Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

8 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Hmm maybe. I would have thought eight months would be ample time for a band the size of Vampire Weekend to find a support act. 

It’s definitely gonna be an extended set/two sets rather than any kind of Q&A or anything like that. I would’ve been happy enough with a lot of the support acts from the other shows, but even more of the band I’m paying for is a huge win for me so I’m stoked that’s what they’re doing for their Manchester shows. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

It’s definitely gonna be an extended set/two sets rather than any kind of Q&A or anything like that. I would’ve been happy enough with a lot of the support acts from the other shows, but even more of the band I’m paying for is a huge win for me so I’m stoked that’s what they’re doing for their Manchester shows. 

Yeah it is an extended set/two sets.

When I've seen Bon Iver do "an evening with" they did 2 sets and it was absolutely brilliant. 

I'm a bit gutted that the london date I've got Tickets for VW isn't an evening with.  China Crisis are fine but ideally I would just have more VM.

17 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They're so popping up at the G aren't they.

IDK - I was having this conversation with my wife last night.

In some respect it seems pretty likely as they have a history of playing unannounced and "small" gigs - I think they did Coachella previously + it would work for the band on rebuilding their fanbase.

I don't know whether there would be too much negativity and controversy in the press and on-site + Glasto work with a lot of charities.  Understandably, there is a lot of strong emotion about what has happened and I wonder whether it just isn't a good fit for the festival.

That having been said several festivals booked them as headliners since in Europe and South America.

As previously a massive fan who loves Funeral, If they were there, playing it in full it would make me feel really uncomfortable.  

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

IDK - I was having this conversation with my wife last night.

In some respect it seems pretty likely as they have a history of playing unannounced and "small" gigs - I think they did Coachella previously + it would work for the band on rebuilding their fanbase.

I don't know whether there would be too much negativity and controversy in the press and on-site + Glasto work with a lot of charities.  Understandably, there is a lot of strong emotion about what has happened and I wonder whether it just isn't a good fit for the festival.

That having been said several festivals booked them as headliners since in Europe and South America.

As previously a massive fan who loves Funeral, If they were there, playing it in full it would make me feel really uncomfortable.  

I'm with you about feeling unconfortable watching them but I'm not sure if it would necessarily put them off being booked.

Most people would have known James Brown was a notorious wifebeater, yet still tuned up to watch him in 2004. Jackson Browne has had a good slot on the Pyramid Stage after similar allegations have been made against him.

Axl Rose is alleged to have done some awful things towards women yet still headlined a couple of years ago. Bez played last year despite being convicted of assaulting an ex, and then breaching a follow-up restraining order.

I'm not sure where the organisers would draw the line? Chris Brown?

Apologies for going a bit off-topic in the tour annoiuncements thread but I suppose it shows how much Arcade Fire's stock has dropped in the UK. Until a couple of years ago, they'd have been a shoe-in for APE, Finsbury Par, Crystal Palce or even BST.

14 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

How did you find Aviva Studios as a venue? Not done a gig there yet, only done the comedy but that was in the theatre bit not the hall. 

14 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Impressive. Think of it as a posh warehouse! Cavernous (really high ceiling) but still managing to feel intimate (think it's a 5000 cap.). Two smallish bars on either side towards the back. One minor issue is I think the only toilets are back downstairs, which could be a pain. Might need someone to validate that. Really friendly staff. Can't give you a definitive rating on the sound because I was right on the barrier but I've seen from others it was decent. Getting out took a little while, only two smallish exits were open post-gig. Convenient location not far from Deansgate/Spinningfields areas, loads of bars, etc. I got there early so getting in was simple but I did also hear the queue to get in was long a little later on. All-in-all though, I liked it

Agree with all of that. To add to the sound bit, I saw DMA's there, and for me I've always found they struggle with sound a bit at bigger venues. I was reasonably near the front and the sounds was perfect, so crisp and clear. 

Absolutely loved the venue. Also, if you drink pints then use those machines at the back if they're still there, the drinks were good (cider anyway) and the queue goes so quick

My only complaint is that more hasn't been announced for there!

Edited by efcfanwirral

On 4/15/2024 at 10:46 AM, Padjeq said:

image.thumb.jpeg.a38a99a4bad8c921812784d7e29a64cf.jpeg

Rain City Drive were formerly known as Slaves (and informally known as Slaves (US)). But they sacked off troubled and troubling singer Jonny Craig and renamed.

image.thumb.jpeg.e0ffded6d7da61c8030b48d3c366415b.jpeg

Good album. Saw them perform it in full at Slam Dunk a while ago. Can't have been a 10 year celebration??

image.thumb.jpeg.0031b06a6177b197013726cb314257a4.jpeg

Anyone know the cost for Yellowcard?

24 minutes ago, jenko said:

I'm with you about feeling unconfortable watching them but I'm not sure if it would necessarily put them off being booked.

Most people would have known James Brown was a notorious wifebeater, yet still tuned up to watch him in 2004. Jackson Browne has had a good slot on the Pyramid Stage after similar allegations have been made against him.

Axl Rose is alleged to have done some awful things towards women yet still headlined a couple of years ago. Bez played last year despite being convicted of assaulting an ex, and then breaching a follow-up restraining order.

Apologies for going a bit off-topic in the tour annoiuncements thread but I suppose it shows how much Arcade Fire's stock has dropped in the UK. Until a couple of years ago, they'd have been a shoe-in for APE, Finsbury Par, Crystal Palce or even BST.

No promoter wants to be the first to book them. They could definitely do APE for example, but it seems they aren't interested in booking them at present.

They are doing big shows abroad still - a market that is really not that different to the UK (just with promoters who don't seem to care)

1 hour ago, jenko said:

yeah it is a thorny one isn't it.

I saw James Brown in 2004 actually - albeit as a 23 year old who was ignorant to his past (even though I appreciate now that it is well documented).

I'm with you that there have been people who have played with similar allegations and so it isn't impossible. I think where it feels a bit different is that last time they played the uk it was such big news.  Front page of BBC news homepage and a number of people actively voting with their feet and returning tickets for the remaining UK gigs that feels relatively recent.

I feel, rightly or wrongly, that this gig is dipping a toe in the UK market again to see how it goes - for the band and the promoters. If it is okay then I think the next run will be back to those larger 1 day London festivals/gigs. 

19 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Sounds great, a pal of mine that went mentioned the high ceilings - she said it almost felt like an outside gig. 

The high ceiling allows for much adaptability, floors or partial floors can be added to the space, and it can be vertically divided too, plus the more conventional theatre seating area can also be part of the gig/theatre/show etc creating a huge space.

Just so happens I’m working there tomorrow….

5 hours ago, gfa said:

No promoter wants to be the first to book them. They could definitely do APE for example, but it seems they aren't interested in booking them at present.

They are doing big shows abroad still - a market that is really not that different to the UK (just with promoters who don't seem to care)

Yeah, can't see any chance of him being asked to come back to G anytime soon and long may that continue  👍

I think multiple recent accusations are a bit different from  historical issues with other performers and even for those one wonders if they would be booked again today. 

Edited by clarkete

35 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

The high ceiling allows for much adaptability, floors or partial floors can be added to the space, and it can be vertically divided too, plus the more conventional theatre seating area can also be part of the gig/theatre/show etc creating a huge space.

Just so happens I’m working there tomorrow….

Ooh what brings you there tomorrow?

I’ve actually been in the theatre but for a comedy Christmas show with Simon Amstell, Fern Brady, Tim Key and Ivo Graham. Was decent but as you say pretty conventional. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

£111.70 for arcade fire? Sod that

Would be interested to know where you've seen this too. Wasn't Malahide only about €70?

I'd set my limit at £85 for this show - £112 is way too much.

41 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Ooh what brings you there tomorrow?

I’ve actually been in the theatre but for a comedy Christmas show with Simon Amstell, Fern Brady, Tim Key and Ivo Graham. Was decent but as you say pretty conventional. 

I’m doing an interesting project, the Manchester equivalent of https://www.humansofnewyork.com/ with help from Factory International and others.