Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

5 hours ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

What happened?

Im sure there's a lot more context that I don't know.

Basically, they were coming to the end of a huuugee year of touring and I have found Barcelona crowds to be a bit weird at rock/punk shows. We don't get a lot of these kinds of acts coming through so people aren't too used to the friendly/inclusive atmosphere that should be there so they go in with an animalistic approach. 

Basically, the crowd were harassing Joe from the beginning and one guy in particular was throwing his shoe at Joe whenever he wasn't looking. 

There was other stuff too but after a while, Joe tried to jump in the crowd and fight this guy. The rest of the band held him back but Joe told the guy to meet him outside after. They rushed through the the last few songs and halfway through Rottweiler, Joe took his top off and ran off stage to find the guy.

Obviously really shitty what the crowd did but for a band that preaches peace and love it definitely left a sour taste in the mouths of me and my friends.

Lots of fans spoke about it in the Idles Facebook fan page but the band deleted any post that mentioned it to try move on from it.

3 hours ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

The Strokes just played an arena show for NYE at Barclays Center, I wouldn't necessarily expect them back in NYC so soon.

Also, GovBall used to be serious competition for Primavera back when they still booked names like Bjork. But not so much anymore.

All of this. Strokes just performed an arena show, won't be much appeal for them to headline Gov Ball now. Agreed booking style has shifted to a younger demographic. We only shared 4 artists with them last year.

From the Gov Ball Reddit it sounds like Tame and Vampire Weekend are headlining Gov Ball with another big hip hop artist. They also likely have YBN Cordae, DAVE, Empire of the Sun, Local Natives and Foals. Will be interesting to see what shakes up. 

3 minutes ago, primaveralolz said:

All of this. Strokes just performed an arena show, won't be much appeal for them to headline Gov Ball now. Agreed booking style has shifted to a younger demographic. We only shared 4 artists with them last year.

From the Gov Ball Reddit it sounds like Tame and Vampire Weekend are headlining Gov Ball with another big hip hop artist. They also likely have YBN Cordae, DAVE, Empire of the Sun, Local Natives and Foals. Will be interesting to see what shakes up. 

We only shared 4 artists with them in large part as it's the same weekend and the other side of the world!

6 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

Literally every post I read from you says that something was shit at club2club festival 😁

Thats pure bullshit and Romy was pure nonsense,  they represent her as subheadliner for that day, except her I dont remember what was also shit, it was actually very good festival with surprisingly many good acts for small festival...I would be more then happy if I find same percentage of interesting acts on Primavera 

6 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Some of the GovBall names are allegedly leaked: https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/01/governors-ball-2020-lineup-leak/

That's a pretty weak accouncemrnt, for my personal taste, which is good news for Primavera Sound.

There's nothing on there that I'm upset to miss out on really. Especially as Solange was never going to play two consecutive years at Primavera. 

9 hours ago, Gnarler said:

Basically, they were coming to the end of a huuugee year of touring and I have found Barcelona crowds to be a bit weird at rock/punk shows. We don't get a lot of these kinds of acts coming through so people aren't too used to the friendly/inclusive atmosphere that should be there so they go in with an animalistic approach. 

Basically, the crowd were harassing Joe from the beginning and one guy in particular was throwing his shoe at Joe whenever he wasn't looking. 

There was other stuff too but after a while, Joe tried to jump in the crowd and fight this guy. The rest of the band held him back but Joe told the guy to meet him outside after. They rushed through the the last few songs and halfway through Rottweiler, Joe took his top off and ran off stage to find the guy.

Obviously really shitty what the crowd did but for a band that preaches peace and love it definitely left a sour taste in the mouths of me and my friends.

Lots of fans spoke about it in the Idles Facebook fan page but the band deleted any post that mentioned it to try move on from it.

If I was in the crowd I’d probably have joined Joe. It’s just weird the crowd didn’t police that guy themselves. I actually know for a fact that idles was planning a tour around the Primavera time (as I know from a booker they were looking to book a show near the end of May)...

1 hour ago, Rhak said:

If I was in the crowd I’d probably have joined Joe. It’s just weird the crowd didn’t police that guy themselves. I actually know for a fact that idles was planning a tour around the Primavera time (as I know from a booker they were looking to book a show near the end of May)...

That's interesting they were hoping to book a tour around May.

Yeah the guy in the crowd for kicked out the second Joe kicked off. Just a shame because the people down the front were there to cause trouble. I definitely need to see them again with a better crowd.

11 hours ago, Gnarler said:

how does one throw a shoe multiple times?

surely once you throw it, it's gone? 😕

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

how does one throw a shoe multiple times?

surely once you throw it, it's gone? 😕

Basically, Joe was trying to be nice and kept giving it back. I was standing a bit further away so couldn't see it all but I definitely saw Joe hand the shoe back and have a word a couple times. Or it could have been there were multiple shoe throwers. 

Band must have been exhausted! It was a few days before the Paris Bataclan show so you can get a rough idea of how exhausted they were from watching that live show. But yeah, the crowd was definitely the guilty party here.

11 hours ago, Gnarler said:

Throwing your shoe at a performer (or any human) is fucking out of order and I wouldn’t blame the victim here for however he chose to react, irrespective of peace and love vibes.

I’ve never been to a gig where a ‘‘crowd” was harassing a performer unreasonably. I’m sure it was just a couple of bad eggs, as always.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Throwing your shoe at a performer (or any human) is fucking out of order and I wouldn’t blame the victim here for however he chose to react, irrespective of peace and love vibes.

I’ve never been to a gig where a ‘‘crowd” was harassing a performer unreasonably. I’m sure it was just a couple of bad eggs, as always.

Yep totally agree, band had the right to react however they wanted. Me and my friends had just never seen a band take the confrontation off stage with them to the point that they left the stage early so they could go fight some shitty teenager. It was just a bit of a shock.

I was super embarrassed to live in Barcelona after that concert. Most out of line I've ever seen a crowd be.

21 minutes ago, Gnarler said:

Yep totally agree, band had the right to react however they wanted. Me and my friends had just never seen a band take the confrontation off stage with them to the point that they left the stage early so they could go fight some shitty teenager. It was just a bit of a shock.

I was super embarrassed to live in Barcelona after that concert. Most out of line I've ever seen a crowd be.

Yeah maybe he overreacted slightly but it’s an unprovoked attack. Throwing beer at someone is obnoxious but throwing a shoe is assault.