Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

True, but I wonder what female headliners they could have. Struggling to think of many and the obvious ones e.g. Swift, Olsen, Eilish are at Mad Cool.

Reckon we could see the return of PJ Harvey? It's been a few years now

Can easily see Patti Smith and Yeah Yeah Yeahs for the New Normal thing

1 hour ago, diogozsz said:

Can easily see Patti Smith and Yeah Yeah Yeahs for the New Normal thing

It does seem like it's going to be very light on female headliners this year. One or two. But if they can get the overall balance to 50/50, it would be a bit hard to be overly critical as no other big festivals are achieving this.

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It does seem like it's going to be very light on female headliners this year. One or two. But if they can get the overall balance to 50/50, it would be a bit hard to be overly critical as no other big festivals are achieving this.

pitchfork already criticised Coachella for having no female headliner, I think the focus on primavera will be higher since they talked about it so much.

Right now we know of Lena and you can maybe say Massive Attack (Elizabeth Fraser toured with them last year), I think they'll need one more.

36 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

pitchfork already criticised Coachella for having no female headliner, I think the focus on primavera will be higher since they talked about it so much.

Right now we know of Lena and you can maybe say Massive Attack (Elizabeth Fraser toured with them last year), I think they'll need one more.

You definitely can't say Massive Attack, who as a band have always been comprised of men. Having a woman (even one as great as EF) sing on a couple of songs doesn't count.

My dream pick would be Fiona Apple who seems to be vaguely active.

I can see them bumping up Kacey Musgraves to a headliner. She will be one day soon anyway.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

You definitely can't say Massive Attack, who as a band have always been comprised of men. Having a woman (even one as great as EF) sing on a couple of songs doesn't count.

My dream pick would be Fiona Apple who seems to be vaguely active.

I can see them bumping up Kacey Musgraves to a headliner. She will be one day soon anyway.

yes, Massive attack is a bit of a stretch..

Don't see Kacey Musgraves as headliner. don't remember where, but some other festival in Europe placed her on third row. She's not that big outside of the US.

Dare we dream of St. Vincent? Not based on anything but my desire to see her, but she is a woman :) 

4 hours ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

There are also rumors of Back.

But it looks too optimistic. It's missing the crappy pop act appealing to the younger croud none of us want to see there (Bad Bunny?).

And also not female enough to fit the new normal

I also think that the budget would be too high for Primavera Standards. I mean, how much is Frank Ocean? At least as a couple of the last year headliners together (let's say Erykah Badu + Janelle Monae) 

1 minute ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

yes, Massive attack is a bit of a stretch..

Don't see Kacey Musgraves as headliner. don't remember where, but some other festival in Europe placed her on third row. She's not that big outside of the US.

Dare we dream of St. Vincent? Not based on anything but my desire to see her, but she is a woman :) 

Yeah you're right, she's not that big outside of the US but it wouldn't be that ridiculous as she's on the fringe of headliner status and her star is only getting brighter with a new album out this year presumably.

Headliners appear to be Tyler, Frank Ocean, Lana del Rey, Travis Scott, The National, Bad Bunny, Massive Attack, Beck, Pavement and Thom Yorke. Could do with a classic oldie like Iggy Pop and at least one more female.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Yeah you're right, she's not that big outside of the US but it wouldn't be that ridiculous as she's on the fringe of headliner status and her star is only getting brighter with a new album out this year presumably.

Headliners appear to be Tyler, Frank Ocean, Lana del Rey, Travis Scott, The National, Bad Bunny, Massive Attack, Beck, Pavement and Thom Yorke. Could do with a classic oldie like Iggy Pop and at least one more female.

I don't see Travis Scott playing Primavera, honestly. 

23 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I saw them last year and I'm not desperate to see them again but look on the bright side: one less clash to worry about 😅

My worry is that most of the headliners will be acts I've seen, or hip hop artists. I mean I'm gonna try again to get into Tyler and Frank but in the past they haven't done much for me =\

Aha yes, that's true.

I'm the same with Tyler but haven't tried to get into him for a while so will give it another go.

48 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yeah, I agree with this. Would personally love it to happen too!

Just to go back on the line up date front, I'm reckoning it's gonna be sooner rather than later despite what I said before. I've noticed a huge bump in Primavera sponsored ads on social media regarding the line up, I personally can't see them hyping something for two weeks and paying for these ads, so I reckon it'll be before the 20th.

(Hopefully)

4 minutes ago, James96 said:

Just to go back on the line up date front, I'm reckoning it's gonna be sooner rather than later despite what I said before. I've noticed a huge bump in Primavera sponsored ads on social media regarding the line up, I personally can't see them hyping something for two weeks and paying for these ads, so I reckon it'll be before the 20th.

(Hopefully)

I'm with you. I've changed my mind and now think it will be out on the 9th.

5 minutes ago, Martin_89 said:

Can Grimes be big enough now for a headline spot at Primavera? She hasen't announced any dates yet, so maybe she has some kind of exclusivity to Primavera, and her new album is coming now in February. 

I can see Grimes taking Robyn's spot but I don't think she'd headline. 

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Yes, just about I'd think. Is surely about to tour.

Guess it all depends on how you define 'headline'.

Last year they had three top line names per day so I imagine she could just about squeeze into one of these chosen 9 and more comfortably if they do four top line names per day. 

Thought I’d throw my headliner vibes into the ring...

No one has mentioned FKA Twigs for one of the main stage slots. I can see her recent theatrical performance being a festival exclusive.

Reminds me a bit of the time Anthony and the Johnsons performed with the Catalan orchestra.

definitely has the kudos to be on the top with the primavera crowd, fits the new normal and has had a new record out recently (and performing at Coachella).

For other women that could headline, I think there could be a few hip-hop names that would fit the bill

Just now, boaboaboa said:

Thought I’d throw my headliner vibes into the ring...

No one has mentioned FKA Twigs for one of the main stage slots. I can see her recent theatrical performance being a festival exclusive.

Reminds me a bit of the time Anthony and the Johnsons performed with the Catalan orchestra.

definitely has the kudos to be on the top with the primavera crowd, fits the new normal and has had a new record out recently (and performing at Coachella).

For other women that could headline, I think there could be a few hip-hop names that would fit the bill

FKA played in 2019. Very unlikely to appear again.