There has to be a better way to allocate tickets

burnageblue

11 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Erm swear it’s 1 million registrations ? But agree 

Assuming everyine who tried is actually registered, The Guardian articile for yesetrdays sale said "In 2019, the last time tickets went on sale, about 2.4 million people tried to get tickets for the event, which has a capacity of 210,000 including staff and volunteers." 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/nov/06/glastonbury-tickets-take-over-an-hour-to-sell-after-technical-problem#:~:text=In 2019%2C the last time,210%2C000 including staff and volunteers.

The only thing with that number is we have no idea how many of that 2.4mil are active registrations, in that they belong to people who are still trying to get tickets. There will surely still be some (a lot?) from people who haven't even tried in years. Plus there will be some with more than 1 registration etc. 

1 minute ago, Nestacres said:

Assuming everyine who tried is actually registered, The Guardian articile for yesetrdays sale said "In 2019, the last time tickets went on sale, about 2.4 million people tried to get tickets for the event, which has a capacity of 210,000 including staff and volunteers." 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/nov/06/glastonbury-tickets-take-over-an-hour-to-sell-after-technical-problem#:~:text=In 2019%2C the last time,210%2C000 including staff and volunteers.

They’d never know ? In my house I had 5 different IPs … 2.4 million trying doesn’t mean the number of registrations they are different 

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

The only thing with that number is we have no idea how many of that 2.4mil are active registrations, in that they belong to people who are still trying to get tickets. There will surely still be some (a lot?) from people who haven't even tried in years. Plus there will be some with more than 1 registration etc. 

I think you have to re register every 5 years? I agree no one will ever know how many individuals that 2.4m actually represents - maybe it is nearer 1m but then if people stoped using several IP addresses/VPNs etc to subvert the system it might work better with less traffic...

I wouldn't be opposed to a ticketmaster style queue system. Essentially retains the ability to have more devices = more chances, but would be less stressful if everyone is randomly allocated a place in the queue to wait for the booking page rather than the refresh-athon, at least you'd know straight away if you had a chance or not. 

Here's a way better solution. 

Everyone is given 500 frozen peas, you have to throw them through a spinning bicycle wheel powered by chris hoy, if one gets through, you're have to pick up 80 random numbers and letters from a bucket arrange them into 6 rows, then throw 20 more peas through a slower wheel powered by your gran. If you get through, you pick one of 4 doors, get the right one and the tickets are yours.

Oh, wait, this is the current system. 

Edited by hfuhruhurr
  • Upvote 3

A queue system is by all means possible, technically. But it wouldn’t be cheap. Imagine an extra £10-£15 on the ticket price to implement it? GF already have a bespoke ticket process at See. It’s not perfect but as fair as they can make it. 
The random card failures this time may not be See’s fault. Over 100k people managed to book tickets after all.

10 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Here's a way better solution. 

Everyone is given 500 frozen peas, you have to throw them through a spinning bicycle wheel powered by chris hoy, if one gets through, you're have to pick up 80 random numbers and letters from a bucket arrange them into 6 rows, then throw 20 more peas through a slower wheel powered by your gran. If you get through, you pick one of 4 doors, get the right one and the tickets are yours.

Oh, wait, this is the current system. 

😂😂 the sounds quite fun!

14 minutes ago, BFisherr said:

I wouldn't be opposed to a ticketmaster style queue system. Essentially retains the ability to have more devices = more chances, but would be less stressful if everyone is randomly allocated a place in the queue to wait for the booking page rather than the refresh-athon, at least you'd know straight away if you had a chance or not. 

Currently it's set up so you demonstrate your desire to go by putting up with the stress involved. It's a feature not a bug.

6 minutes ago, timeforheroes said:

It favours a certain demographic, of which I admit I am in. But that doesn't mean I want it more cos I can call upon more people to try.

But almost everyone can ask others to try for them, if people don’t then they they aren’t using all available advantages so clearly don’t want to go that much.

32 minutes ago, BFisherr said:

It seems a recurring theme with these ideas is that people are very lazy and just want to know ‘straight away’ rather than actually try for 30 minutes/ an hour etc.

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

But who is ? The only real alternative is ticket master isn’t it ? 

See a lot of people saying this but Ticketmaster is on a whole other level of bad. Got kicked out of Ricky Gervais tickets the other week 3 times after getting through their 'queue'. And demand for that show was a lot less than Sunday's tickets.

I think it's the same people who want a ballot, people without tickets, not really thinking it through that no matter what website or ticket platform is introduced supply will always be outstripped by demand and there would still be people without tickets.

2 minutes ago, D-Low said:

See a lot of people saying this but Ticketmaster is on a whole other level of bad. Got kicked out of Ricky Gervais tickets the other week 3 times after getting through their 'queue'. And demand for that show was a lot less than Sunday's tickets.

I think it's the same people who want a ballot, people without tickets, not really thinking it through that no matter what website or ticket platform is introduced supply will always be outstripped by demand and there would still be people without tickets.

Yeah I was saying that … I wasn’t saying they were any better 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Glasto96 said:

Just keep refreshing, all there is to it 🤷🏼‍♂️

That's what I have always read. A couple of recent years where I failed to get tickets I did exactly that. Numerous devices, a fair few tabs open and constantly refreshing. Yesterday almost as an afterthought I thought I would give it a try, expecting to not even get a sniff. One device and just two tabs open. Got into the holding queue at 09:05 and simply let it refresh itself every 20 seconds whilst enjoying a coffee, watching the screen countdown to 20. By 09:20 I had purchased 2 tickets. Also as I went to shut everything down I noticed the 2nd tab I had open was showing the booking screen as well. So got through twice in 20 minutes and never manually refreshed once. 

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

My gut says around 600,000 active unique registrations chasing around 150,000 tickets. Giving odds of 1:4. 

No way is 4% of uk population actively trying for tickets on T day. Got to be a lot of old and duplicate registrations, think I have 3-4 in my name. 2.4m just makes more impressive sounding headline. 

Edited by I am Jon

Please never Ticketmaster. I always end up at the back of Ticketmaster queues. If an event has 6k cap, I'll be 9,000th in line. Not sure if it's luck, but popular events held by Ticketmaster are a write off for me. (yet I still try)

I do like the suggestion of the main sale reducing groups tickets to 3 or 4 (hell I'd even agree to 2 tickets per transaction). I suppose that wouldn't stop the huge syndicates/groups much. But should slow things down & make things somewhat the fairest they could be. 

Just not sure how to feel when it's just you +1 trying, failing & then you read about someone with a group of 72 all getting a ticket. Feels like a huge advantage to people with lots of friends 😂 

Probably not a very popular opinion but I often think how it would be if they binned off the £50 deposit and making tickets full price in first release (still with the option to cancel if needed later on before resale). I know it would certainly ease up some demand and put a lot of people off.

I know a few groups who only bought a ticket for the sake of it and don’t have much Intention of going but the deposit scheme is what lures them in. 

Edited by D-Low
  • Upvote 1