Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

It's a fantastic position for Liverpool to be in but everyone will know that City's recent form show just how quickly things can turn after a couple of bad results. Two big games now against Arsenal and City, a great chance to lengthen the gap but a run of games which could just as easily go the other way. Every team has plenty of games to play and everyone will take points of each other but Liverpool fans should be quietly (being the operative word) confident. United look much better in the last two games. And lastly. happy 101 to Eden Hazard!

Until a week or two ago, city had an air of invincibility and that Liverpool would have to go unbeaten to have a chance. Now it's clear city can be beaten, the race feels wide open. Having a six point buffer now just feels like enough room at the top that I can stop being a bag of nerves every match.

17 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Until a week or two ago, city had an air of invincibility and that Liverpool would have to go unbeaten to have a chance. Now it's clear city can be beaten, the race feels wide open. Having a six point buffer now just feels like enough room at the top that I can stop being a bag of nerves every match.

3 losses in 4 games is pretty terrible by their standards 

1 hour ago, Dan R said:

I think 6 points with half a season to play and city to play Liverpool at home means that buffer isn't as big as it seems. I think City have to be sensible in that game, a draw would still leave plenty of time to make up the points. They shouldn't risk losing for the win.

24 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think 6 points with half a season to play and city to play Liverpool at home means that buffer isn't as big as it seems. I think City have to be sensible in that game, a draw would still leave plenty of time to make up the points. They shouldn't risk losing for the win.

It's not that big at all and before city's last two games, but it's way bigger than any Liverpool fan thought we'd get at any point. Could easily lose the next two games and that advantage could be gone.

It's going to be interesting seeing how that game goes. A city loss would be terrible for them but a draw would be absolutely fine. I wonder if Pep will want them to make a statement win though.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I disagree. City need the win a lot more than Liverpool. They'll then need Liverpool to get one more draw and two more losses than them to be in with a chance if it's a draw.

A draw would help spurs though!

'They have conceded seven goals in their last 20 Premier League games, and two in their last eight. Just as impressive is that Liverpool have allowed the opposition to have more than three shots on target in just three of their last 12 league games.'

From.football 365

That sounds like a title winning team...

11 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think it's fun that someone's actually challenging City this year. I still think they'll win it, but it being close will be entertaining.

Can’t remember the last proper title race, United/city perhaps when city won on goal difference. 

5 hours ago, zahidf said:

I disagree. City need the win a lot more than Liverpool. They'll then need Liverpool to get one more draw and two more losses than them to be in with a chance if it's a draw.

A draw would help spurs though!

City may need the win more, but we certainly aren't in fling the keeper up territory yet.

It's funny how everyone discounts spurs because deep down we all know spurs will be spurs!

11 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It's funny how everyone discounts spurs because deep down we all know spurs will be spurs!

Only a few weeks ago folk on here were saying Arsenal were a shoe in for top 4 over spurs and Chelsea. 

What a difference a Christmas programme can make. 

I still fancy Arsenal for top 4. I just think they have a more rounded squad. If Hazard gets injured Chelsea are screwed.

If Spurs had the mentality to win the title they'd have done it in the year Leicester did. Without them signing a genuine world-class player who's already won something and can lift the dressing room, they're not going to seriously compete for the really big trophies.