"Really big secret"

Supernintendo Chalmers

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They always announce that slot. It's been the de facto fourth headliner for years.  Barry Gibb's voice may be shot, but he's definitely got a back catalogue worth shouting about.

Unless he's not the legend.

He certainly fits the bill as a legend and could easily be booked to play that slot. But it's very strange that someone whose name has been bandied about since last summer hasn't been announced, when like you say we'd normally know by now.

Maybe they're just having a bit of fun watching the speculation, maybe it's not him and that's the big secret. If it's not him that would certainly answer those who wonder how he's going to pull it off with the state of his voice.

Macca's a biggie, sure, but it's not like it's hard to see him if you're so inclined. He still tours regularly. I mean, just looking at what Emily said: "There's a really big one. I haven't even hinted or told anyone it's coming and we've managed to keep it completely quiet for the first time ever."... would she go to those lengths for Macca? Not even hinting to anyone? To paraphrase Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada: "Macca for Glastonbury? Groundbreaking."

(I would, of course, fucking love Macca.)

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm going to go for Macca. They've been announcing the 'teatime slot' for years and haven't done so this year. If not Macca, then someone else substantially bigger than Gibb in the legend slot.

Four years ago almost to the week I was chatting with ME and Macca came up (In conversation, not in person :)  ) and ME said that he was so glad he got him playing when he did as now his voice is shot. Elder daughter then piped up and told ME that her posse watched the start of Macca and then bailed out to watch Basement Jaxx as Macca was shit. No respect, these youngsters. :D 

5 minutes ago, Bisque said:

I'm at the RAH gig & they said they'd love to do a DJ set on it

edit: one of Sigma & 4/5 of their crew

Ah, not literally smash up the spider then.

It's at times like this I feel old and irrelevant.

33 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Four years ago almost to the week I was chatting with ME and Macca came up (In conversation, not in person :)  ) and ME said that he was so glad he got him playing when he did as now his voice is shot. Elder daughter then piped up and told ME that her posse watched the start of Macca and then bailed out to watch Basement Jaxx as Macca was shit. No respect, these youngsters. :D 

I know @Dillyblue and @blobm  would be over the moon if Macca played again!

12 minutes ago, jparx said:

Macca would be a mammoth announcement. He would be the biggest act to ever play the festival as a non-headliner. He would be the biggest coup for the legends slot since it became a thing.

I'd agree with every word of that had he not played 10 years ago. That takes the edge off it a bit as a mammoth announcement.

And if I'd not heard him do Hey Jude at the Olympics.

4 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

For a minute there I honestly thought elder daughter was referring to EE :D 

imagine if they didn't announce it though, just a big 'TO BE ANNOUNCED' at the Sunday's legend slot.

Somehow they manage to keep it under wrap until the day of the festival...

Then Macca show up with his band for 'Sgt. Pepper...', and Ringo shows up as Billy Shears is introduced...

That would be the greatest Glastonbury moment of all time

Edited by defrio29
  • Upvote 5

I haven't read every page of this thread, but has anyone else suggested this is just the usual Eavis exaggeration? "Best year ever"  etc. 

It's probably a new type of toilet or an extra tent in Williams Green rather than a Beatles reunion.

17 minutes ago, ceetee said:

I haven't read every page of this thread, but has anyone else suggested this is just the usual Eavis exaggeration? "Best year ever"  etc. 

It's probably a new type of toilet or an extra tent in Williams Green rather than a Beatles reunion.

I was thinking the same thing, we've hyped it up that much with some huge suggestions that it could end up being a major disappointment. 

We're all expecting a Buzz Lightyear for Christmas and going to end up with a Mr Potato Head! 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Padgey said:

I was thinking the same thing, we've hyped it up that much with some huge suggestions that it could end up being a major disappointment. 

We're all expecting a Buzz Lightyear for Christmas and going to end up with a Mr Potato Head! 

That is the best analogy for a massive disappointment I've have ever heard!!!

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Buzz's early stuff was brilliant but he's been shit since he got popular

1 hour ago, Padgey said:

71n53lLANbL._SY355_.jpg.5551776eb3d805a16b3ea12d4fd29159.jpg

• Upvote 1