Tickets , Tips and Tricks

Crazyfool01

1 minute ago, Charm said:

Can someone please remind me how many booking pages there are to click through as I’m trying to write up some info for my newbies and my mind has gone blank.

Charm x

Not much use to you as I've only done one main sale before, but I don't suppose you'd be willing to share tour newbie guide once finished would you? ? 

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

I've been wondering about the benefit of incognito mode. At some point during the unsuccessful bit of trying to get a ticket, I become paranoid that my browser is running off a cache or isn't connecting in a fresh way to the See Tickets servers. It's almost certainly in my head, but would using a private window eliminate any risk of this?

I've been in the position where the holding page isn't loading, I've then closed that browser, opened up another and hey, it's there. Issue with incognito is that you're not logged in, so I've swapped from Chrome/FF/Edge. CTRL-F5 with dev tools open also flushes your local version.

56 minutes ago, Charm said:

Can someone please remind me how many booking pages there are to click through as I’m trying to write up some info for my newbies and my mind has gone blank.

Charm x

Off the top of my head it's 1) Reg nos & postcodes; 2) Ticket types, insurance, car parking etc; 3) Payment details. Though that doesn't sound like enough. What am I missing?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

stay off the tabs .. have you not been told they are bad for you :) 

I normally do, but I panicked. I was in a bad way. I was hoping one of the tabs, would get back on to the page, so I could get back to f5ing. I managed to do it. I got to the page where you put in where you want to go. There was one for Bristol, then it got stolen by someone else and that was it, they were sold out, it was over. 

4 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Off the top of my head it's 1) Reg nos & postcodes; 2) Ticket types, insurance, car parking etc; 3) Payment details. Though that doesn't sound like enough. What am I missing?

The panic, the swearing, the sweating, the shaking, the 150+ bpm heartrate and so on...

;)

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

The panic, the swearing, the sweating, the shaking, the 150+ bpm heartrate and so on...

;)

Can we all please have our FitBit (or whatever heartrate monitor you use) data uploaded after the ticket sale? I'd find that as interesting as the amount of steps we do while at the Festival ?

1 hour ago, uscore said:

if you get a booking page but hit f5, do you lose the booking page or is held for you somehow?

If you reach the Enter Registrations page then hit F5, you stay on the Enter Registrations page (unless you let it time out, but why would you do that?!)

1 hour ago, stt11 said:

I normally do, but I panicked. I was in a bad way. I was hoping one of the tabs, would get back on to the page, so I could get back to f5ing. I managed to do it. I got to the page where you put in where you want to go. There was one for Bristol, then it got stolen by someone else and that was it, they were sold out, it was over. 

I was thinking of some different tabs ... but these ones are also bad for your health if they fail when ticket buying 

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Yeah, that's right. Process from getting the booking page:

1) Booking Form: Enter registration numbers and postcodes into booking form. Click "Submit".

2) Confirm Names & Addresses:  Confirm that you wish to buy tickets for the people whose registration details you entered. Click "Buy".

3) Payment: Enter card details and Click "Pay".

4) Order Confirmation!! Take a screen shot of this....ALWAYS.

Once you have the booking form page, DO NOT PRESS F5. Click the "back" button and re-submit the form.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

That sounds about right, thanks lovely, much appreciated.  

Charm x

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Am I right in that you should also have all the details needed somewhere else on your computer, so that you can just click and paste them in, to speed up the inputting time? I only mention it, because I don't think it's been mentioned. Could be the make or break on some transactions.

yep ... it helps if you get the ticket shakes definitely .... some do it on spreadsheets and copy and paste across ... it is also possible to save shortcodes so instead of typing the full details you can just type r 1 in the box and registration 1 will come up ... same with postcodes and bank card details too ... helps massively but takes a bit of pre doing ... and it will copy across to other devices on an apple device so you only need to do it once 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

yep ... it helps if you get the ticket shakes definitely .... some do it on spreadsheets and copy and paste across ... it is also possible to save shortcodes so instead of typing the full details you can just type r 1 in the box and registration 1 will come up ... same with postcodes and bank card details too ... helps massively but takes a bit of pre doing ... and it will copy across to other devices on an apple device so you only need to do it once 

I have to have a word document open to do it, as the rest of what you say, is beyond me! Thanks for confirming though. 

I think I post every year about some of the *potential* tech issues/obstacles - this is based on who I've worked for in the internet industry (and I work in Security, not web design).

SeeTickets will use a number of tech solutions to prevent 'attacks'. Basically mechanisms designed to prevent the site crashing (though they've failed many a time on that!). They need to find ways to allow proper buyers who are F5'ing like mad, but not letting bots or automated apps overload their servers.

If everybody used Refreshinator, there's barely a site on the planet that could cope with a million people doing that level of refreshing. Even if it's built with the best resilience. So my advice would be, don't use it. I can't confirm that they WON'T block your IP address (if they use a DDoS protection product or Web Application Firewall (very likely), which will be a third party app, it might judge it to be attack traffic and block). You do need to be mindful of that. It's not about how many times you can refresh in a given minute etc. I think it's already been mentioned on here that around 60 refreshes a minute has the potential to prevent you progressing).

VPNs won't get you any more joy than normal, other than if you have a number of you in your household trying, it's not the worst idea to split the traffic up across IP address ranges by using VPNs.

Annoyingly, See Tickets still don't seem to fully separate their booking flow from the main landing page servers. So even getting to payment pages can result in crashes. If the page hangs or you get an error message DON'T REFRESH. Click back and try and click through again. You'll have a cached page and won't get chucked back to the start. If you don't think payment has been taken, try the same thing - it should know that a purchase has or hasn't taken place.

One year, See made a screw up and had all their traffic going via one server, not load balanced across two. Which meant you could manually alter your settings and get onto the second one which had almost nobody on it. They're unlikely to make that mistake again! Setting yourself up to only point at one server this year will actually half your chances, not increase them.

There really aren't many tricks. Refresh at a steady rate, get your friends to try to increase chances, pool up with others, then just pray like f**k, if praying is your thing. While See's tech is still not quite Netflix, they've got a lot better and if 'cheating' were possible, trust me, we techies would be all over it and not posting it here, haha!

• Upvote 7