Or maybe all three of them are headlining the other stage. I can’t imagine one of them not being there.

14 hours ago, caballosblancos said:

Someone young and hip perhaps, like 1975?

or some mega dance act? Faithless? 

Fuck knows, just wasting pixels thinking out loud... ?

Why do Faithless keep getting mentioned?

Maxi Jazz has previously declared himself out, saying he's not that person anymore and he's into other music.  Has he changed his mind of something?

Just now, Stokesy10 said:

I was being sarcastic sorry as there's been a load of Faithless suggestions even though Maxi Jazz has said he's out.

Ah, OK.

I'd quite like it to be happening, mainly for nostalgic reasons, but I don't know why people keep saying it!   

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

dj set surely ? 

2 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I'd love it to happen. As Crazyfool say's maybe a DJ set.

Sister Bliss on the ones and twos is not Faithless!

Even though she keeps on getting billed as that.

Capture.JPG

Edited by stuie

Libertines headlining benicassim, played that secret set as sub on the pyramid the year Florence was giving the top job because Dave Grohl forgot where the end of the stage was. I love that band but I can’t see them headlining the festival, headlining the other maybe?

3 hours ago, stuie said:

Why do Faithless keep getting mentioned?

Maxi Jazz has previously declared himself out, saying he's not that person anymore and he's into other music.  Has he changed his mind of something?

Because  it couldn’t be Chemical Brothers again and I had a mind blank over other big dance acts ? 

so just went with the best of all 

Edited by caballosblancos

Something I'm wondering.

If the Other heads are genuine Pyramid level, Aerosmith, RHCP, RATM for example. What would that do for three acts that are the usual Other head size? Do they become John Peel headliners and so the pattern goes down like a domino effect? Do they just get demoted to Other sub? or do we lose out on three Other size headliners in favour for the bigger names? the last option would seem the most likely in that instance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1986 said:

Something I'm wondering.

If the Other heads are genuine Pyramid level, Aerosmith, RHCP, RATM for example. What would that do for three acts that are the usual Other head size? Do they become John Peel headliners and so the pattern goes down like a domino effect? Do they just get demoted to Other sub? or do we lose out on three Other size headliners in favour for the bigger names? the last option would seem the most likely in that instance. 

Spun my head a bit this.

I think Emily’s quote is one we could run away with easily. My guess with what she meant is that if the stars aligned the three other headliners could have a shot at the pyramid.

The 1975 are my thinking for this. They have just headlined Reading and proven themselves as a festival headliner, they also really want to play Glasto’s 50th anniversary. They have been a bit unlucky though as it sounds like Kendrick and Taylor were sorted early on, and they were obviously chasing Macca for the third. They kinda had no chance this year to get a pyramid headline due to the competition.

If it was another year where there were less acts going for that top spot I reckon they might have got the call.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Spun my head a bit this.

I think Emily’s quote is one we could run away with easily. My guess with what she meant is that if the stars aligned the three other headliners could have a shot at the pyramid.

The 1975 are my thinking for this. They have just headlined Reading and proven themselves as a festival headliner, they also really want to play Glasto’s 50th anniversary. They have been a bit unlucky though as it sounds like Kendrick and Taylor were sorted early on, and they were obviously chasing Macca for the third. They kinda had no chance this year to get a pyramid headline due to the competition.

If it was another year where there were less acts going for that top spot I reckon they might have got the call.

This is how I read her quote as too

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Spun my head a bit this.

This all makes sense in that they were maybe spoilt for choice for headliners and have managed to get some names on the Other stage to keep them involved. 1975 being a good possible example. 

It still makes me wonder what would happen to the likes of, from a purely selfish perspective, Bon Iver. Who I was hoping would be one of the headliners but wouldn't fit into this new description EE gave. Which would mean that other than a Pyramid sub spot (which would be much less preferable) there might not be space for them, unless they also take a lesser than expected slot.

All an over thought and I'm sure the quote is probably just Eavis bigging up who they have. But if the names on The Other genuinely were that big (and The 1975 fits in that bracket) I think we would miss out on some potentially great acts from the tier below.

7 minutes ago, 1986 said:

This all makes sense in that they were maybe spoilt for choice for headliners and have managed to get some names on the Other stage to keep them involved. 1975 being a good possible example. 

It still makes me wonder what would happen to the likes of, from a purely selfish perspective, Bon Iver. Who I was hoping would be one of the headliners but wouldn't fit into this new description EE gave. Which would mean that other than a Pyramid sub spot (which would be much less preferable) there might not be space for them, unless they also take a lesser than expected slot.

All an over thought and I'm sure the quote is probably just Eavis bigging up who they have. But if the names on The Other genuinely were that big (and The 1975 fits in that bracket) I think we would miss out on some potentially great acts from the tier below.

Wouldn't rule out Bon Iver yet, but they won't be playing lower than Other headliner. Remember it's "Kind of Pyramid level headliners". It would be a stretch but for an act that headlines decent-sized festivals, it's possible, especially when the quote is so loose. The quote could also not apply to all 3. Plus, Pyramid sub is a possibility. 

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t think there’s any space for 21pilots on the lineup.

They’d also be a weird booking for Glastonbury to make.

What, why? The space is Other stage headliner for sure, and vs Macca makes so much sense. You must agree it looks likely they'll be there with their dates? Didn't you say before they're headliners? In which case, they match the quote nicely.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think they will be somewhere else. I just can’t see them being the type of act Glastonbury would book.

Can you elaborate though? What about them suggests they aren't? Miley Cyrus and Babymetal weren't the type Glasto used to book, but they played this year (numerous other examples too, of course). We've got Taylor Swift as a headliner next year. Why not 21 Pilots on the Other stage?

53 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think they will be somewhere else. I just can’t see them being the type of act Glastonbury would book.

Maybe in a usual Glastonbury year but with Emily stating the Other headliners are bigger than usual I don’t see why not? Only thing possibly stopping them would be them not wanting to do it for the smaller fee or whatever, otherwise they seem like an obvious ‘big’ choice to go up against McCartney.