2020 headliners

jj200

33 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

how can I be wrong about what they represent to me..? What they are in reality is one thing, the image they portrayed and (for example) the titles of songs was something else.

definitely not what I know of as high energy.

From where I was musically at the time, just being a synth band and very much a pop band was probably enough for them to get fixed in my mind as that plastic thing. If you wanted 'credible' synth that was to be found elsewhere.

Opportunity was an attack on the things you seem to think PSB exemplify. I think you have totally misinterpreted the Pet Shop Boys.

Seems a bit strange how you seem to think an act who were one of the biggest donors to the Labour party and biggest supporters of gay rights, epitomise Thatcherite Britain. They are in reality as far away from Thatcherite Britain as you can get. They went on the Brit Awards dressed as miners, backed up by a Welsh Pit choir, in protest at pit closures. They even did shows in aid of them.

As for credible, I have never been interested in what is considered credible or not. Depeche Mode were never considered credible in this country, now they are considered one of the coolest and most influential bands on the planet. 

I think you have totally missed the point with PSB.

Edit you don't thinkPSB are high NRG? What do you think all those octave basslines, double entendres, arpegios and high NRG producers were about? They could not be anymore high NRG is they had been drinking full fat Lucozade none stop for a month.

Edited by eastynh

6 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Gotta be in the top 10 surely?

Never heard this one before! 

It's good, but not a contender for me.  For me I like a cover to either be completely different, or a significant step up from the original.  This one's got a very similar pacing and rhythm to DM's original so it doesn't feel that different even though the arrangement's obviously pretty different. And the original's better!

Going to start a new thread for this I think :)

EDIT: Still way better than the Marilyn Manson version, obviously.

Edited by Quark

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Never heard this one before! 

It's good, but not a contender for me.  For me I like a cover to either be completely different, or a significant step up from the original.  This one's got a very similar pacing and rhythm to DM's original so it doesn't feel that different even though the arrangement's obviously pretty different. And the original's better!

Going to start a new thread for this I think :)

EDIT: Still way better than the Marilyn Manson version, obviously.

Do your thread and I will add what imo is the greatest cover of all time. 

36 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

how can I be wrong about what they represent to me..? What they are in reality is one thing, the image they portrayed and (for example) the titles of songs was something else.

definitely not what I know of as high energy.

From where I was musically at the time, just being a synth band and very much a pop band was probably enough for them to get fixed in my mind as that plastic thing. If you wanted 'credible' synth that was to be found elsewhere.

Tis strange isn't it that we were more divided into certain camps back then. Today kids have such a great magpie outlook. I remember being into certain music so other music was "rubbish". Must have missed out on some really great stuff, but I quite liked that tribal element as well.

Did go to some great new romantic nights as a few friends were into that but oddly stayed in my tribe.

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

Tis strange isn't it that we were more divided into certain camps back then. Today kids have such a great magpie outlook. I remember being into certain music so other music was "rubbish". Must have missed out on some really great stuff, but I quite liked that tribal element as well.

Did go to some great new romantic nights as a few friends were into that but oddly stayed in my tribe.

Yeah, remember my brother and I were both into Maiden, Metallica, GnR and the like, and a mate from school loaned my a tape of jungle off a local pirate station.  Vividly remember my brother trying to tell me it shouldn't be in the house :lol:

19 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Edit you don't thinkPSB are high NRG? What do you think all those octave basslines, double entendres, arpegios and high NRG producers were about? They could not be anymore high NRG is they had been drinking full fat Lucozade none stop for a month.

put simply, PSB are too slow for high energy, from what I know of high energy.

3 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Was this tribal outlook an early 80's thing? I know a lot of New Order fans would not like the Smiths and vice versa. Yet by the late 80's and early 90's, when I was getting into music, it was all about absorbing as many influences as possible. The tribal aspect had gone. Was the tribal thing a guitar/indie/rock thing? Because house was predominantly faceless producers , you had no one to chuck your hat on so to speak.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

perhaps, but as I've always thought the music dreadful I had no need to know different.

having found out new things has it changed my opinion of them? Nope.

Calling them dreadful is fair enough if they are not your bag. Calling them the epitome of Thatcherite Britain is an insult and a step too far. You need to be corrected on that as nothing could be further from the truth.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Was this tribal outlook an early 80's thing? I know a lot of New Order fans would not like the Smiths and vice versa. Yet by the late 80's and early 90's, when I was getting into music, it was all about absorbing as many influences as possible. The tribal aspect had gone. Was the tribal thing a guitar/indie/rock thing? Because house was predominantly faceless producers , you had no one to chuck your hat on so to speak.

Not all a guitar thing but certainly for some. Not everyone was like it of course had friends with a great cross music collections and interests and as you get older you learn more. But younger I had mates into synth pop who would not like anything else (everyone loved Hawkwind though)

Late 80's and the whole dance/house/rave scene changed the whole thing for lots of people :)

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

You are wrong on this one Neil. Tennant has always been massively left wing. PSB have always been dripping in irony. There is absolutely nothing yuppie about them in any way. 

Please define plastic music for me. I would call PSB music as high nrg, gay, proto disco, electro pop. 

Upvote for ‘Proto disco’