Football 19/20

thetime

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Man u v arsenal was the biggest game of my teenage years, it now seems insignificant.

It's been a fixture insignificant outside the clubs for a few years. That's quite apparent by how nostalgic sky sports was over egging it all.

9 hours ago, The Nal said:

Utd are 12 points behind Liverpool after 7 games. Won 2 of the last 12 league games. 6 of the next 7 games are away, the only game game is against Liverpool. 

Great bantz.

It’s still a fixture full of dread for both sets of fans regardless of gap. The fear of loosing it and being on the receiving end of bragging rights fuels the dread.... probably even more so when ur team is “expected” to win it... 

I recall chatting with Utd friends back when Utd utterly dominated leagues and Liverpool were bang average if not worse and still the fear of loosing to Liverpool would erode any confidence they should have had considering how Utd played.... I also recall a lot of shite boring encounters with very little to talk about...  

34 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Stoke's Nathan Jones has got to be out of the door after losing at home to Huddersfield. They have a stacked squad - Butland, Allen, Vokes, McClean, Hogan, Clucas. Must be high wages in that squad too. A relegation to L1 could be really damaging. 

I have little knowledge of Stoke’s current situation but if I had to guess, i’d go with those players being more of a problem than Nathan Jones is. 

10 hours ago, jyoung said:

Spurs eh ???

There is speculation on the Spurs boards about why Vertonghen had a black eye vs Newcastle earlier this year suggesting its blown apart team morale

Just now, lost said:

There is speculation on the Spurs boards about why Vertonghen had a black eye vs Newcastle earlier this year suggesting its blown apart team morale

Speculation indeed. I try not to invest too much attention in those sorts of rumours.

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Speculation indeed. I try not to invest too much attention in those sorts of rumours.

Me too which is why i didn't repeat it. It could be something more simple like say Poch to Utd is unsettling the team.

Edited by lost

Really enjoying the start to the season under Lamps. It's been a bit topsy turvy but I feel like the club is pulling in the right direction. Defending set pieces is our one huge downfall at the moment but I think once we sort that out we'll be alright. Tomori has been impressive at the back and hopefully we can get Rudiger fit and they can form a nice partnership. A few positions could do with strengthening but on the whole I think we've got a good team. 

On 10/2/2019 at 4:49 PM, thetime said:

Tshirts?

Its a difficult one this. My own immediate reaction when I seen the tweet was 'what a plonker'. Now Mendy has said he is not bothered by the tweet, found it funny and has defended Silva. If Mendy is not offended by the tweet then why does anyone else have a right to be offended? 

Is there a sense of faux moral outrage coming from the professionally offended? Or is there a more sinister side to Bernardo Silva?

Now from the outside looking in, I don't think Bernardo is racist, it was supposed to be a bit of joviality between friends that has gone badly wrong. The media hoo haa around it all has been disgusting though. Bernardo should really have kept the joke in between friends, in a private whatsapp group. Thats a sad state of affairs really but thats the way the world works now.People think they have a right to get offended by everything and people make a living out of getting offended.

What happens from here will be interesting. Now I remember the Robertsons Jam Golliwog. They are thankfully a thing of the past and those of us who remember them would have raised an eyebrow when Bernardo posted his tweet. The media and opposition fans will be screaming for Bernardo to be banned, but a ban benefits no one in the fight against racism. A ban would not really impact City as there is enough quality to replace him for a couple of games, it might even be beneficial for someone like Foden. 

The kick it out campaign are the ones screaming loudest at the minute. Let Bernardo spend a few days with them. Let them highlight why his tweet was ill educated and let them educate him about why they perceive it was wrong. Then let him speak to the media about experience. That will have more of an impact in the fight against racism than any 3 match ban will have. Plus it would be a sobering experience for Bernardo and he may realise that his actions were inappropriate.  It can only make him a better a person. A ban would just make him better on his x-box and would be utterly pointless.

Seeing as the FA are useless, they will bow down to the idiots in the media and give him a ban.