Counting down the memories

Simpo

I really enjoyed the memories and photographs conjured by the creation of *this topic*. It also got me excited for June faaaar too early. ;) Nice one @Harebell for starting it and inspiring plenty of others to follow on.

So to build our excitement yet further, and to space things out rather than trying to pile years of Glastonbury nostalgia together at once, why don't we look back at certain festivals each week?

We currently have 9.95 weeks til the doors open, so what thoughts and pictures does anyone have from 2009, 1999, 1989, or even 1979? For time machine owners, please avoid 2019 spoilers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2009 was my first festival. On the Thursday night everyone kept asking if it was true that Michael Jackson was dead. I was convinced it was one of those silly rumours that go about the festival site so was telling people it was all bollocks. I got a text from my mum of all people asking if I'd heard the news and I was so guffed on tequila it took me nearly an hour to figure out that she couldn't possibly be in on the typical traditional silly Glasto rumour.

9 hours ago, OneLittleFish said:

2009 was my first festival. On the Thursday night everyone kept asking if it was true that Michael Jackson was dead. I was convinced it was one of those silly rumours that go about the festival site so was telling people it was all bollocks. I got a text from my mum of all people asking if I'd heard the news and I was so guffed on tequila it took me nearly an hour to figure out that she couldn't possibly be in on the typical traditional silly Glasto rumour.

My team was working in the WBC Crew bar when fellow workers came back and was going on about Jackson { now they are coming from all areas of the site - so it was clear this was not rubbish } - In fact that crew area also has a large TV but like many things it being a low priority item # it was there but had not been set up # and no one had a clue if the aerial guy had been.

Anyway to stop all the demands to plug in the TV we did the next best solution ' We hid the TV Set ' - I went back to my tent as I had a Portable DAB Radio and sure enough it was all over the news ' so walked back to the bar and plugged my DAB Radio into the Bars own PA system so people could hear the news - later on we tracked down the aerial guy and he wired it up so everyone was able to see the news.

But that is now why I remember 2009 for - it was the bloody traffic jams - I quote from a local paper

# Traffic chaos not our fault, say festival organisers

The Glastonbury Festival 2009 bought chaos to the roads around Shepton Mallet, but organisers say the problems were not all their fault.

Among the problems conspiring to make journeys around the area a misery for road users were a deer running loose on the site, which led to a gate being opened half an hour later than planned and contributed to a build-up of traffic.

Accidents on the M4 and A39 compounded the problem, causing chaos on major roads through the area, and problems in residential areas as festival-goers attempted to avoid the traffic jams.#

Now we left London and we were coming up from the A303 in a crew Coach - we should have arrived at 4pm but the idiot driver ignored the ' Glasto this way ' and drove down a Unlisted road - I was straight onto him to reverse { as after all I knew the roads far better than he did - he had never driven to Glasto before }  but no he knew better - at times we were in danger of demolishing a few houses as his wing mirrors were touching two thatched roofs { on opposite sides of the road } - the locals were going Nuts - We did make it to the end but ' we were now on the wrong side of Glastonbury town heading East and that is when we encountered the worst traffic jam I have ever seen since I started going in 1979.

people were able to leave the Coach - have a meal and drink and a game of pool in a local Pub and got back to discover the coach had only moved ' 30 feet '

so rather than getting there at 4pm we did not arrive until 2am - it was not just us as there was other WBC coaches who got caught out and it was decided that from that year on the Crew Coaches would arrive a day early .

never found out what caused it - at my side was two friends from Iceland ' they thought the traffic was normal ' because it was their first time .

as we had arrived so late ' only I could get into the WBC Compound as Security recognised me ' but the rest of the Coach was stuffed and had to camp outside our crew site although I was able to bring them out drinks. 

so its over that idiot driver just making one mistake that added 10 extra hours to our Journey

A shot from the Monday - the same Coach and the same driver 

glasto-53-1000.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker

Ok not a Glastonbury memory but in 2009 I was on honeymoon in Uganda when the Michael Jackson news broke, it was a group overland trip in a converted truck, about 20 of us, we played nothing but Michael Jackson songs on the radio as we headed for Rwanda.

7 minutes ago, xJaggySnake said:

After watching Neil Young, hearing the news that Michael Jackson had died. 

But my main memory from that year is Blur -Tender. How fucking good was that!?

One of my favourite things at Glastonbury ever. 

Wherever I wandered afterwards you would still hear pockets of people singing it.

In 2009 Rolf Harris played Jazz World, as it was known then, and it was busy and very hot. I was incredibly hungover and couldn't handle the heat. I got a pint of Brothers, a Pieminster (pies, heat and hangover don't mix) and slowly died in the shade of someone's chair. It was all a bit grim.

I also remember buying a Guardian and reading that they had published a story about people at Glastonbury thinking that Jackson's death was all a rumour. It was too meta for me to handle.

Edited by Untz

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

My team was working in the WBC Crew bar when fellow workers came back and was going on about Jackson { now they are coming from all areas of the site - so it was clear this was not rubbish } - In fact that crew area also has a large TV but like many things it being a low priority item # it was there but had not been set up # and no one had a clue if the aerial guy had been.

Anyway to stop all the demands to plug in the TV we did the next best solution ' We hid the TV Set ' - I went back to my tent as I had a Portable DAB Radio and sure enough it was all over the news ' so walked back to the bar and plugged my DAB Radio into the Bars own PA system so people could hear the news - later on we tracked down the aerial guy and he wired it up so everyone was able to see the news.

But that is now why I remember 2009 for - it was the bloody traffic jams - I quote from a local paper

# Traffic chaos not our fault, say festival organisers

The Glastonbury Festival 2009 bought chaos to the roads around Shepton Mallet, but organisers say the problems were not all their fault.

Among the problems conspiring to make journeys around the area a misery for road users were a deer running loose on the site, which led to a gate being opened half an hour later than planned and contributed to a build-up of traffic.

Accidents on the M4 and A39 compounded the problem, causing chaos on major roads through the area, and problems in residential areas as festival-goers attempted to avoid the traffic jams.#

Now we left London and we were coming up from the A303 in a crew Coach - we should have arrived at 4pm but the idiot driver ignored the ' Glasto this way ' and drove down a Unlisted road - I was straight onto him to reverse { as after all I knew the roads far better than he did - he had never driven to Glasto before }  but no he knew better - at times we were in danger of demolishing a few houses as his wing mirrors were touching two thatched roofs { on opposite sides of the road } - the locals were going Nuts - We did make it to the end but ' we were now on the wrong side of Glastonbury town heading East and that is when we encountered the worst traffic jam I have ever seen since I started going in 1979.

people were able to leave the Coach - have a meal and drink and a game of pool in a local Pub and got back to discover the coach had only moved ' 30 feet '

so rather than getting there at 4pm we did not arrive until 2am - it was not just us as there was other WBC coaches who got caught out and it was decided that from that year on the Crew Coaches would arrive a day early .

never found out what caused it - at my side was two friends from Iceland ' they thought the traffic was normal ' because it was their first time .

as we had arrived so late ' only I could get into the WBC Compound as Security recognised me ' but the rest of the Coach was stuffed and had to camp outside our crew site although I was able to bring them out drinks. 

so its over that idiot driver just making one mistake that added 10 extra hours to our Journey

A shot from the Monday - the same Coach and the same driver 

glasto-53-1000.jpg

never quite got over this driver have you

2009 was my first too.  We were in a tent playing reggae by the market crossroads when the DJ asked people to get off the tables.  He then announced that Jackson was dead and then people got back on the tables and carried on.  Best memory was the walk in from the car park through the East CV fields to the top of the hill of death.  It was around dusk and to hear the buzz and see the site laid out in front of you for the first time was pretty special.

I'm another 2009 first timer. We were in camper-vans, and I remember leaving Shrewsbury about 11am and finally parking up at about 1am the next day. Oddly though I didn't remember the traffic until I read this thread. I do remember there was one young-ish fellow staggering along the road who appeared to have gotten through a lot of "supplies" en-route. He actually was keeping pace with traffic despite taking a less than direct path.

I still recall my first view of the site from the top of the hill of death. I also recall being somewhat trepidatious. A 46 year old going to his first Glastonbury without a big group felt a bit odd. Got over that quick.

Musically I did what I expect most first-timers do and mostly stayed in front of the Pyramid, but what a year for that. Neil Young on the first night was amazing. I found myself next to some random and we talked a bit and had a great time.

Springsteen, the motivator for attending was very disappointing. Seen him better before and since. Then Blur... was completely knackered by that point, but what a show.

Must have had an impact as the only one I've missed since was 2014 and that was only because it was very close to the due date for my second child. Fortunatly born after Glastonbury rather than during. If she had been born that week it would have cause some issues.

4 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

never quite got over this driver have you

I was standing right beside him and the traffic sign was very clear - he should have taken the third exit - he took the second exit - now I have never driven a coach but there is no way would I have turned at that junction as it was a very narrow road - once on it we were stuck - there was other side roads but there was no room to turn the coach.

I will say something in his favour - he did go over his hours and he did get us there

Amazingly some of the residents within Glastonbury town were letting some of the people from the coach use their toilet.

By sods law - the crew camp moved that year and none of us had a map but I knew it was next to the chicken houses and I had a good idea where they were but it was pitch black so we had to stop the coach and listen - everyone else who did not know me must have thought I was crazy - anyway after stopping three times ' we did hear the chickens

The field it was on is now called Bushy Ground { but that did not open to the public until 2010 so it did not appear on the 2009 map } 

Overall the Coach Company was at fault as they did claim all their drivers had driven to Glastonbury before and because of that balls up they lost the WBC contract for the whole year.

I still don't know what caused it - there was No cars heading east on the A361 - when we got close the cars speeded up - all very strange.

On the Monday just could not believe it was the same driver but he got back without any problems.

Edited by glasto-worker

5 hours ago, xJaggySnake said:

After watching Neil Young, hearing the news that Michael Jackson had died. 

But my main memory from that year is Blur -Tender. How fucking good was that!?

Another 2009 first timer, a lot of it has blurred with time and, um, other things :P

Coming in at Gate B, catching glimpses of the site until finally coming in to the top of Big Ground and seeing it spread out. Pitching the tents and then laying back in the sun with my first Glastonbury smoke. 

Impromptu Jackson discos outside late night stores. 

One store closing for sales and holding a bhangra dance class instead.

Blur. The Universal and then Tender.

Wandering off on my own for the first time and discovering Avalon and watching 3 Daft Monkeys.

Just happy happy times :)

Oh, and Sunday morning on my tod, sat with my back against a tree in the Glade with a breakfast crepe, coffee and a smoke, watching Breakfast with Howard Marks. Hell of a way to start Sunday.

Edited by Quark

Just looked down through the lineup of main stages - I saw very little that year, but remember having a great time.  Only things I was at on Pyramid were Blur and Fleet Foxes - highlight for me was probably Lancashire Hotpots at the Rabbit Hole.  

Lots of wandering around, I don't remember exploring nearly as much the only time I'd been before - for example I'd already found the 'underground' piano bar before they'd even opened.  They'd been digging out a crawl-space in the mud as an access to the venue.  I started crawling through, but got told to bugger off til they opened later.  I think they must have decided the tunnel they were digging wasn't safe as I don't think they were using it later - two doors either side?  and they implemented a proper concrete tunnel in subsequent years.

It was the first time I'd seen arcadia and I remember being hugely impressed.  It was where unfairground is now (but there was still easy access to the strummer stone), which seemed a great location for it in terms of atmosphere - if only it were a bit less popular. 

We traveled by train that year - only time I've done that and it was probably hugely lucky as we were waiting several hours for some people to make it.  Lots of stories similar to above, people popping into pubs while the bus hardly moved, being relayed by phone while we sat drinking pear cider.

The weather was fairly good - just enough rain to keep things slippy.  I may have bought some wellies when I was there, but not sure how much they were needed.

2009 was my second Glasto. I remember planning maticulously for it then completely sacking off most of the bands I've planned to see in favour of spending the whole day at Theatre & Circus. Since then it has been my favourite area of the festival and I've been doing the same Friday ritual each year. 

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I was standing right beside him and the traffic sign was very clear - he should have taken the third exit - he took the second exit - now I have never driven a coach but there is no way would I have turned at that junction as it was a very narrow road - once on it we were stuck - there was other side roads but there was no room to turn the coach.

I will say something in his favour - he did go over his hours and he did get us there

Amazingly some of the residents within Glastonbury town were letting some of the people from the coach use their toilet.

By sods law - the crew camp moved that year and none of us had a map but I knew it was next to the chicken houses and I had a good idea where they were but it was pitch black so we had to stop the coach and listen - everyone else who did not know me must have thought I was crazy - anyway after stopping three times ' we did hear the chickens

The field it was on is now called Bushy Ground { but that did not open to the public until 2010 so it did not appear on the 2009 map } 

Overall the Coach Company was at fault as they did claim all their drivers had driven to Glastonbury before and because of that balls up they lost the WBC contract for the whole year.

I still don't know what caused it - there was No cars heading east on the A361 - when we got close the cars speeded up - all very strange.

On the Monday just could not believe it was the same driver but he got back without any problems.

Got to say I love your Insight into the festival from a different side thank you 

My first Glastonbury was 2015... it puts it into context when people talk about 2009 and Michael Jackson, as I vividly remember the moment I heard that he had died. I was just at home and it popped up on the news, I woke up my very ex-girlfriend to tell her. I remember saying "you will never guess who has died" and we both couldn't believe it. As vivid as that memory was I have no recollection of even being aware Glastonbury was on at the time. Amazing how much my life has changed since, and I'm now happily married to somebody completely different as well as now being completely Glastonbury obsessed!

In 2009 we had what we believed to be a decent pitch in Dairy Ground right next to a hedge, conveniently located next to the path but not too close to be disturbed when we didn't want to be. If I remember correctly it rained heavily on the Thursday night so the ground was quite muddy for a bit but quickly dried up everywhere. Everywhere that is, except for directly around our tent. For the life of us we couldn't understand why everyone else's camp was dry as a bone and we were living surrounded by 6 inches of mud. Then on Sunday evening we worked it out. About 200 yards up the hill was a tap that everyone was using to fill their bottles, wash their hair, etc so as you can imagine the water stayed flowing, which turned into a constant stream and ran directly under our tent.

Oh, and somebody thought it would be a good idea (as it was our mate Jim's stag weekend) to dress as Jimmy Saville. 20 of us in shellsuits, blonde wigs and jewellery. But that was before "the Yewtree unpleasantness" was publicised. In hindsight I think we'd probably choose another "Jim" to dress up as.

Yes, Glastonbury 2009 was eventful.

I wasn't there in 2009 but my daughter was and, because of that, is completely responsible for us going in 2010 and completely falling in love.  Two main "memories" of her being there.  She told me that she too had been stuck in horrendous traffic and having had a few beers on the way, she was dying for a wee.  Eventually she decided to knock on someone's door to beg to use the toilet.  It was apparently no problem and the lady asked her if her friends needed to use it too.  Which they did.  Said lady then spotted them about 30 yards away down the road about half an hour later and made them sandwiches because she thought it might be a long time until they got the chance to get anything else to eat.   I thought that was such a lovely thing to do.   Also mandolin junior called me while she was watching Neil Young because he's always been a bit of a hero to me and held the phone up so that I could hear him.  I couldn't hear a damn thing of him (never told her) but heard the buzz of the crowd.  Love affair with the festival started and has grown and grown since. 

6 hours ago, Quark said:

Another 2009 first timer, a lot of it has blurred with time and, um, other things :P

Coming in at Gate B, catching glimpses of the site until finally coming in to the top of Big Ground and seeing it spread out. Pitching the tents and then laying back in the sun with my first Glastonbury smoke. 

Impromptu Jackson discos outside late night stores. 

One store closing for sales and holding a bhangra dance class instead.

Blur. The Universal and then Tender.

Wandering off on my own for the first time and discovering Avalon and watching 3 Daft Monkeys.

Just happy happy times :)

Oh, and Sunday morning on my tod, sat with my back against a tree in the Glade with a breakfast crepe, coffee and a smoke, watching Breakfast with Howard Marks. Hell of a way to start Sunday.

Wahay! I was there Quark, sat in a camping chair, with a teeny bottle of voddy to drip into my coffee, while scoffing a bacon sarny. Cracking start to the day!

And 2009 was the year I'd gone solo and had my entire one man tent and all my stuff moved / nicked on the Thursday while watching Maximo Park. Turned into one of my best years ever though!