Metal/Hard Rock/Alt Rock/Punk at Glastonbury 2019

chatty

Judas Priest would be likely after a genuinely brilliant album (and would appear more to the masses)

System of a down wont after Daron Malakian released with scars on broadway

Metallica was massive - Guns n Roses probably the most viable 'legend' to play from this scene.

Always good to most in some funky DrMartins @Dillyblue

Would love to see Faith No More there at some point in the future. No idea how likely they would be to ever play or even if they are active at the moment. Would also be interested in people’s thoughts of Metallica playing this year? I know there’s no way they would headline Pyramid again so soon after their last appearance but could they be in as a shout for Other headliners maybe?

28 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

Mates with yer fash man from vice and quite a fash man himself so hopefully not 

McInnes is (or was) friends with loads of musicians, from being dude at Vice. I’ll believe it when I see it on WK saying owt fascist, given that he’s been preaching inclusivity and condemning bigotry for so long.

12 hours ago, dentalplan said:

McInnes is (or was) friends with loads of musicians, from being dude at Vice. I’ll believe it when I see it on WK saying owt fascist, given that he’s been preaching inclusivity and condemning bigotry for so long.

Thanks for the translation

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dentalplan said:

He has a long list of links to the alt right, wider than McInnes, including working with Glenn Beck, idolising Breitbart, hosting neo nazi gigs and more. 

That thread gives more details.

1 minute ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

He has a long list of links to the alt right, wider than McInnes, including working with Glenn Beck, idolising Breitbart, hosting neo nazi gigs and more. 

That thread gives more details.

I read up on this after you mentioned it. That thread gives a whole lot of details about actual alt-rights, and that Andrew W.K. has hung around with them in the past (in McInnes case, as many did) and not a lot on W.K. espousing their beliefs.

He said he liked Breitbart but called him 'unhinged', and was opposed to Glenn Beck from the off. Both of those play into his way of doing politics; by discussing things with opponents and not vilifying them - not the way many would do it but, like I said, dude's mad on inclusivity. Surely if he was a fascist and went on those shows because he held the same views then there'd be some quotes of him saying some iffy shit - at which point I would be like 'ok yeah you're right' - but there's nothing except him going on to offer an opposing voice. 

Also, regarding the 'hosting neo nazi gigs', another owner of the venue had no idea about the gigs so I would suspect that neither did Andrew W.K., who used to be in an anti-nazi punk band. Furthermore the dude has rallied behind Obama and other dems.

So yeah, I think you could do better than being duped by such a thread when it's a similar type of guilt-by-association ramble as the ones levelled by the right at Corbyn and Hillary.

32 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

So yeah, I think you could do better than being duped by such a thread when it's a similar type of guilt-by-association ramble as the ones levelled by the right at Corbyn and Hillary.

Continuous collaboration, praise and enablement as guilt by association is a long stretch. If he’d have accidentally taken a photo with someone and not known who they are, guilt by association may be more appropriate. It shows a continuous pattern of him being happy to repeat his actions and further them, which is definitely at odds with his “brand”. 

34 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

Continuous collaboration, praise and enablement as guilt by association is a long stretch. If he’d have accidentally taken a photo with someone and not known who they are, guilt by association may be more appropriate. It shows a continuous pattern of him being happy to repeat his actions and further them, which is definitely at odds with his “brand”. 

So that's a stretch but 'appeared on right-wing programmes because of his message of peace and discourse (and partying) = fascist' isn't? The OP of the thread isn't even calling him a fascist.

As I said, he has history of being liberal, anti-fascist and he even donated his fees from the show with Glenn Beck to charity so wasn't just doing it for dollar. You could certainly accuse him of being overly tolerant because of his brand, but that's his shit and I suspect that - if it took a few years to get some low-scale Twitter takedown (that is so spurious that the media aren't even bothered about validating and isn't even doing numbers on the subreddits that the OP is posting to) - it hasn't really melded followers of Andrew W.K or his philosophies with that of the alt-right at all.

Edited by dentalplan

On 10/20/2018 at 11:46 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Til we have seen Def Leppard
On England's grey and pointy Pyramid

On 10/20/2018 at 11:57 AM, chatty said:

Would be class. They have been touring this year, where would you put them? 

On 10/20/2018 at 12:49 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yup...but there's a but.

Joe Elliott's a Britrock traditionalist, worshipping at the altar of Bowie, Bolan and Zep.  He'll know that everyone from The Kinks to Ian Hunter to the Stones has done it and I suspect he'd like to be on that roster and part of that canon.  If Glastonbury were to ask I don't think that their terms would be silly.

with a weakness for Def Leppard from their 1983-90 prime (I still rate Pyromania as my 'ok computer' of hard rock albums) if added to the bill they'd be one I'd definitely go see 3rd or 4th down on the pyramid. 

However, in recent 5+ years, by early to mid June I think they're usually kicking off their summer cash-cow/retirement plan, which is their tour of American outdoor amphitheatres with 15-20K capacities, catching all those 40/50 year olds who made them one of the biggest bands in the US from Pyromania (6 million sold in US in 1983, 35 consecutive weeks in top 10 of album charts, 2 weeks at #2 behind Thriller), through Hysteria. I can't see late June being available for them to be in Europe with this consistent summer schedule of theirs

Throwing these in here because I guess for most they are hard rock... at least stoner rock :)

King Buffalo who have one of my favourite albums of the year

Elder who I saw saw a couple of weeks back and fully melted my face

And any combination of LeechWe Made GodOak PantheonThese Arms Are Snakes or Meshuggah

Although probably too big to play anywhere other than near a headline slot Gojira would be amazing (both musically and from their dovetailing with the festivals apparent values).