Drop the deposit.

Matt42

I was lucky enough to be successful this year, but I think ending the deposit system is the best way to make it easier on T Day for the loyal crowds.

The festival is at a point now where I feel they could comfortably do this. We are long gone from 2008 - the festival world is different now.

Make people cough up £260 in October with no lineup and I am sure things would be easier. I know too many people who drop £50 with no intention of going / conditional intent if Fleetwood Mac play!

• Downvote 7

Not so sure about that. It wouldn’t personally put me off, I think the deposit scheme has more positives than negatives. I now have about 6 months to save the money up rather then having to worry about finding £270 after holidays etc. Also makes it a lot more unrealistic to be able to buy for mates too. 

Edited by Dronx

But you’re paying the exact same money at the end anyway? £50 in October is not a cheaper method - you’re still spending the same amount of money at the end of the process?

I understand it is annoying that some people might struggle with October but something has to change if 2.4 million people are genuinely trying for tickets. Especially if many of those have a spare £50 to throw at the sale when they don’t know if they can definitely attend.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

But you’re paying the exact same money at the end anyway? £50 in October is not a cheaper method - you’re still spending the same amount of money at the end of the process?

Cheaper and more affordable aren't necessarily the same thing.

Aside from which, the deposit scheme reportedly is at least partly an attempt by the festival to ensure that the bulk of their income falls in the same tax quarter as the bulk of their outgoings (ie April to June).

I understand it is annoying that some people might struggle with October but something has to change if 2.4 million people are genuinely trying for tickets. Especially if many of those have a spare £50 to throw at the sale when they don’t know if they can definitely attend.

When you're poorer, it's harder to budget for these things. Those who don't want to go will lose their tickets in April putting more into the pot and those who end up going will be new blood.

Despite having been once or twice before, it's a good thing that new people attend. Loyalty shouldn't be rewarded, newbies deserve to go more than you or I do.

Keep the deposit.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Yeah, but how many people have a grand and a half in their account / on credit?

I think it would skew the festival towards the wealthy

they could leave it a couple of days to process payment?

i've bought plenty of things online that hve been processed, shipped and delivered before payment has even come out.

could probably do with dropping it to 4 tickets per person anyway, 6 seems quite arbitrary.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

When you're poorer, it's harder to budget for these things. Those who don't want to go will lose their tickets in April putting more into the pot and those who end up going will be new blood.

Despite having been once or twice before, it's a good thing that new people attend. Loyalty shouldn't be rewarded, newbies deserve to go more than you or I do.

Keep the deposit.

Whilst I agree mostly with you, newbies do not have more right to go, they have exactly the same right to go.

It gives people on a lower income more time to save for their ticket. And given that they go onsale only a couple months after the actual festival where money has already been spent, a lot of people wouldnt have the money to drop another 265 quid so soon. 

Changing the whole payment process for the sake of people who weren't lucky enough to get tickets would eliminate a large portion of people from attending. 

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

they could leave it a couple of days to process payment?

i've bought plenty of things online that hve been processed, shipped and delivered before payment has even come out.

could probably do with dropping it to 4 tickets per person anyway, 6 seems quite arbitrary.

Yes, but I expect when you order these things, the company has a check on whether the credit card is valid and has sufficient funds, before the balance is settled on delivery.

I do understand that it’s a sensitive issue as some may be priced out - but most other festivals ask for full ticket price upfront so it’s not abhorrent for Glastonbury to ask that.

If the process is going to be easier something has got to give. I don’t really see it happening but any move to make the festival rush easier won’t be universally accepted.