Slam Dunk Festival 2020

Dukey

7 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

Nothing to base this on, but Neck Deep could be an option for a secret set, they have quite the history with Slam Dunk, so could crop up if free.

That's my #1 choice at the moment for the secret set.
They'd headline whatever stage they'd play and started and ended the peace and the panic tour at Slam Dunk.
So seems very likely, no sure how the clue I was given connects with them though aha.

On 3/3/2020 at 8:58 AM, Jericode said:

Creeper surely make the most sense. Neck Deep already played it last year, why bother doing a secret set?

18 hours ago, justanothername said:

Can see it being Neck Deep and using it to start off the tour for the new album cycle

This is my main reason for thinking it's Neck Deep.
Personally don't think as good as they are Creeper are big enough and it probably wouldn't warrant a secret set.

Edited by jcarb

With it being Busted last year, I really can't see it being a band who would play already and are quite big like Neck Deep or Creeper. They both have big ticket selling power so wouldn't be 'secret'. Its gotta be someone thats a fun 'extra' like Busted. 

Saying that, and totally contradicting my previous statement...

Hayley Williams is doing a European tour for ger solo stuff the week before SD. Surely she becomes a contender now. 

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Hayley Williams is a shout now after those dates. 

Yup I said this, her Great Escape date is positioned right the week before Slam Dunk and given her previous roots of Slam Dunks eque gigs I won't be shocked at all, it's just a shame her solo material is very poor.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Yup I said this, her Great Escape date is positioned right the week before Slam Dunk and given her previous roots of Slam Dunks eque gigs I won't be shocked at all, it's just a shame her solo material is very poor.

I’m really into it, I think it’s great. Then again, I also think that Billie Eilish is phenomenal so that plays a part for sure. 

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

As soon as I saw those dates I thought she's got to be on the list for that slot now.
Plus Paramore have played the festival way back so I guess they have some form of relationship.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:05 PM, Andre91 said:

I’m really into it, I think it’s great. Then again, I also think that Billie Eilish is phenomenal so that plays a part for sure. 

I think at what she does yes but I'm not a fan really bar the two main one's 

23 hours ago, jcarb said:

As soon as I saw those dates I thought she's got to be on the list for that slot now.
Plus Paramore have played the festival way back so I guess they have some form of relationship.

Exactly. It works in her favour hugely to do a small gig as well to start her solo career....people love a secret gig.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:29 AM, justanothername said:

I would really be happy with Hayley Williams and I think her solo material is great. Got a load of 00s Radiohead vibes to it but not sure how that would go down at Slam Dunk. I can also imagine people turning up expecting to hear some Paramore songs which I'm guess wont happen

If it's got Radiohead vibes that indicates why it's not for me, I think she'll include a couple of Paramore songs....don't fo what other lead singers have done and drop your band material.

13 hours ago, thewayiam said:

If it's got Radiohead vibes that indicates why it's not for me, I think she'll include a couple of Paramore songs....don't fo what other lead singers have done and drop your band material.

I saw the guy from Yellowcard last year at SD do his accoustic set and loved his approach.  Basically said, I have some solo stuff which is quite different to YC, but I know you guys want to hear the YC songs, so that's what I'll play, but please check out my other stuff online.  

On 3/8/2020 at 7:38 PM, thewayiam said:

Hayley is very very of the notion that Paramore is a band. It would be really shocking to me if she played anything Paramore without Taylor and Zac.

As Slam Dunk is one of the first festivals in the calendar, some potentially relevant news later as a government announcement is expected today to announce new COVID-19 measures as we transition into the "delay" phase of plan - currently being in  the "contain" phase. So far rhetoric from the UK seems less keen to enact strict measures against large public gatherings (as seen adopted in Italy, and increasingly Germany and France), on the lines of it not being backed by the science  - which provides hope festivals might be allowed to continue.... Interesting to see if the UK continues this approach while other parts of Europe enter more 'lockdown' procedures if festivals will still happen as planned as I'm not sure bands will continue to tour if half their proposed route through Europe is cancelled? 

1 hour ago, BlackFoxx said:

As Slam Dunk is one of the first festivals in the calendar, some potentially relevant news later as a government announcement is expected today to announce new COVID-19 measures as we transition into the "delay" phase of plan - currently being in  the "contain" phase. So far rhetoric from the UK seems less keen to enact strict measures against large public gatherings (as seen adopted in Italy, and increasingly Germany and France), on the lines of it not being backed by the science  - which provides hope festivals might be allowed to continue.... Interesting to see if the UK continues this approach while other parts of Europe enter more 'lockdown' procedures if festivals will still happen as planned as I'm not sure bands will continue to tour if half their proposed route through Europe is cancelled? 

the government has said the height of the epidemic in this country is expected to be 2 months away which takes us into may . will probably be a few weeks after till its close to being under control . Id assume large events in may are reasonably likely to be affected and maybe those in june too . Hopefully by july things are back to normal . Can see big acts who are not desperate for the cash just shelving there plans for this summer though .

9 hours ago, Ash92 said:

Hayley is very very of the notion that Paramore is a band. It would be really shocking to me if she played anything Paramore without Taylor and Zac.

So were Oasis, so were The Verve and so were The Smith's. Tell me what the differen is from that and when bands even including Blink 182 play and replace a main singer?, if the actual vocal is there for a solo sit from the lead singer it doesn't  matter.

33 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

So were Oasis, so were The Verve and so were The Smith's. Tell me what the differen is from that and when bands even including Blink 182 play and replace a main singer?, if the actual vocal is there for a solo sit from the lead singer it doesn't  matter.

Paramore haven't broken up, and also possibly Hayley doesn't feel comfortable playing Paramore songs without the rest of the band?

Anyone still holding out hope is kidding themselves. There's no chance this goes ahead. The government have stated that they are not going to support mass gathering events with emergency staff for at least the next 12 weeks. No gig/festival can go ahead without that support :(