The Other and "Kind of Pyramid Level" Headliners

Hugh Jass

I've seen this mentioned a few times based on Emily's comments but the actual definition seems a little hazy at best. I think we need a definitive list of acts that would fit this description to refer to.

For my money the description applies to the following:

Nick Cave, Foals, The 1975, Biffy Clyro, Aerosmith, Dua Lipa, NGHFB, QOTSA, Stereophonics, The Strokes,

Not an exhaustive list, any others who fit the description? Looking at that it's not impossible that they could go all non-guitar on the Pyramid with three up against them on the Other.

• Like 1

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I've seen this mentioned a few times based on Emily's comments but the actual definition seems a little hazy at best. I think we need a definitive list of acts that would fit this description to refer to.

Nick Cave, Foals, The 1975, Biffy Clyro, Aerosmith, Dua Lipa, NGHFB, QOTSA, Stereophonics, The Strokes,

Not an exhaustive list, any others who fit the description? Looking at that it's not impossible that they could go all non-guitar on the Pyramid with three up against them on the Other.

RHCP may accept for the 50th though it would be a shock. 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I left RHCP off the list as I just didn’t think it was realistic.

I think you’ve got them all then. Also potentially Tool but doesn’t look like there doing festivals and then your onto big hitters like AM who might accept other stage for the 50th clashing with massive headliners. Very unlikely. At the moment I’m thinking 1975/Dua Lipa/Biffy Clyro clashing with Kendrick/Macca/Swift

Just now, jyoung said:

Hmmm, I don't know much about them but would Stereophonics not be a JP sized headliner these days? Could be completely wrong...

No.

They're not in any way exciting, but put them headlining the Pyramid and they'd still draw a respectable crowd size. Put them on the Other and it'd be one of the larger headline crowds that stage has seen in a while. People like bland unthreatening guitar music, and they don't come much blander than the Stereophonics.

They're still getting booked - and selling tickets - to headline some decent sized festivals around the country, which is probably why they've not been at Glastonbury in ages.

2 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Imagine we go through months of pondering who the pyramid like other stage headliners might be and...........it's Stereophonics 

saw Stereophonics at latitude this year, and they were surprisingly not shite. Played most of the hits, well spread through the set as well. Preferred them to the killers' set the year before tbh

To me it sounds like Foals, The 1975 - not really Biffy Clyro because it sounds like they haven’t been asked.

I’m thinking the 1975 because I reckon if it came between headlining other and not playing I reckon they’d cave in and just do it.

Foals are just happy to be there.

All these shouts of Enter Shikari and MCR are just silly. I love emo fans but I think they have an inflated sense of MCR’s popularity. Reunion or not - outside of Download and Reading & Leeds MCR struggle to get top billing. It won’t be either of them.

Foals, The 1975, The Prodigy is my guess.

Edited by Matt42
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

List looks pretty accurate to me, though Aerosmith anywhere but headliner still feels pretty wrong. NGHFB is probably a bit too much of a stretch and subbing the Pyramid seems an obvious one for him. I also don't envisage Dua Lipa not being on the Pyramid but it's certainly possible. Interested to hear some non-rock band possibilities. I guess we're writing off the likes of Calvin Harris and Swedish House Mafia for being too expensive? I think acts like that work with the description too, but it seems doubtful they'd get asked to headline the Pyramid regardless of fee.

Edit - forgot the Prodigy. 

12 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I think you’ve got them all then. Also potentially Tool but doesn’t look like there doing festivals and then your onto big hitters like AM who might accept other stage for the 50th clashing with massive headliners. Very unlikely. At the moment I’m thinking 1975/Dua Lipa/Biffy Clyro clashing with Kendrick/Macca/Swift

Absolutely no chance. 

Edited by The Martini Police

4 minutes ago, incident said:

They're not in any way exciting, but put them headlining the Pyramid and they'd still draw a respectable crowd size. Put them on the Other and it'd be one of the larger headline crowds that stage has seen in a while.

Blimey. Fair play to them then. I had no idea to be honest.

Just now, stuie said:

Has Dua Lipa got that big now then?  Was dragged along to mid afternoon John Peel in 2017 and now she's a potential Pyramid level Other stage headliner?

I could not believe this the other day but she has an average of 34 million monthly listeners on Spotify.

Thats more than Taylor Swift.

I'd be super surprised if The 1975 did the Other, and question their logic in doing so quite frankly! They're nailed on for a Pyramid headline slot in the next couple of years, assuming they're not actually booked for it for next year, and headlining the Other in 2020 might end up kicking that can further down the road for them. If they're not headlining outright in 2020, just wait until 2021 surely.