Your unofficial - official start to the festival

JoeyT

What is it that you class as the moment your festival properly begins?

- Wristband on?

- First drink after tent is up?

- When you first see the ciderbus in all its glory?

- Mik Artistik at 6pm on the Croissant Neuf bandstand?

- The first spontaneous cheer which spreads across the site? (not sure if this has happened in the last couple of years mind)

- Wednesday night sunset as the lights on the paths start to twinkle like stars?

- Fireworks at the stone circle / burning of the dragon?

Anyway, you get my point.

It's Friday, the sun is currently shining & i'm in a cracking mood. Share the love folks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Easy. Tent pitched, first cider cracked, first smoke sparked.

As much as I love the feeling of getting through the gate and seeing everything spread out, I'm fully focused on getting that tent up.

Edited by Quark

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

- Wristband on?

- The first spontaneous cheer which spreads across the site? (not sure if this has happened in the last couple of years mind)

- Wednesday night sunset as the lights on the paths start to twinkle like stars?

It's Friday, the sun is currently shining & i'm in a cracking mood. Share the love folks.

Should also have asked, what's yours ? :)

It is bloody lovely today isn't it? ?

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Easy. Tent pitched, first cider cracked, first smoke sparked.

As much as I love the feeling of getting through the gate and seeing everything spread out, I'm fully focused on getting that tent up.

In previous years I may have agreed with you, but in 2017 I had a rather lovely coach ride down from Sheffield with one of my crew. Maybe the difference was that in previous years I've travelled by myself and met people there....but after having a little coach snooze, I really did feel the Glasto vibe over a couple of cans of cider, chatting to the guys in the seat Infront. So either, first tinny on the road OR possibly first glimpse of the tents over the Somerset horizon do it for me ?

- Wristband on?

I'd say that it was tent pitched and the first can is opened however I even enjoy our 6 hour road trip as it's full of excitement and buzz of the coming days (much better than the slog going home though)

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

This definitely happened in 2017 but it coincided a cloud that covered the sun for about 30 seconds and give everyone a momentary rest from the heat, the whole site erupted. Beautiful.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Should also have asked, what's yours ? :)

Mine is probably Wednesday night sunset as the lights on the paths start to twinkle like stars.

I arrive on the Tuesday and pitch my tent in the campervan fields with friends who take their vans but due to the buildup of excitement and anticipation of being there / getting in to the festival on the Wednesday I find I feel quite anxious until the Wednesday evening.

The mixture of booze and smokes probably helps this but I find it takes a good few hours for my mind to settle after the spike in all of my senses due to being at the festival!

So yeah, that Wednesday evening as the sun is setting where you find yourself trying to decide between putting your jumper on or questioning if you can hold out a bit longer, the lights have started twinkling and i've got a pint of hot n spicy in my hands. 

• Upvote 2

I think for most festivals it's when I close my door at home. The bit of nervous journey to it I mentally place with the festival. Otherwise it's just when you get out of the car/coach and are with the people. First bit of relieve you've made it. But I think I have that with every next step until I'm watching some proper entertainment. Maybe for my strict - slightly autistic - rules I class the begin with entering the gate.

For me, the anticipation and journey is almost as exciting as the actual thing and the arrival.

On that basis, it's leaving the house at stupid o'clock on my way to get the earliest possible coach on the Wednesday morning, rucksack on my back, all other weight off my shoulders...

Bliss.

Ben

• Upvote 1

Tent up and then glass of red wine and pork pie as we survey the scene welcoming new neighbours who are all in a similar state of high anticipation. Then Hobo Jones on Avalon telling us how lucky we all are to be at the world's greatest festival knowing that he is so right.

Spontaneous cheer went up in 2017 though it had good reason. It was after enduring a day of blaring sun with not a cloud in sight and then around 3pm we finally got a small cloud drift past the sun for about five seconds of shade. The whole place went up and then the cloud fucked off and we went back to melting. 

Edited by chatty

Coming on the coach the last few years, it's when the roads start to become familiar, and the first glimpses of the tents amid the rolling hills around the site. 

You're conscious that there's still work to be done and stress to be had with the trekking and finding a tent spot, but the adrenaline and excitement mean that those are overridden.

1 minute ago, chatty said:

Spontaneous cheer went up in 2017 though it wasnt so much spontaneous, it was after enduring a day of blaring sun with not a cloud in sight and then around 3pm we finally got a small cloud drift past the sun for about five seconds of shade. The whole place went up and then the cloud fucked off and we went back to melting. 

Ha, remember that!  I ended up having to make the final internal setup of my tent in just my undercrackers I was sweating so much