New Block 9 Details...

The Red Telephone

3 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

15,000... That’s an awful lot of people. Who the fuck are they gonna book to play there? That cannot be right. Is that not the whole area combined?

looking at the new map, Block9 East is about the size of the West Holts field, which I would guess is easily 15k?

probably looking at about 25k between the two Block9 fields...

Edited by ghostdancer1

9 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I need  Glastonbury to be on for 2 weeks to be able to take all this in. Can it be arranged?

So much this. It's got so big I don't think it can be properly appreciated in just one visit. And then they keep updating things. I didn't get to see a good percentage of the site last time I think. Only got to take a look at Cineramageddon on the "Monday after I'd packed the car return bimble" for instance.

Inevitably I will not recognise one name from the line ups, but as a huge art installation the late night areas are just the dogs bollocks.

2 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

looking at the new map, Block9 East is about the size of the West Holts field, which I would guess is easily 15k?

probably looking at about 25k between the two Block9 fields...

Quite probably the field can fit in 15k+ people easily. Where it becomes more of a question is whether they'd be able to have any sound system(s) capable of adequately catering for that many people much past midnight without ripping through the noise restrictions.

It's one of those things where we don't really know what the various numbers getting quoted are referring to, and so they lack most of the necessary context.

Edited by incident

Depends how you contain the noise I guess. If it’s a big indoor structure then I’d say it can be a lot louder than a totally outdoor stage.

I just hope it eases people traffic because it can be unbearable in the S.E.C and call me a snob but when 70% are there to gawp and not for the tunes it’s annoying for those that are there for the tunes.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Depends how you contain the noise I guess. If it’s a big indoor structure then I’d say it can be a lot louder than a totally outdoor stage.

I just hope it eases people traffic because it can be unbearable in the S.E.C and call me a snob but when 70% are there to gawp and not for the tunes it’s annoying for those that are there for the tunes.

SEC is is much an art installation to “gawp” at, as you put it, as it a place for tunes. 

• Upvote 4

Block 9 East's field's previous incarnation as Glasto Latino was a huge space that was very underutilised.  It was as much a pass-through to the rest of the SEC as it was a destination in its own right.  It makes sense that they give people more of a reason to be there rather than moving straight through it to the other areas.

Edit - though they did move Arcadia out of that field because it used to cause a bottleneck of people trying to get in, so we'll have to wait and see how they manage it this year.

Edited by fatyeti24

1 hour ago, Rubber Soldier said:

SEC is is much an art installation to “gawp” at, as you put it, as it a place for tunes. 

Some parts are for sure but like there’s been times I couldn’t get in venues and people were clearly just buzzing in to tick it off a list or whatever where as this was one of my favourite DJ’s. We’re all equal I don’t have a right to be there more than anyone else. 

7 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

Block 9 East's field's previous incarnation as Glasto Latino was a huge space that was very underutilised.  It was as much a pass-through to the rest of the SEC as it was a destination in its own right.  It makes sense that they give people more of a reason to be there rather than moving straight through it to the other areas.

Edit - though they did move Arcadia out of that field because it used to cause a bottleneck of people trying to get in, so we'll have to wait and see how they manage it this year.

Glasto Latino is now next to West Holt's which makes more sense

10 hours ago, mcshed said:

If it's really 15k capacity it could handle some huge names, but if budget is an issue then it might makes sense to target those already on the farm. Chemical Brothers DJ set anyone?

Carl Cox, Digweed, Orbital, Patrick Topping etc will all be on site..

However many times I read that guardian description/ interview I'm still completely baffled as to what it is their doing. Which I guess makes it even more interesting. 

Is the iicon place in its own area and would the 15k be mainly facing towards this stage or will there be more micro venues within this new area (I mean area taken over from Latino). 

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

However many times I read that guardian description/ interview I'm still completely baffled as to what it is their doing. Which I guess makes it even more interesting. 

Is the iicon place in its own area and would the 15k be mainly facing towards this stage or will there be more micro venues within this new area (I mean area taken over from Latino). 

With them saying they're deconstructing the idea of a live music space, I wouldn't be surprised if there is no big stage as such, and more visual stimulation around the edge and maybe even dotted around the field, making the music itself the star rather than the just the performer.

This would also, in theory, stop any crush point in the field, which could be important as it will be the point of entry for the SE corner.