2020 headliners

jj200

20 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

All three to me define contemporary art and I dont think Glastonbury could get a more balanced lineup. That trio would be the biggest yet and believe thats the most likely at the moment. 

75 could always replace Coldplay which I thinks unlikely as I feel Oborne is trying to expose the band any way he can and yes, Foals are big enough but would feel really underwhelming when Coldplay are a call away and are a stadium band that keeps viewers and punters mainly happy. Hopefully we get something soon, to coincide with book release.

Yeah it’s an impressive trio for any festival. We would moan about Coldplay being back on here but on the night they’d probably get the biggest crowd of the weekend.

Their comeback coinciding with Glasto’s 50th can’t be a coincidence. Them being in the frame for June Euro fests only heightens the chances.

I’d prefer Kendrick but then I’d probably be spending three nights at the pyramid. I haven’t seen Macca before and Taylor at Glasto is a dream come true.

Regardless of what some boomer users on this forum say... Paul and Taylor in the same year is incredibly strong. Unless three gigantic acts have fallen into their lap, Coldplay would be a safe bet to balance out the lineup.

The more I think about it, the more I don’t mind them appearing. I also think this forum is a bit of an echo chamber sometimes. To the GP and lots of festival goers who have never been to Glastonbury, booking Coldplay is huge.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The more I think about it, the more I don’t mind them appearing. I also think this forum is a bit of an echo chamber sometimes. To the GP and lots of festival goers who have never been to Glastonbury, booking Coldplay is huge.

Yeah I agree with this. They’re not a particularly exciting booking for us but from Glastonbury’s perspective you’re not going to turn down one of the biggest bands in the world who are willing to play your festival for a pretty cheap fee. As much as we like to moan about Chris Martin appearing everywhere, he just loves the festival like we do. If any of us were in his position we’d probably be trying to play as often as we could too.

I would rather they took a chance on someone else that would be more exciting booking but for the majority of people going Coldplay would be a really well received.

34 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah it’s an impressive trio for any festival. We would moan about Coldplay being back on here but on the night they’d probably get the biggest crowd of the weekend.

Their comeback coinciding with Glasto’s 50th can’t be a coincidence. Them being in the frame for June Euro fests only heightens the chances.

I’d prefer Kendrick but then I’d probably be spending three nights at the pyramid. I haven’t seen Macca before and Taylor at Glasto is a dream come true.

Regardless of what some boomer users on this forum say... Paul and Taylor in the same year is incredibly strong. Unless three gigantic acts have fallen into their lap, Coldplay would be a safe bet to balance out the lineup.

Who has said they aren’t? Who would possibly say they aren’t?

Worth remembering as well that while we groan about Coldplay, there are a lot of people on social media who have put two and two together with the new albums and the 50th and really hoping they headline.

4 year gap seems pretty soon for us because we comb through every detail and can probably recite every Pyramid stage line up for the last decade, but your casual Glastonbury goer probably won't think about it in those terms. They'll just see Coldplay are back and a huge act for the anniversary.

I'd personally take a pass, but I wouldn't begrudge Glastonbury HQ booking them in the slightest. 

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Who has said they aren’t? Who would possibly say they aren’t?

Dude where do you think this “something special for the 50th” meme has come from? Look over at Reddit. T Swizzle and Macca is deemed ‘disappointing ’ 

and before you start I’m speaking specifically about a few individuals on the internet I’m not saying this a broadly accepted view.

Edited by Matt42

Looks like Queen is ruled out due to some stoush about badgers?

Not too sad about that, I'm seeing them next year because my family decided we should all go with my grandma for her birthday. Not sure it'll be worth the ticket price but I'll go in hoping for the best!

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

People have definitely posted their disappointment on here at the mooted headliners, with comments like "not special enough" etc. Don't know the users off the top of my head, but Matt is right - has happened.

I’ve seen some of those tbf but Coldplay would have a special moment within there set for some, Macca for a lot and Taylor definitely will. That trios massive and for many is special though it’s very subjective what’s special to some. 

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I’ve seen some of those tbf but Coldplay would have a special moment within there set for some, Macca for a lot and Taylor definitely will. That trios massive and for many is special though it’s very subjective what’s special to some. 

The joke I make is that criticisms of not “special enough” typically can’t provide an example of what they WOULD deem special. A lot of people are expecting WOW factor even though they can’t give an example for what it is.

All of this gets erased in the lead up / at the actual festival. Suddenly everything is special once everyone arrives through the gates.

9 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

Looks like Queen is ruled out due to some stoush about badgers?

Not too sad about that, I'm seeing them next year because my family decided we should all go with my grandma for her birthday. Not sure it'll be worth the ticket price but I'll go in hoping for the best!

Yep May and Eavis have been at loggerheads for a long time about badgers. Can't see them ever being booked.

I'm sure you will still enjoy them but in my own opinion I wouldn't pay the ticket price as I don't see them as Queen anymore. I can understand why people enjoy them still though.....just don't ever expect them at the G. 

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The joke I make is that criticisms of not “special enough” typically can’t provide an example of what they WOULD deem special. A lot of people are expecting WOW factor even though they can’t give an example for what it is.

All of this gets erased in the lead up / at the actual festival. Suddenly everything is special once everyone arrives through the gates.

The special part is subjective for most. Personally i'm expecting 1, possibly 2 big names and certainly would put Macca and Taylor in that (more the former though). However i'm expecting a more stacked card lower down and a few secret sets/guest appearances. 

3 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

The special part is subjective for most. Personally i'm expecting 1, possibly 2 big names and certainly would put Macca and Taylor in that (more the former though). However i'm expecting a more stacked card lower down and a few secret sets/guest appearances. 

Special to me is acts I’ve not seen before. Acts that are current and influential on music and who puts on a good show. I like to see the Billie Eilish’s of the scene being given a shot on some of the biggest stages in the world.

Of course special to most people means member berries (if you’ve seen South Park you know what I mean).

B2D12C4C-3F14-4CDC-90C2-8C8C4FDF8A1D.jpeg

28 minutes ago, jparx said:

People have definitely posted their disappointment on here at the mooted headliners, with comments like "not special enough" etc. Don't know the users off the top of my head, but Matt is right - has happened.

It probably has happened, you'll never get three names that universally satisfy everyone. But as far as I can see the reaction to potential Macca and Swift sets has been mostly positive on here (I don't bother with the other socials), there certainly hasn't been enough negativity to justify Matt's comments about "boomers".

Some people like to take the comments of one or two people and blow it up in order to create something to argue against.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Special to me is acts I’ve not seen before. Acts that are current and influential on music and who puts on a good show. I like to see the Billie Eilish’s of the scene being given a shot on some of the biggest stages in the world.

Of course special to most people means member berries (if you’ve seen South Park you know what I mean).

B2D12C4C-3F14-4CDC-90C2-8C8C4FDF8A1D.jpeg

Yes 'i member'

Well there you go, people have different expectations when it comes to the term 'Special'. I know some people who were expecting the Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John type lineup and others like me who expect 1 big name and the rest of the card to be stacked with the likes of the types you mention i.e Eilish. Bands like Wolf Alice headlining other etc, 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Dude where do you think this “something special for the 50th” meme has come from? Look over at Reddit. T Swizzle and Macca is deemed ‘disappointing ’ 

and before you start I’m speaking specifically about a few individuals on the internet I’m not saying this a broadly accepted view.

You literally said 'on this forum'. Now you're saying Reddit? You have a weird tendency to just make things up.

59 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Some people like to take the comments of one or two people and blow it up in order to create something to argue against.

Hey, that was my essay writing technique at uni. Finding some extremist opinions and then shutting them down with valour. Works every time.