Jump to content
GETOFFAMYLAWN

Green Man 2019

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Agree with this. It was pretty full on down the front at times but anyone who was there wanted to be there. 

Was your son wearing a Shame tee shirt? We were chatting to some lads before Yak who were from Southampton and I asked the lad how old he was and was surprised when he said 13; looks a fair bit older. We were talking about the Joiners. 

Yeah, that's him, he's 14 next month. The friends he was with are kids he's met over the years at Green Man and live all around the country. 

Were you wearing a Joiners tshirt? He said he spoke to someone wearing one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, benali said:

Yeah, that's him, he's 14 next month. The friends he was with are kids he's met over the years at Green Man and live all around the country. 

Were you wearing a Joiners tshirt? He said he spoke to someone wearing one.

I was with the guy in the Joiners shirt. Your son’s a really nice lad who obviously knows his music. We were chatting about Oh Sees and Fontaines DC. Glad he enjoyed and survived the Idles set 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EOTGM said:

Another great year.

Highlights for me were 

Eels

Aldous Harding 

Sharon Van Etton 

Lee Fields 

Fat White Family 

Say sue me

Only real disappointment for me were Big Thief as one of my most anticipated bands playing and being at the barrier I lost interest a few songs in sadly.

Another great year though 

 

That Big Thief set was one of the best things I've seen in a long time anywhere! Set of the weekend, for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PresentlyTense said:

That Big Thief set was one of the best things I've seen in a long time anywhere! Set of the weekend, for me!

Personally I just found it very uninteresting and felt as a band it wasn't a very tight performance with very clunky ending to alot of there song. there walled garden set a few years back was much better for me. I do think that part of my disappointment was from fact I had such high expectations. And after speaking to some fellow people at the barrier and some friends also at the festival I found most of the responses I had were either people thinking it was disappointing or one of the best sets of the entire weekend so you're definitely not alone in thinking it was one of the highlight of the festival but for me as band I like so much I was just pretty disappointed sadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful festival. 25 bands over 3.5 days, would have been more if I hadn't gone back to the tent at 9.30pm on Friday for a quick rest and freshen up.. And woke at 2am. Doh! 

 

Highlights were Stereolab, the surprise appearance by The wedding present, Gwenno and TVAM.  POZI blew me away, Hen Ogledd were fab.  

No disappointment for me, loved it all! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, EOTGM said:

Personally I just found it very uninteresting and felt as a band it wasn't a very tight performance with very clunky ending to alot of there song. there walled garden set a few years back was much better for me. I do think that part of my disappointment was from fact I had such high expectations. And after speaking to some fellow people at the barrier and some friends also at the festival I found most of the responses I had were either people thinking it was disappointing or one of the best sets of the entire weekend so you're definitely not alone in thinking it was one of the highlight of the festival but for me as band I like so much I was just pretty disappointed sadly.

The only reference point I had was EOTR last year which was so bad with technical issues I gave up.

This time around I thought the band were really tight. The set list was an absolute dream too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Thief probably 3rd best set of the weekend for me behind SVE and FJM. Thought it was ace. 

Not or Seventeen song of the weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The only reference point I had was EOTR last year which was so bad with technical issues I gave up.

This time around I thought the band were really tight. The set list was an absolute dream too.

I liked the setlist but I was abit disappointed not to hear some songs like Real Love and Mary but I was expecting to miss a few because I wasn't a big fan of UFOF (I know im definitely in the minority) and I knew they'd play a fair few of that. Did enjoy the new single Not though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, EOTGM said:

I liked the setlist but I was abit disappointed not to hear some songs like Real Love and Mary but I was expecting to miss a few because I wasn't a big fan of UFOF (I know im definitely in the minority) and I knew they'd play a fair few of that. Did enjoy the new single Not though.

Fair enough. Definitely looking forward to the new album if Not is the standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Fair enough. Definitely looking forward to the new album if Not is the standard.

I agree. Its a very strong first single.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just thought of something else - did anyone else think the mud between Mountain and the Courtyard smelled like rancid chicken?! I was nearly sick the first time I walked through after the rain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a great time at my first Green Man, despite the rain, toddler in tow and being pregnant!  We were lucky enough to be able to camp in accessible camping as one of our party had a pass.  The stewards didnt really seem to mind who went in so we all trapsed through!  Was a lovely big space with loads of room for our tents and for the toddlers to run about, just perfect.

Managed to see some really good sets over the weekend despite having to manage the weather and childcare needs.  Was happily surprised to see Amadou and Mariam rescheduled to the Friday evening, we thought we'd already missed them.  Slightly underwhelmed by Steve Mason although he did finish pretty well.  SvE on the main stage was great, watching Seventeen was probably the highlight of my weekend, only wished I'd been down the front for that! I also loved Four Tet. Got my raving shoes on with the little one snug in the trolley at the back (sorry trolley-haters) and danced til 1am.  Also caught sets from Nulifer Yanya, Eels and a lot of the daytime acts on the Main Stage.  Really enjoyed Saturday and Sunday sitting in the sun at the back listening to some new music.

My only gripe is that the dance options are fairly limited and are on sooo late!  I couldn't manage to stay up til 2am to catch Giles Peterson, Shy FX or John Talabot do the after hours stuff.  I don't know why there's such a big gap between the last headliner finishing and the dancey stuff starting.  For me, sometimes the timetable didn't flow very well, it was a case of hanging around for an hour waiting for something I wanted to see next.  I often just headed back to the tent and went to bed.  I guess I'm comparing it to Glasto where there's always so much choice, all the time.

Overall though it was a great festival.  We'll definitely be back.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miss_Boo said:

My only gripe is that the dance options are fairly limited and are on sooo late!  I couldn't manage to stay up til 2am to catch Giles Peterson, Shy FX or John Talabot do the after hours stuff.  I don't know why there's such a big gap between the last headliner finishing and the dancey stuff starting. 

There wasn't. The longest was between idles and John Talabot - 45 mins whilst they burnt the Green Man.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Declan said:

There wasn't. The longest was between idles and John Talabot - 45 mins whilst they burnt the Green Man.

In fairness her general point does stand in that there is a lack of decent dance music, although personally this doesn't bother me too much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredible weekend. Favourite green man out of the 8 we’ve done. Lineup was that good we saw WAY more music than previous Green Mans. Favourite 5 sets were: Squid (in the mud), Pigs x 7, Idles, Black Country New Road and Maribou State. Saw loads of other brilliant sets also across all stages.

Only negative was definitely the Tiny Rebel beer selling out so soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rug568 said:

In fairness her general point does stand in that there is a lack of decent dance music, although personally this doesn't bother me too much

Doesn't bother me too much either. While I accept there isn't a lot of it. I'm grateful that it is there as an option at all for dance and think that c.1am is just about the perfect timing (not too late) and allows the night to be extended longer for those. I appreciate it is too late if you have kids but with a limited number of stages there's no way of pleasing everyone unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Declan said:

There wasn't. The longest was between idles and John Talabot - 45 mins whilst they burnt the Green Man.

Depending on which headliner you saw there was always at least a 45min wait before the main dance act.  I.e Yo La Tengo finishing at 00.30 - Greg Wilson on at 2am.  Four Tet finishing 00.45 - Shy FX starting at 2am.  FJM finishing at 23.45 - Talabot starting 00.45am.

I know there's always something to do and perhaps if I was drinking I wouldn't have found the waiting times as bad.  But those three dance acts I really wanted to see but just didn't fancy hanging around til the wee hours for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest I was a bit disappointed that the performances finished early on Saturday and Sunday with djs taking over around. I like electronic and dance music to listen to at home or when travelling but on a  stage at festival or venue it is an utter bore.

EOTR handles this better, with the disc jokeys playing records for the lazy bastards who just want a dance and a drink and bands in the Tipi for those that still want something good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

and Tiny Rebel need to re-think the number of barrels they send to festivals.

Had run out before we got to them. Nightmare

I suspect their current production capacity is unable to satisfy their ever increasing popularity.

I had complaints from friends in Newport that there was limited stock in the bars there because "they've sent all the beer to your bloody festival" 😝

Hopefully their expansion plans will address things for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Odessa said:

This is such a good festival. I volunteered again and got really well looked after again by them with food etc, so if the cost of the ticket is ever the difference between you being able to go or not then defo just go as a steward. I spent less than £20 on food and hot drinks in 5 days because they provide so much to staff.

Definitely agree with this, the £6.50 wristband for 3 meals a day plus tea/coffee made life so much easier. It was my first time stewarding and wasn't sure what to expect but they treat you really well and met many, many lovely folk. I'll probably do the same again next year, didn't feel like I was missing loads and although it's tiring the shifts are mostly good fun. That said I did have a rough couple of hours during my car park shift on the rainy Friday evening, luckily for me Snapped Ankles were late on so I was able to see all of their set and de-stress a bit.

The main reason I went was to have another chance to see Sharon Van Etten so she was always going to be my highlight, got myself a good spot down the front and enjoyed every minute of it (actually I was a bit annoyed by the photographers, the little hill on the other side of the barrier means they're higher than they normally would be and can be quite distracting. That's a really minor quibble though).

I was surprised how much I enjoyed These New Puritans, I've been vaguely aware of them for years and had given them a few listens in the build up but hadn't been blown away. Only made my mind up to see them when I told a friend they were on and he insisted I get my arse there, so glad I did.

Other highlights were Sons of Kemit, Hen Ogledd and of course Snapped Ankles. Pozzi, The Beths, Yak, Porridge Radio and Pottery all get honorable mentions too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tatterdemalion said:

Definitely agree with this, the £6.50 wristband for 3 meals a day plus tea/coffee made life so much easier. It was my first time stewarding and wasn't sure what to expect but they treat you really well and met many, many lovely folk. I'll probably do the same again next year, didn't feel like I was missing loads and although it's tiring the shifts are mostly good fun. That said I did have a rough couple of hours during my car park shift on the rainy Friday evening, luckily for me Snapped Ankles were late on so I was able to see all of their set and de-stress a bit.

I was in the carpark sorting traffic on Thursday evening so got lucky with the weather there. I didn't mind that job for a few hours but once it got to about 10 and nobody was arriving, I was sick of it before long haha. Between 10 and 1 we dealt with next to nothing so that was a drag and the only bit of the volunteering I really couldn't be arsed with. My night shift on the Friday was fine cos I just had free roam to wander round near the fire/green man, so I was just wandering round speaking to fucked up people. Wasn't really work beyond having to be awake. And then Sunday morning I was just sat down by the entrance to the crew bit, but with 2 proper members of security staff. So I wasn't needed there at all and constantly left for toast/soup/coffee. Really easy stuff on the whole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I just noticed this, and it's a much more empathetic read than the (frankly weird) 5* Guardian effort and actually ties pretty well with how I felt about it. But they don't like Idles do they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...