Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

City were the better team, slightly... The finishes for both their goals were utterly top notch. The Pool could of got a draw with little arguments but the result makes it all very interesting going into the second half of the season. 

Just hope Liverpool don’t let the result get to them... 

Brighton, Palace, Leicester next... 9 points required, but far from guaranteed 

The Liverpool players didn't look like their heads were down after the game. I thought on balance it was a borderline draw/narrow city win game.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

What is Adam Lallana up to these days!

Came on as a sub last week, he's a shoe in!

Mig

What's his face - That fella who played that game - Matip - Moreno 

Lallana - Dave- The one you thought was on loan - Ox In A Wheelchair

Origi - Sturridge 

8 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Don't agree they wanted it more, just a better team at the end of the day.

not sure it's either. The margins were tiny, you might say just 11mm.

The difference was in midfield, where Liverpool never really got going but still managed to leave the defence exposed on the side that city attacked all game, while Fernandinho was solid as a rock.

I’d still have Liverpool as strong favourites. Only two tricky games left against Spurs and Chelsea both at home.

Last night though City were the better team not sure what Klopp is going on about the Kompany tackle. If that’s a straight red the game is finished. City should of also had a pen for the rugby tackle on Sterling in the box. City looking so much better with Fernandinho back but losing him for the congested Christmas period has probably set them back too much.

6 minutes ago, lost said:

I’d still have Liverpool as strong favourites. Only two tricky games left against Spurs and Chelsea both at home.

Last night though City were the better team not sure what Klopp is going on about the Kompany tackle. If that’s a straight red the game is finished. City should of also had a pen for the rugby tackle on Sterling in the box. City looking so much better with Fernandinho back but losing him for the congested Christmas period has probably set them back too much.

Away at Utd and Everton? Cmon.

35 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

As a neutral it's funny to see all the man utd fans claiming it's Liverpool's to lose, while the Liverpool fans claim city are the favourites!

As a neutral. ?

Im old enough to have been pleased for my mate when Utd won the league after a 1/4 century. Times have changed tho.

1 hour ago, lost said:

The run in is no more difficult for City other than still having to play Arsenal but given how awful Arsenal were at Anfield, I'm not sure that counts.

Both got Utd away, Spurs & Chelsea at home.

Libpool

Brighton (A)
Palace (H)
Leicester (H)
West Ham (A)
Bournemouth (H)
Man Utd (A)
Watford (H)
Everton (A)
Burnley (H)
Fulham (A)
Spurs (H)
Southampton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Cardiff (A)
Huddersfield (H)
Newcastle (A)
Wolves (H)

Citeh

Wolves (H)
Huddersfield (A)
Newcastle (A)
Arsenal (H)
Chelsea (H)
Everton (A)
West Ham (H)
Bournemouth (A)
Watford (H)
Man Utd (A)
Fulham (A)
Cardiff (H)
Palace (A)
Spurs (H)
Burnley (H)
Leicester (H)

Brighton(A)

2 minutes ago, santowhir said:

That's strange, they were acting like they've already won it a few weeks ago.

You clearly speak to different Liverpool fans than I do. A month ago no-one thought we had a chance, if you'd have said we could go to City, lose and still be 4 points clear, you'd be laughed at. Hopes have definitely been raised and if Liverpool had won yesterday, I'd have said it was in the bag. A draw to stay 7 points above City, I'd have been confident. As it is, 4 points over a team that won the league at an absolute canter last year, it's nothing more than a chance.

On 1/3/2019 at 11:51 AM, Wooderson said:

What do you reckon Easty? Decent encounter in prospect or wha?

I thought it would be a tough encounter but we would just have a little too much for them. Pep seems to have come up with a plan for Liverpool and both games have been pretty similar.  I think City have been the better team over both games and should have won both games.

The league is not about being best on any given day though, it's all about consistently. 

I love how people are putting up lists of games and predicting when both teams should win and lose. It really does not work like that. United blew a 2 goal lead at home against Everton a few years ago that let City in to win the league. Liverpool slipped up against Palace and let City in to win it. It's only January, plenty of pit falls ahead for both teams. 

It's going to go down to the wire. 4 points is quite a handy little lead and I do not expect Liverpool to drop many points, never mind lose games. If City were 4 points ahead now, I would say Liverpool had no chance. Yet this City team are capable of going on now and winning every game.

It is finely poised. The bitter blue lurking deep inside says City will romp home and Liverpool have no chance. Yet if I take the blinkers off for a minute, you realise that Liverpool are quite easily the 2nd best team in the league, they do not have to play City again and are points ahead. They don't actually have to concern themselves with City. Carry on as they have been going and they will win the league.

Edited by eastynh