Football 19/20

thetime

36 minutes ago, eastynh said:

If Mendy is not offended by the tweet then why does anyone else have a right to be offended?

History? Context? There does not need to be an intention for it to be racist. Just because Mendy wasn't offended or John Barnes says it wasn't offensive - so what?  When something is put into the public domain, surely the public have a right respond? Many of us would be fired from our jobs if we had published the same thing online in reference to a colleague.

41 minutes ago, eastynh said:

People think they have a right to get offended by everything and people make a living out of getting offended.

But you don't have the right to speak for those people. You can't tell people 'you have no right to be offended' because the view of Mendy, Silva, Pep etc is not the view of many other people. Just my thoughts.

I'm just completely baffled by the irresponsibility and ignorance of B Silva. Yes, I'm sure he's not racist, I'm sure he's a decent guy but common, with so many twitter followers where was the 'should I post this tweet out?' filter in his brain? Can you blame the football bubble his mind must live in? I don't think people are overracting to it, I don't buy the whole snowflake 'you can't say anything anymore' sentiments. There's a tonne of people that would find this inappropriate, really football and social media is just a terrible mix. If you get paid $$$$ and you want to do a bit of social media get a professional social media company to advise your tweets and keep it strictly professional. You can tell straight away the footballers that have a decent team behind them.

Fans will always support there own players, no matter if its racism or violence. That's more interesting than anything, they could rob there grannies and fans will justify it.

For example Suarez, Silva, Cantona etc etc.

Edited by thetime

22 hours ago, thetime said:

Fans will always support there own players, no matter if its racism or violence. That's more interesting than anything, they could rob there grannies and fans will justify it.

Fair point and I think it also works like that in reverse eg we lost our manager last week. A hero one day, apparently a rat the next.

We’re a fickle bunch the footy fans.

On 10/4/2019 at 1:31 PM, thetime said:

I have not supported Silva, I thought what a plonker.

He needs educating though, not banning.

What do people think of Mendys tweet below?

Screenshot_20191004-124143_Chrome.jpg

klopp's liverpool are a special side. yesterday just another example of pinching a result. i love how the team is a real mix of big money players, younger ones and seasoned gents like milner and henderson. and they are clearly the best team in Europe right now, considering they only lost the league by a point and were UCL winners.

Just a question of how long they can keep it up, if pep leaves city there could be difficulty for them. Chelsea are now probably the next team who look like challenging for a title in a couple of seasons time

3 hours ago, rock the clock said:

klopp's liverpool are a special side. yesterday just another example of pinching a result. i love how the team is a real mix of big money players, younger ones and seasoned gents like milner and henderson. and they are clearly the best team in Europe right now, considering they only lost the league by a point and were UCL winners.

Just a question of how long they can keep it up, if pep leaves city there could be difficulty for them. Chelsea are now probably the next team who look like challenging for a title in a couple of seasons time

I would argue losing the league by one point and winning the champions league does not make a team clearly the best in Europe.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

When your in poor form an easy game like Man U is just what you need. Even Bruce can beat Man U these days!

I can't believe he's got to 400 games as manager. First points against them! Think at the 22nd attempt? Ridiculous, still very funny. 

I'm still not confident we start up mind, only starting to believe we might get closer instead of just sinking. 

On 9/2/2019 at 12:21 PM, Gnomicide said:

Nice to already be 7 points clear on Spurs, Chelsea and United after only 4 games. Sort of expected it with Utd but thought the other two would be closer. Now for 12 days of wondering who'll come back injured from the international games.

On 9/2/2019 at 12:29 PM, eFestivals said:

Spurs have had a tough opening run of games - no one really expected them to have many points right now.

I reckon you need about 8 games before you can get a real impression of how teams are going, so they've had a bit of a spread of tougher & easier matches.

So... after 8 games it's 13 on Spurs, 10 on Chelsea and FIFTEEN on Utd. Plus more importantly 8 on City. And Everton are in the relegation zone. Nice but still a very, very long way to go.

On 9/2/2019 at 12:38 PM, Gnomicide said:

Fair point but I thought they'd easily beat Newcastle. Just had a look and they've got Palace, Leicester, Southampton & Brighton next. 9 points from that?

6 points from those 4. Coupled with the Bayern result, strange times at Spurs.

City losing Laporte has been huge. For us it's about getting as much of a points gaps as possible whilst City are without key players as you can guarantee they won't be dropping (m)any points when they're back to full strength and chasing us.

Edited by DareToDibble