What could Glastonbury do that would stop you going?

Alex DeLarge

A site change for me wouldn't be the end of the world. As someone else said if it was done the same with all the stages and areas etc and had the same ethos, but wanted to make it more accessible for the whole of the UK or to make the SE Corner less rammed it would be okay.

A killer for me is if the clientele changed more than anything. Less friendly happy hippy types and more tourists would stop me going eventually. To see half empty healing fields and half empty green futures or left field would show me that no one cares about the causes, just the music and that would be a shame

On 9/23/2018 at 6:45 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Book top gear live, university callange and the prime minister to headline The Park

So basically Werchter have moved their festival forward a week to book these. I think they're booked their for Sunday this year and from past history of play 6 times and 3 in 12 years they sell the tickets, this would be 4 in 19 years. Monkeys played this year, Macca only played in 16 and as said it didn't sell out...it was Thursday but he's huge enough to sell it...I've known others that have. I also personally didn't see it being the most solid year, their dip maybe if you like. Kendrick, it would be two summers after release of Damn and I don't think either Werchter or Glasto will go for that...Glasto would certainly want it when it's new and fresh and he did Puckelpop this year on a 2nd year. Also Stormzy isn't going to headline after never playing Werchter anyway. 

I think Florence would get booked again for both already but I'm unsure a fest would move for her....she does sell well though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Don’t know how much money is flowing or where to, but it already feels a ‘bit’ sponsored by the likes of BBC, The Gaurdian, EE, Yeo Valley (‘til last year anyway).

I guess the only thing that would really put me off is if the vibe changed somehow. Downsized by getting rid of some of the quirkier areas, segregating the main stage areas into ‘proper’ arenas with alcohol restrictions etc. Ditching the charities and going full on ‘for profit’. Can’t really imagine those sorts of things happening.

As others have said, I think it would more likely be something in my life or circumstances that would stop me going - although most things I can envision might only stop me going for that particular year, or a couple of years, rather than write it off completely.

Cost is probably the biggest factor likely to deter me otherwise - it's already right up there with what I think is reasonable to spend on a festival. If it moved location I'd be sad but would most likely give it a go elsewhere.

The environmental/rubbish factor does get me down, but I don't know if it would stop me going, if I'm honest... it can be depressing, though. Having been to other festivals lately where people seem to pick up after themselves a lot more, or you can see the reduced impact that reusable cups have, the sight of West Holts early evening can be pretty offputting - and I love that field. Not to mention the mountains of tents etc left in the campsites.

I feel differently about Glastonbury than I used to, anyway. Having broken my seven-year run with a year off it did make me realise that life goes on and there are other experiences out there. For example, in 2010 I was offered a free whale-watching trip in Canada that would have clashed with the festival and turned it down. That seems a bit mental to me now! To be fair, I'd fully paid for everything, my best mate was coming for the first time and this was only a few weeks before the festival so it seemed an easy choice. It turned out to be one of the best ever, so no regrets. But I do wonder, given that choice again, what I'd do now...

16 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

If they ever brought in a "Golden circle" for VIP tickets (BST - I'm thinking of you)_.

Ye gods I hadn't even considered this as a possibility.

How does it work in practice somewhere like BST? Would it basically be the equivalent of the barriered section at the Pyramid being ticket only?

23 hours ago, Quark said:

Ye gods I hadn't even considered this as a possibility.

How does it work in practice somewhere like BST? Would it basically be the equivalent of the barriered section at the Pyramid being ticket only?

the whole front area of the field is fenced off and the plebs are only allowed in the rear section - think TRNSMT did the same.

imagine the pyramid stage where only VIP ticket holders were allowed in the section in front of the security/crush barrier half-way back to the sound desk.

On 9/23/2018 at 10:00 PM, H.M.V said:

WTF, don't know who the James fella is but can you provide a link to this please. 

Sure. It was in the Sunday Times and the Times, but I won't link to those Murdoch rags. So here's the NME report: https://www.nme.com/festivals/bestival-going-administration-2382702

Latest update: he's now offered to buy the Bestival brand for £1.1m https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-45654041