Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

10 hours ago, finn_with_1_n said:

oh see in my mind, Ally Pally is a £30-40 venue. aside from acts with prestige (thinking The Smile who can get away with a high 50s), it’s always felt like a sub-40 ticket. I’ve been 15-odd times there and for the majority they’ve been around £35

but at this point it’s simply impossible to ignore that every venue is just more expensive now. my gig calendar has drastically shrunk because I simply can’t afford it anymore. to me £50 for Fontaines is silly (love the band, the new single is a scorcher). I’ve seen the likes of Dua Lipa, Hot Chip and Everything Everything there - all around £30. Twenty One Pilots circa Blurryface was £30 - obvs 2016 is a different story. Vampire Weekend and LCD Soundsystem were £45 and £50 respectively. the latter two were exception to the rule pre-pandemic. but I guess it just means we have to expect most shows in larger venues to cost about 50% more. which in turn means I’m going to approx 50% less gigs

a. quick glance at Dice does indicate almost every show at AP is around £50

I guess it depends what you'd call a larger act

LCD you said were £50 - they are definitely in the larger act bracket imo

but yeah more expensive - i have hardly been to any gigs recently, its all so expensive - tickets aside the drinks just cost a fortune too!

On 4/17/2024 at 4:05 AM, clarkete said:

But those were historical wrong uns who have been in active festival circulation.  These aren't historical, or in active festival circulation and this festival is always trying to be more progressive about gender related issues - so it would be an embarrassing step back. 

GNR headlined last year despite allegations against Axl Rose being well-documented in the public domain, so Glasto hasn't exactly done a good job recently.

16 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

GNR headlined last year despite allegations against Axl Rose being well-documented in the public domain, so Glasto hasn't exactly done a good job recently.

Or ever if we're starting at this again.

GnR, Bowie, Rod Stewart, Iggy, Jagger, Ronnie Wood, Bill Wyman, John Peel, Page & Plant, T-Rex......

All wronguns.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, gfa said:

I guess it depends what you'd call a larger act

LCD you said were £50 - they are definitely in the larger act bracket imo

but yeah more expensive - i have hardly been to any gigs recently, its all so expensive - tickets aside the drinks just cost a fortune too!

I mean it's cheaper if you don't drink at gig venues but even then the costs are escalating wildly. I want to see The Killers in either London or Manchester but I just can't get enthusiastic about spending £75+ to sit in the back row.

1 hour ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Can't pretend I follow anything about him or them, but he was very much included in ones that I thought were historical (although one lawsuit was I believe end 2023 and related to one of them). 

I'd have been delighted for him not to play, but either way, I don't think G should be the first major UK festival that invites Win.  If they did I'd be flabbergasted if it didn't prompt one of the other acts to comment. 

17 hours ago, charlierc said:

I mean it's cheaper if you don't drink at gig venues but even then the costs are escalating wildly. I want to see The Killers in either London or Manchester but I just can't get enthusiastic about spending £75+ to sit in the back row.

That is a gig just to hit twickets later on

3 hours ago, Purple aki squat said:

Black keys still on for Saturday.

Might have plenty of drinks before I get there, sounds like the organisation of it is absolutely shite.

Looks like the Man City lot genuinely can’t organise a piss up.

They'll fill more seats in the coop that the etihad though so they can brag about that 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, charlierc said:

So... what's going on here?

The reduced capacity test event happened saturday, 2 days prior. They had to uninvite 4000 ticket holders, some with as little notice as an hour before doors according to the Guardian. Someone in MEN claims the electricians are so far behind that only 20% of the cables are in.

An half run test event on a saturday then supposedly full opening on the monday is an incredible level of optimism, and fitting from the people who built a modern arena with no rail links.

They had a feature on it on the news on saturday. Looks really nice. Owner (manager?) claimed it houses the biggest pub in the world, which sounds unbelievable.

18 hours ago, Purple aki squat said:

Black keys still on for Saturday.

Might have plenty of drinks before I get there, sounds like the organisation of it is absolutely shite.

Looks like the Man City lot genuinely can’t organise a piss up.

there's a co-op inside so bar queues etc don't seem an issue

worth noting its insanely expensive (£9 pint at bars, cans £7.50 in the coop)

7 hours ago, Padjeq said:

The reduced capacity test event happened saturday, 2 days prior. They had to uninvite 4000 ticket holders, some with as little notice as an hour before doors according to the Guardian. Someone in MEN claims the electricians are so far behind that only 20% of the cables are in.

An half run test event on a saturday then supposedly full opening on the monday is an incredible level of optimism, and fitting from the people who built a modern arena with no rail links.

They had a feature on it on the news on saturday. Looks really nice. Owner (manager?) claimed it houses the biggest pub in the world, which sounds unbelievable.

If true, that's particularly damning and problematic.

Not helping me decide if I'm up for coming up to Manchester for one of The Killers' Co-Op Arena dates in June.

17 hours ago, charlierc said:

If true, that's particularly damning and problematic.

Not helping me decide if I'm up for coming up to Manchester for one of The Killers' Co-Op Arena dates in June.

If there's still problems at the Olivia Rodrigo gigs next week it's going to be quite the night on social media.

51 minutes ago, foolee said:

How come Manchester has a new arena anyway, MEN or AO is a good arena. 

AO Arena is fine, I wouldn't call it good. It's quite dated and a bit of a nightmare logistically. Plus, it's never not booked. There is demand for another arena of this size in the area because the city is so well-visited, connected and established. There'll be no problems them both co-existing I don't think, and if anything could help consumers by driving prices down if competition did arise. There is demand in the city, supply must increase, that's the long and short of it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gejonimo said:

If I don't get to see Keane there on the 5th I'm going to throw fists

Me too. I'm travelling up from South Wales for that show and we fancied a few days in Manchester. We probably can't make a reschedule if they move it a week or so later. 

35 minutes ago, Gejonimo said:

AO Arena is fine, I wouldn't call it good. It's quite dated and a bit of a nightmare logistically. Plus, it's never not booked. There is demand for another arena of this size in the area because the city is so well-visited, connected and established. There'll be no problems them both co-existing I don't think, and if anything could help consumers by driving prices down if competition did arise. There is demand in the city, supply must increase, that's the long and short of it.

The thing that’s great about the current arena is that it’s on top of a railway station, with a tram stop which can take you all over the network in a city centre near a load of bus stops. 

new place in a rough area with no trains limited buses and a tram stop. It’s also about 30 min walk to the city centre. 

Considering there's a stadium next to it thats 3x the capacity and has survived for 20+ years i'm sure the Co-op will be fine!

(it is stupid though, no way would an arena 30 minutes from the nearest proper station like that be allowed in London)

Edited by gfa

9 hours ago, Padjeq said:

If there's still problems at the Olivia Rodrigo gigs next week it's going to be quite the night on social media.

It sounds like that might well have issues anyway given one of those gigs is on the same day as a Manchester City home game that Sky picked as a late (5:30pm) kick-off.