Worst Album Covers

Quark

32 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

those old enough will remember this series of tacky not-original-artists compilations...

6157245_orig.jpg

Embarrassingly, I remember them. Luckily never had any of them, they're not completely without merit, Elton John did loads of covers for them, decent quality, even Bridge Over Troubled Water tackled, and it helped him learn his 'art'...

4 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Luckily never had any of them, they're not completely without merit, Elton John did loads of covers for them, decent quality, even Bridge Over Troubled Water tackled, and it helped him learn his 'art'...

I had at least one of them (naff pressie from my mum who didn't know better, I think) - I even spotted the cover when looking for an example. Unfortunately it wasn't available to embed so I picked another.

I hadn't realised that people like Reg had sung on them.

58 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The new Tom Grennan one struck me as a terrible album cover. Not in its content, just that it’s basically his press photo that he’s been using for a while made into a CD cover on MS Paint, like an old fashioned bootleg. I can only imagine all the CD’s said Memorex on them.

packshot-tomgrennan-lightingmatches.jpg

I even hate this photo

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

The new Tom Grennan one struck me as a terrible album cover. Not in its content, just that it’s basically his press photo that he’s been using for a while made into a CD cover on MS Paint, like an old fashioned bootleg. I can only imagine all the CD’s said Memorex on them.

packshot-tomgrennan-lightingmatches.jpg

Probs blew all the budget on that sovereign ring

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I had at least one of them (naff pressie from my mum who didn't know better, I think) - I even spotted the cover when looking for an example. Unfortunately it wasn't available to embed so I picked another.

Ha - I've now had to go digging for the one I was bought for Christmas one year .... and here it is -

315107.jpg.05b6a32b2376eb57547d6a50ae31437d.jpg

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Can we start attaching links to the artist's YouTube video too? Sounds like a female version of The B-Sharps

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Rogue%20Male%206.jpg

Now that's a genuinely shit album cover. Derivative, badly executed and not memorable.  Rubbish. 

Enjoy...

12 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I hadn't realised that people like Reg had sung on them.

I likewise had three or four of the TOTP albums bought for for me as Xmas pressies in my early teens. If Reg did perform on any of them I did not notice, and if anything it would have actually diminished my respect for them if anything. (Fucking hate Elton John)

Even my heroes  had some total shockers...

R-6480253-1432617915-8650.jpeg.jpg

This is a place of magic...(NSFW)

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/105693922485697542/

e.g.

737c070ad43ae8aaa60ce15211be0f87.jpg

7113dba89454cf99de59e14d3e5d19c2.jpg

Edited by bamber

On 19 July 2018 at 11:42 AM, eFestivals said:

those old enough will remember this series of tacky not-original-artists compilations...

6157245_orig.jpg

Growl. Triggered.

I remember the feeling of having been conned when I got home with one of these and discovered that it was a covers album. Possibly one of the first pieces of vinyl I'd chosen to spend on.

I was an infant at the time. A right bloody scam. Let's fool well meaning grandparents and young and naive kids. Iirc there was no indication, of any sort, anywhere, that suggested that they were albums of (generally appalling) covers.

Weren't they exclusive to Woolworths? I generally used to buy my records from either Boots or Woolworths (directly opposite each other in my town. If one had sold out of what you were after, the other would generally have it. Remember those Top 40 Singles racks?). I don't recall ever seeing these TOTP rip offs in Boots. Or Smiths. Or Debenhams. Or anywhere else that stocked records in those days.

One of the few LPs I didn't later regret trading in 'cause I wanted cash for something else.

Bit behind here. You have to remember with Hard-Fi, they were pretty huge after that first album. Like, I'm 99% sure Stars Of CCTV was the most played album on Radio 1 the year it came out (I can't actually find anything to back this up atm but it's a weird thing for me to have made up and I've been telling people this "fact" for years lol).

So they come back with a second record, and they musta thought they were gonna maintain that level of success and that the No Cover Art bollocks would one day be revered as one of the iconic album covers. It just seems a very odd thing to do unless they thought it was a real statement that would be looked back on. Idk. This is coming from someone who still enjoys that album, and I would have listed Hard-Fi as one of my favourite bands well into high school. So I'm not looking to criticise them. But man is that cover shite.

Please come back Hard-Fi I never got to see you live

Edit: Found some sources for my most played band shout. Fuck knows how reputable they are but at least I'm not going senile haha.

Edited by Odessa