People using other peoples tickets

Ollie9917

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Ollie9917 said:

So my friends have very stupidly bought a fucking ticket and then realized they actually may be away (who does that?)

we have a friend who looks kind of similar what are the chances of them getting away with it?

thanks xx

A couple of years ago the person in front of me tried getting in with someone elses ticket, but the wrist band people were having none of it and took him off tot he side. The embarrassment and anguish of having gone all that way to not be let in isn't worth the risk, in my opinion. The fairest thing is to cancel the ticket and have it put in the re-sale pot.

9 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Is it worth having a back up, maybe take the ticket owner's driving licence photo ID if he has one, so if questioned do a double bluff and say yes the photo isn't great but here's my ID too....

I think this is your best option. The photo on my ticket is a smooth young sleek me with short hair and no beard. Now I have a bun and a decent sized beard. Last year I got asked for ID which in my picture of my ID I also look nothing like I do now. But they let me in.

I think if you're confident and you have the persons ID aswell you'll get in

Edited by Deadendfriends8

I have an old photo on my ticket, I like the photo, so I keep using it :) but I get asked to take my hat off, smile like I am in the photo most times when I go through the gate (I'm in east caravan usually) so if you're just going through once, -maybe- you'll get someone whos near the end of their shift, maybe not though.

Wow, down voted to buggery. Just wondering if it's for the content of my post or because of the big 'space' thing? If it's the later, then I'd like people to know that I didn't do it on purpose. I haven't got the foggiest how it came to be. I'm crap with computers and could find a way to stop it. If it's the content of my post then fair enough. Would just like to know which offended the most?

My mate got in last year and it said Miss on his ticket and he is most definitely a bloke. Woman who scanned it first asked a few questions, then gave it to her supervisor who just said crack on mate and let him in.

Some person might check it and think fuck it, it's a proper ticket good luck to them. The next person might be power tripping and refuse entry.

Whatever happens you need large cajones. 

15 hours ago, APPLES77 said:

caveat emptor - if the mate that looks like them is willing to take the chance and pay up front, then game on. If not your friend who might be "away" somewhere more important than Glastonbury (I can only assume at her majesties pleasure) should get a refund or a priority readjustment  while there is still time and suck up the transaction charge (£20?)

What the hell is a priority readjustment?? 

me and the misses got in on someone else tickets in 2010. Both pictures looked nothing like either of us, its all down to the person who checks the ticket and if your willing to take that risk. 

The guy who checked my ticket clearly knew it wasn't me but just let me though. I would like to think most of the people checking just want to be their and not bothered.

@SwedgeAntilles other had a ticket but couldn't go a few years ago, and one of our other friends used her ticket successfully. They don't look particularly alike, other than both having blonde hair. 

I think it's really just your luck. I know I wouldn't fancy coming all the way down knowing I might get turned away though. 

Has anyone here ever worked the tickets on the front gate? I would imagine they must get drummed in to them to be thorough with the ticket check with severe consequences for anyone caught letting someone in on the wrong ticket.

Do they send (or at least tell the staff they are going to) 'undercover agents' through to check that the proper checks are in place?

I've always wondered about how i would go about it if the unimaginable happened and i didn't get a proper ticket (only just managed to get one on Sunday, so I've been thinking about these things!)

What about slipping £50 or something under the ticket when you pass it over with a wink, but obviously then you are admitting it's not you.

13 minutes ago, mazola said:

Has anyone here ever worked the tickets on the front gate? I would imagine they must get drummed in to them to be thorough with the ticket check with severe consequences for anyone caught letting someone in on the wrong ticket.

Do they send (or at least tell the staff they are going to) 'undercover agents' through to check that the proper checks are in place?

I've always wondered about how i would go about it if the unimaginable happened and i didn't get a proper ticket (only just managed to get one on Sunday, so I've been thinking about these things!)

What about slipping £50 or something under the ticket when you pass it over with a wink, but obviously then you are admitting it's not you.

What would the severe consequences be though? Once they're in they're in and it's very unlikely to come back on them, and anybody working the gate is just there to have fun and be at the festival, so unless you get some absolute jobsworth then I can't imagine they'd give a hoot about any consequences.

I'm not disagreeing with you by the way, I imagine what you describe is exactly what happens, but I'd imagine that for the vast majority who work the gate, it's not massively in their own interests to care too much who is on the ticket despite what they might be told.

If it was me I'd just be thinking if the ticket is a genuine ticket who cares if it belongs to them or not, they've got this far so fair play to them.

If the guys ID picture on the ticket you're using is of him clean shaven then it's time to start growing a beard, it's amazing how much difference that will make for an ID check. 8 weeks is enough time to get a decent growth, can always shave it back off once you're in although a beard is a wonderful thing to have.

Same is true if the ID picture already has a beard, being clean shaven at entry is a valid excuse for a different looking picture.

57 minutes ago, 1waveydavey said:

Ive upvoted you - Im not great with computers and your long post made me chuckle.

Nothing wrong with the content you posted either.

Cheers mate :)

Yeah, I must have pressed some button (probably the return button I suspect) inadvertently. But then half way down there's a load of dashes. I guess I must have pressed another button in order to do that. Yet again, inadvertently. Thinking about it right now, I may be able to go in and edit it. Will try. Hadn't thought about that option last night,

18 minutes ago, mazola said:

I do. Have done for years.  Mystery shoppers (or undercover agents!) are used, as far as I understand it both the festival and the council send some. Some are quite subtle, some are blatantly not the person on the ticket. Remember we are all volunteers working for our tickets. Even the supervisors. Oxfam don't really push the consequences for individuals letting in the wrong person, more the consequences for Oxfam (losing the contract) or the festival. Unless of course someone did take a bribe. Some people take it seriously, some people don't care. I tend more towards taking it seriously. For reasons like Oxfam losing the contract and therefore income, and the potential for Glastonbury losing their licence and all those big reasons, but also for the simple reason that I said I would. When I signed up to be a steward I agreed to do my job (and it is a job, I get 'paid' with a ticket) properly. So it seems fair that I hold up my end of the bargain.

I've managed to edit the long page bit. I don't know why that didn't occur to me at the time.  I'm still really curious if those who down voted me did so because of the content or the long empty post bit. I can understand it if people are opposed to the content, although it only amounts up to the same as others have indicated who haven't been down voted. Therefore I can only think that it was the long post bit. However, I can't see any reason why that would upset people enough to down vote. I would only down vote somebody if they were being a right c**t. Oh, hold on a moment .........

FWIW for the op, we had a friend last year that obtained a ticket that had somebody else's name on, but it was also for a performer on a specific stage (so the individual was an assistant of, or worked for this performer) The ticket didn't have a picture on. We were staying in CV east so we had to go through gate C everyday to get into the festival. The ticket clearly said ID must be produced on entry. Every time our friend tried to get in she was asked for ID (which she obviously didn't have as it was a completely different person) and every time she managed to blag it and get in, bare in mind she had to do this 5 times. On first entry she had to go to this specific stage and get a special wristband so each time she had to enter afterwards, she had this wristband on, but she still had to produce the ticket and was asked for ID and each time, but she managed to get in without producing any ID every day she tried. I know it's a slightly different situation but your friend only has to be lucky once and I'd say from my experience the odds at in their favour.

Jaysis yog. Calm down. I down voted ( I don't read who posts till after if it annoys me but no fucking way was i scrolling back up again) because of the huge blank space that made me think my phone was fucked. So didn't realise it was you. 

I also get annoyed by people who are the second to post and quote massive op posts. You get plenty of upvotes all the time and don't question them. 

12 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

What would the severe consequences be though? Once they're in they're in and it's very unlikely to come back on them, and anybody working the gate is just there to have fun and be at the festival, so unless you get some absolute jobsworth then I can't imagine they'd give a hoot about any consequences.

I'm not disagreeing with you by the way, I imagine what you describe is exactly what happens, but I'd imagine that for the vast majority who work the gate, it's not massively in their own interests to care too much who is on the ticket despite what they might be told.

If it was me I'd just be thinking if the ticket is a genuine ticket who cares if it belongs to them or not, they've got this far so fair play to them.

I guess the consequence is greater if you want to work again for them in future years (or at other festivals).

All said though, I assume the photo is just the initial line of defense here. I've never heard a single story of someone not getting in on a 100% legitimate ticket. So if they doubt the photo, they have to confirm ID another way and there's probably a fairly limited set of information they have access to. So as well as having some supporting ID, you'd want to know 'your' address, when the ticket was bought (resale or main), who the lead booker was, who else was in 'your' group and so on.

I've no idea if they go any further than that. I guess theoretically they could have someone searching social media for the person on the ticket, matching it with public photos and asking you for your Twitter account name, or anything posted publicly on Facebook or what not... my gut says that would be excessive but possible.