All Points East Festival 2020

Courteeners aren't doing a Manchester gig this year beyond the Albert Hall launch dates - if they're doing APE it'd make sense as anyone who'd go to Heaton Park etc will just go to London instead, especially if there's a day of music they like underneath them (so DMAs etc).  Could be quite a shrewd move by APE actually to get them on the basis they won't do a Manchester gig.

Surprisingly, Magners Dark Fruit is absolutely lovely as I found out at Tramlines last year! Better in cans than on draft

All the music snobs turning up in the thread to slag off popular ‘lad bands’ that are doing well is great to see. Enjoy listening to your super edgy music no one else listens too. Bore off. They must be doing something right when the snobs turn up to label their fans.

• Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Dronx said:

All the music snobs turning up in the thread to slag off popular ‘lad bands’ that are doing well is great to see. Enjoy listening to your super edgy music no one else listens too. Bore off. They must be doing something right when the snobs turn up to label their fans.

😂

48 minutes ago, ArchieKingham2001 said:

Even if Liam Fray has slagged off APE in the past, who in the world thinks they are big enough to headline? This festival isn’t small, this isn’t truck festival or Kendal calling. APE is big. Courteeners are not big enough, maybe a filler slot for an AM headline. 

If you don't have a Manchester gig that summer then a decent amount of the 50,000 who filled the Old Trafford Cricket Ground the other year or Heaton Park last year will head down south to watch them and a load of supporting bands - APE is great value for a day of music you like. I agree they aren't and shouldn't be that big, but they are in Manchester.

I'm a big fan and love the live shows but I'm amazed at the size of venues they can fill in Manchester. I also feel sorry for the local area around APE that night if they do get booked....

If they're having a 'dark fruit/lad rock' day then aside from possibly Kasabian (who's Leicester date is their only UK show of 2020) I can't think of any that would sell out/well, couldn't see a Gallagher doing it.

Wouldn't say Courteeners are big enough but Catfish & the Bottlemen did a day in 2018 so if they are aiming for that demographic they might not have much choice.

4 minutes ago, AAlex said:

If they're having a 'dark fruit/lad rock' day then aside from possibly Kasabian (who's Leicester date is their only UK show of 2020) I can't think of any that would sell out/well, couldn't see a Gallagher doing it.

Wouldn't say Courteeners are big enough but Catfish & the Bottlemen did a day in 2018 so if they are aiming for that demographic they might not have much choice.

But APE dates don't sell out anyway and most don't even come close. Out of the 12 dates they have had so far, only The Strokes & Nick Cave have sold out. They are known for giving tickets away not selling them.

I can't see Kwarftwerk or Tame Impala selling out either, so maybe they need to re-think their headliners and try to get some more popular names. I think this year they need at least one marquee headliner (i.e the only one with a chance of selling out).

I know next to nothing about The Courteeners, so dont know if they would sell well or not but I suspect that an indie/rock day would sell well in London.

1 hour ago, SCG95 said:

Courteeners played London Olympia last month and I don't even believe that sold out. 

Would take a pretty stacked undercard to shift the tickets required to make it worthwhile at APE. 

I know some bands have country-by-country variations in their fanbase but I'm genuinely surprised at how profound it consistently has been for Courteneers. Some people down here obviously like them but its bizarre how different the scale is between north and south.

2 hours ago, Dales said:

But APE dates don't sell out anyway and most don't even come close. Out of the 12 dates they have had so far, only The Strokes & Nick Cave have sold out. They are known for giving tickets away not selling them.

I can't see Kwarftwerk or Tame Impala selling out either, so maybe they need to re-think their headliners and try to get some more popular names. I think this year they need at least one marquee headliner (i.e the only one with a chance of selling out).

I know next to nothing about The Courteeners, so dont know if they would sell well or not but I suspect that an indie/rock day would sell well in London.

Think Frank Ocean would sell out? I’m surprised there has been no more dates announced other than Coachella. 

I think off rarity and exclusivity alone he would sell out an APE day.

1 hour ago, Damon said:

Think Frank Ocean would sell out? I’m surprised there has been no more dates announced other than Coachella. 

I think off rarity and exclusivity alone he would sell out an APE day.

To be honest i don't know much about him either, but judging by the comments on here I assume he is really popular and so would be a ticket shifter. Although, there is nothing in their previous bookings to suggest they would book him but with only 2 years under its belt and a varied selection of headliners they might. However, I would have thought Wireless & Love Box would be after him more then APE.

14 minutes ago, Dales said:

To be honest i don't know much about him either, but judging by the comments on here I assume he is really popular and so would be a ticket shifter. Although, there is nothing in their previous bookings to suggest they would book him but with only 2 years under its belt and a varied selection of headliners they might. However, I would have thought Wireless & Love Box would be after him more then APE.

I’d say wireless is more rap/grime focused, he’d be perfect for lovebox but they already have their headliners!

19 hours ago, Superunknown said:

It's quite obviously more than just one song. I'm not a great lover of their music but hardly deserving of the stick they get round here. A quick listen to their latest album show there's a bit more about them than just writing them off as a one hit wonder popular with the dark fruits crowd. 

Bang on. I wouldn't call myself a fan of the Courteenees but I do think the stick they get is pretty undeserved. The new album is pretty decent and St. Jude had a few bangers. 

The worst I'll say about their music is it is in large, unimaginative. But I think it is an unfair assumption that that makes their listeners unimaginative - an assumption I think a lot of people are guilty of. Like what you want to like. If you enjoy the Courteeners, it doesn't make the rest of your music taste any less reputable. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Glenn Coco said:

What are the chances of Kacey Musgraves playing this.. or any UK festival?

I’m looking at my Primavera tickets and second guessing whether it’s worth it. She’s the only artist on my must see list that doesn’t already have a UK date.

If Lana plays, there might be a decent chance of her on the undercard. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Glenn Coco said:

What are the chances of Kacey Musgraves playing this.. or any UK festival?

I’m looking at my Primavera tickets and second guessing whether it’s worth it. She’s the only artist on my must see list that doesn’t already have a UK date.

It would not be the first name that springs to mind and would certainly not be a headliner for APE unless they radically changed their booking policy. Is she to big to play second fiddle to some one else and be on the undercard?

My initial thoughts when I read this was that she is much more likely to play C2C when that gets announced. I can't say that I follow their lineups but my sister likes country/folk and i'm sure she has seen Kacey at one of these events. I also assume she would headline C2C if playing.

As far as other festivals, Glastonbury/Cornbury etc are more likely then an urban based festival. I know C2C are in cities but I think you know what I mean.