2021 Lineup

31 minutes ago, VCK said:

Probably already cleared up but I'm feeling lazy - will both Main Stages run at the same time? If not, I wonder if the second Main Stage will have a "smaller" batch of headliners, effectively making them subs.

We are, or at least I am thinking otherwise because of this:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/reading-leeds-festival-boss-2021-line-up-tickets-testing-melvin-benn-interview-2739191

Is there anything you’re innovating for Reading & Leeds in 2021?

“COVID has given us a year off, so the innovation for next year is testing – everybody will be tested. We’re also going to reproduce the main stage twice. What was the second stage is going to be elevated to an equal stage with the same presentation. What that really allows us to do is book six acts that are headliners.”

That’s got to be a worldwide first?

“When we first took over Reading Festival in 1989, the idea that there would even be two stages of acts playing at the same time was innovative. People were like, ‘Two bands playing at once? You can’t do that, Melvin’. We were like, ‘Yeah we can, just watch’. Now festivals have hundreds of stages at once.”

So will all six headliners be of an equal level?
“Yes, very much."

Obviously that second quote is up for interpretation whether he's just saying that they did that with no relevance to the situation they have outlined, but I think it would be a bit strange of him to say all this and not mention that the acts are alternating. Surely having six headliners, all of whom you could see, would be a huge thing for him to be able to tease?

I’m gonna do an ambitious guess the 6 will be: Liam Gallagher, Billie Eilish, Bring Me The Horizon, Dave, Florence & The Machine, Travis Scott. Probably quite an expensive lot though. 

And have Lewis Capaldi, Sam Fender, Fontaines DC, Lizzo, Declan McKenna, FKA Twigs (please) & Wolf Alice all pretty high up.

Just now, Dangerbreaks said:

Surely Chase & Status aren't big enough to headline even with 6? Unless I'm massively under rating their popularity 

They’re deffo not. Sub max even with 6 headliners. Pretty sure they’re still only doing DJ sets and RTRN II JUNGLE sets anyway (or were before the virus)

Just now, Dangerbreaks said:

Surely Chase & Status aren't big enough to headline even with 6? Unless I'm massively under rating their popularity 

They’re big but I agree, would probably be carnage and I would be all for it but I reckon sub

3 minutes ago, Tom Connolly said:

think the lack of strong rumours and surprise announcement of the announcement killed the hype, build up on the way to 18/19 & 20 were all exceptional 

Nothings ever gonna beat the evening before the Rage announcement, fucking mental but so hard to keep up, just the pure elation I felt through the screen with the whole football commentary. I think it’s a case of into the unknown, it’s weird having a lineup the day after this years festival should’ve finished and we don’t know what the stages will be like and what’s actually going on.

Tomorrow should be fun, and if @Dan Wilcoxmakes an appearance then that may spice it up