Acts That Will Never Play Glastonbury

chatty

2 hours ago, TheNoise said:

That's the most gammon comment on here.

Hardly.

You seem to have a problem with someone not liking queen. It's a music internet forum. We all like different things. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nah. Not "ultimate"

Queen exist in a weird gammon / anti-gammon space.  Beloved of crimson faced grandpas who hang on Jeremy Clarkson's every word, yet simultaneously doing things like Lily of the Valley and Nevermore and opera.  

They're a bit like ABBA and Ziggy-period Bowie - despite the fact that confused boomers and racist mums on Facebook hold them dear, they're still really good.

You are probably right on that. I suppose massive acts have a huge crossover. My view is skewed by a few people I know. Proper little Englanders. Wont leave their home town.... queen "fans".

In my experence Queen are a band that people who are not into music "love".

People who like middle of the road stuff have Queen as their ultimate headline act.

I dont knock their talent, but it leaves me cold most of the time. (I say most cos there are enough tunes for me to like).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Hardly.

You seem to have a problem with someone not liking queen. It's a music internet forum. We all like different things. 

I don't have a problem with different musical tastes, I have a problem with calling people names because of their taste.

To turn your statement around, if I'd said Stormzy was the ultimate SJW artist I'd have been jumped all over and called a gammon.

2 hours ago, HeyPorter said:

Depeche Mode. Can’t find anything about them playing before. 

Never played. Offered the chance to headline but turned it down.

Never understood it. They dont need the money and constantly whinge about lack of recognition they get in  the  UK. 

4 minutes ago, TheNoise said:

I don't have a problem with different musical tastes, I have a problem with calling people names because of their taste.

To turn your statement around, if I'd said Stormzy was the ultimate SJW artist I'd have been jumped all over and called a gammon.

Not everyone who listens to Queen is gammon but everyone who is gammon listens to Queen.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

That one is kind of true though, I’ve long maintained that The Masterplan is their best album.

WTSMG would've been comfortably their best album if they'd been a bit more savvy with the tracklisting. Get Acquiesce, Headshrinker and The Masterplan on there and scrap the Swamp Song interludes and stick She's Electric and Champagne Supernova elsewhere as B-sides and you're cooking with gas.

9 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

WTSMG would've been comfortably their best album if they'd been a bit more savvy with the tracklisting. Get Acquiesce, Headshrinker and The Masterplan on there and scrap the Swamp Song interludes and stick She's Electric and Champagne Supernova elsewhere as B-sides and you're cooking with gas.

That needs to still be on it for me.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Never played. Offered the chance to headline but turned it down.

Never understood it. They dont need the money and constantly whinge about lack of recognition they get in  the  UK. 

I've said it on here before, at the time it was offered Dave's voice was suffering in a bad way (mid way through another massive tour), and Fletch was pissing everyone off (even more than usual). Those aren't the reasons he told me per se, as I didn't ask specifically, but those were the circumstances at the time they were asked. They wanted to play was the vibe I got, just circumstances prevented it. 

26 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If the Cure can headline Depeche Mode can headline. I still think DM will do it one year, it’l just be a long time coming kinda thing.

I know they’ve been asked (not this particularly this year) and I know they’ve said it doesn’t pay enough

How about The Kinks. Rumoured every year, normally with no real substance behind it, Ray and Dave Davies have a real weird realtionship where they dont seem to get on that well and all members are in their mid 70s. Cant see that one coming off now tbh. 

Were meant to headline the first festival and famously pulled out, I take that as a curse though Ray has played it loads. 

7 minutes ago, chatty said:

How about The Kinks. Rumoured every year, normally with no real substance behind it, Ray and Dave Davies have a real weird realtionship where they dont seem to get on that well and all members are in their mid 70s. Cant see that one coming off now tbh. 

Were meant to headline the first festival and famously pulled out, I take that as a curse though Ray has played it loads. 

Think they played in 1993